Home

A good way to think of the "intangibles" attribute: It's a Perception rating

This is a discussion on A good way to think of the "intangibles" attribute: It's a Perception rating within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: A good way to think of the "intangibles" attribute: It's a Perception rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I honestly think that the reason players with 99 intangibles make more clutch shots is because of how drastically it affects their overall. I mean, if you had a 75 overall vs. an 80 overall, don't you think the 80 overall would be more likely to make the clutch shot?
If the 75 OVR had much better shooting ratings than the 80 OVR, then no, I would expect the 75 OVR to be more likely to make a clutch shot than an 80. Tony Allen is rated higher than Kyle Korver, but who would you rather have taking a shot late in the game between those two? Just because one guy has a better overall rating than someone else doesn't mean that they're better in every situation.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A good way to think of the "intangibles" attribute: It's a Perception rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
If the 75 OVR had much better shooting ratings than the 80 OVR, then no, I would expect the 75 OVR to be more likely to make a clutch shot than an 80. Tony Allen is rated higher than Kyle Korver, but who would you rather have taking a shot late in the game between those two? Just because one guy has a better overall rating than someone else doesn't mean that they're better in every situation.
What if they were the same exact player, but one of them has 25 intangibles and the other had 99.

Obviously i'd rather have Kyle Korver taking the clutch shot than Deandre Jordan even though DJ is the better player, but i'm saying if they had the same shooting skill
Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
What if they were the same exact player, but one of them has 25 intangibles and the other had 99.

Obviously i'd rather have Kyle Korver taking the clutch shot than Deandre Jordan even though DJ is the better player, but i'm saying if they had the same shooting skill
I wouldn't expect the overall rating to somehow kick in and boost shooting stats in clutch moments. The overall rating is just a number the game spits out after going through a formula to make it easier for people to compare players. That's why people have theorized that the intangibles rating has to do with clutch-time performance. I guess the only way to test that would be to make players with the exact same shooting stats, give one player a 25 and the other player a 99 intangible rating, drop the "99" player's other attributes so that the overall ratings still match, and then see if there's any noticeable difference in the frequency of made shots in clutch time.

Outside of that, we'd just be guessing as to whether the overall rating or intangible rating was playing a role in clutch-time performance (if at all). For me personally though, I think if 2K wanted to include "clutch" in the game they would want to tie it with a specific rating rather than let the overall rating arbitrarily boost stats in clutch time. Not every great player is clutch, and you have role players like Robert Horry who were considered as clutch as they come. I would think 2K would want the ability to express that in their game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

For real, 2K should just get rid of the OVR. Like don't show a number. It does way more harm than it does good. Just give them a description based on their individual attributes, as they have already, like Two-Way Superstar, Superstar Playmaker, One of a Kind, Lockdown Wing Defender, Rim Protector, Sharpshooter etc. Would also make MyLeague/MyGM more interesting, as you'd have to put more effort in to scouting and not just accept trades that got you more value (a better overall).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »