Home

Old Head 2K Dudes: Have You Actually TALKED To The Younger Generation of 2K Players?

This is a discussion on Old Head 2K Dudes: Have You Actually TALKED To The Younger Generation of 2K Players? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #49
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Old Head 2K Dudes: Have You Actually TALKED To The Younger Generation of 2K Playe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UravenzownU
I'm in the 20 yr old consider myself a 2k old head crowd lol.

Just want to say even though 2k has gotten way to mainstream for the worse I give them major props for improving there my league offline stuff.

Huge additions this year that still make it the best game for offline association heads even though everything is swaying away from real basketball to arcady NBA Jam type game.

2K11 still the best 2k
Yeah, man. 2K14 left a bad taste in my mouth with no Association mode and a restrictive MyGM. Then they had the nerve to charge us to do things like change rotations. What? I feared they were heading towards milking us too. Fortunately they realized it and now we have the most complete "franchise" mode on the market with more to come. I really appreciate that. As the game grew in popularity and sales they hired Leftos, a huge franchise buff, to work on that aspect. That's awesome. That's a wink and nod to us. I look at how some other sports games view franchise modes and I just shake my head. It makes me appreciate 2K more, warts and all.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #50
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Old Head 2K Dudes: Have You Actually TALKED To The Younger Generation of 2K Playe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
As the game grew in popularity and sales they hired Leftos, a huge franchise buff, to work on that aspect. That's awesome. That's a wink and nod to us. I look at how some other sports games view franchise modes and I just shake my head. It makes me appreciate 2K more, warts and all.
100%. The devs don't get enough credit for developing the offline modes; the entire gaming world is going against this trend.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #51
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
100%. The devs don't get enough credit for developing the offline modes; the entire gaming world is going against this trend.
You're right. If you think about it, it only makes sense to focus on the revue generating modes. It's a business at the end of the day. But that doesn't mean you have to abandon offline stuff. I fully understand that MyCareer/MyPark get the bulk of attention. I have no problem with that because those modes are likely more responsible for the games growth than say, ML. Still, Davez comes around shortly after release soliciting wants for ML. It may not happen this year, or next, or the following year but it's on the list. That matters to me. I was playing MYGM the other day and my Assistant GM tells me that when it gets closer to a new TV contract superstar players will sign for fewer years to capitalize on the cap spike. How many 2K players you think would notice or even care about that? I bet the data says not many; yet it's there. I get the complaints about 2K17. It was a down year for me too. But there guys "get it" to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #52
MVP

I've heard enough on PSN to not even care to listen to 99% of the 'younger generation.'
Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #53
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
You're right. If you think about it, it only makes sense to focus on the revue generating modes. It's a business at the end of the day. But that doesn't mean you have to abandon offline stuff. I fully understand that MyCareer/MyPark get the bulk of attention. I have no problem with that because those modes are likely more responsible for the games growth than say, ML. Still, Davez comes around shortly after release soliciting wants for ML. It may not happen this year, or next, or the following year but it's on the list. That matters to me. I was playing MYGM the other day and my Assistant GM tells me that when it gets closer to a new TV contract superstar players will sign for fewer years to capitalize on the cap spike. How many 2K players you think would notice or even care about that? I bet the data says not many; yet it's there. I get the complaints about 2K17. It was a down year for me too. But there guys "get it" to me.
Great points.

We offline gamers are not revenue generators for 2K; it's the people buying all the VC. I have not spent 1 cent on VC.

But like you said, the modes crafted for us are deep. The create a rotation feature was awesome. It let us craft CPU lineups that mirrored real life. Sure it had some drawbacks (such as not adjusting for fouls) but it meant I could play against the Warriors death line up rather than having Pachulia play 36 minutes. We can actually set CPU lineups throughout a game. Has that been done in a sports game before?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #54
Rookie

zyton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
I work with Middle School students and I hear them talk about 2K quite often. Some of them are late for school because it and some don't get sleep because they are up all night.

It is always funny when they ask me why I don't "Be Grinding" (MyPark), and they can't comprehend how I am just not interested in playing any, "Create Myself and Play" mode.

They laugh when I tell them I play MyLeague and I control all 30 teams.
They laugh when I tell them I Do Player Lock.
They laugh when I tell them I actually run plays.

When I tell them that I probably only play the game about once/twice a week, they can't possibly understand that.

Then I hit them with this, "Man I have been playing 2K before yall dudes were BORN" I put in my years of service.

But yea, any interactions with younger 2K players? It is always refreshing to see the difference in mindsets when it comes to this series.
I am an old head too but my favorite mode is MyCareer. Something wrong with me?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Ive been playing 2k since well 2k.. I was at the E3 show when 2k was revealed on Dreamcast along with Nfl 2k became friends with one of the Devs and have had a few conversations with Jeff Thomas here and there through email about business.... I currently play alot of 2k17 on Xbox One. ANd from Time to Time I hop in a Party chat with Random youngsters and ask them questions about how they feel about the game since ive been playing so long and sometimes I will text the dev that I know when I hear some weird stuff from the kids..... but I think 2k is straddling a dangerous line right now... Nba Live 18 will probably not be able to compete but if 2k doesnt fix the servers, load times and Pro am gameplay they will start losing appeal with the youngsters. Im from the an older generation where we didnt care about popularity it was more about substance so I played NBA2k and NFL2k when Madden and Live was king I even bought 20 to 30 copies of NFL2k5 to get friends to try it. I actually had long conversations with the DEV I know when he was trying to get the game to where it is now and he was telling me about the vision. But this New generation doesnt know anything about Dreamcast and those days a throwback machine to them is a PS1 while my generation a throwback Machine is AN Atari 2600. So theres a huge gap and 2k must fix the games problems because social media can lift you and take you down and theres too many "2k is trash" comments being posted all over social media by these youngstas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #56
Rookie

PippenFan's Arena

I'm 31 years old and been playing since 2k1 on the Dreamcast. The NBA Live series before that dating back to live 95. Anyway I agree with the OP. Seems all these young dudes wanna do now days is just grab Steph Curry and knock down 3 pointers or dunk with Michael Jordan rather than getting their teammates involved.

They'll latch on to the PG in general and just ruin the game for everybody else then quit when things don't go their way. I don't even bother trying to talk to them. Don't even have a mic and I don't plan on getting one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »