Home

Lumping attribute upgrades into categories killed the variety

This is a discussion on Lumping attribute upgrades into categories killed the variety within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Lumping attribute upgrades into categories killed the variety

You can still allow upgrading individual attributes while putting a cap on the max of each by position.

If done properly Centers with crazy handles still wouldn't be possible.

But the way I have to upgrade other shooting stats just to improve free throw shooting for a post scorer is a prime example of how the current system sucks.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Pro

The categories are supposed to include attributes that are logically grouped together though. While I would love to increase free throws on my big without worrying about my jumper, does that make logical sense? How many great free throwers can't hit a J?

Or maybe I want my guard to be super fast but I don't care about his vert because I only want to play on the perimeter. Well ok but how many players have blazing speed but can't jump?

I'm not against individual attributes but I do think it results in some corny dudes with unbalanced stats. And I know a lot of people think it creates more variety, but in my experience, a handful of optimal builds float to the top and it's not long before we're left with 4 to 5 "archetypes" anyways.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Rookie

My Thing is if they want to go with Archetypes (In Online modes) They have to institute true weakness. Archetypes are essentially RPG-lite, so they have to make you play a role and stick to it. A Shot Creator shouldnt be able to drive to the hole dunking, and Glass Center shouldnt be knocking it down from the corner whats so ever

I made this post on here in 2015. The went this direction with Archetypes, but if they insist on them they need to go a bit further:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...5&postcount=16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTlFIED

- Skills should be put into 3 Great, Good, and Average rating system (One selection per). Im talking your online character So even if the demigod glitch returns it would be hard capped off from making a difference (offline should have no limits)

Outside Offense (midrange-3point range) (with ball), Inside Offense (from the post up to the elbow)(offense with ball), Defense (and offense without ball) should be the 3 Main categories. Stat rate depends on height, weight, position. Certain badges should be hard locked to certain postions (Centers, P. Fowards shouldnt be able to have Dead Eye, Killer Crossover. PGs SGs shouldnt be able to get Tenacious Rebound, and Posterizer)

At the creation point you have to choose to be great in one thing, good in one, and average in the last.

The great category attributes can be raised to 90-95 (again depend on H,W,P)

The good category attributes can be raised to 84-89 (again depend on H,W,P)

The Average category attributes can be raised to 73-79 (again depend on H,W,P)

This way you cant have a All Around Beast (In the My Park, JRC modes), and it forces team roles, cooperation.

Lets say you choose Great for defense (offense with out ball) but Average for outside offense, and your team has the ball:

You will have a player that can move around the court fast, get in position faster, have the hands to catch flashy passes (deep passes), set great picks,etc, however with the ball in their hands, they are not ideal to bring the ball up the court, they are slower when dribbling because their ball handling is low (kills the zig zag crap), and the 3 point shot is sub-par, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »