Home

If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considered it Sim?

This is a discussion on If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considered it Sim? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #33
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchiggs
Then you shouldn't be impressed by the many many stacked NBA teams that came before the Warriors. 83 Sixers, those 80's Lakers and Celtics teams, the 04 Pistons. If we're simply going dominance the Lakers 3peated only loosing 3 finals games in 3 seasons. Even tho Jordan didn't have a big 3 they dominated the finals in the 90's. Its nothing new.
You can even go back to the Celtics in the 60s and even in the 70s they kept going to the Finals
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #34
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Re: If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considere

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I disagree strongly about the Pistons. The year they won was a complete surprise and at the time none of those players were really stars, besides maybe Rasheed Wallace (his behavior issue really hurt his image as a player.) No one looked at that team and thought "wow look at all the talent they assembled!" Actually that's what they were saying about the team they beat in the finals (the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone). A lot of those Pistons players were cast offs from other teams. What made them great was how well they played team basketball together, similar to the Spurs teams that won throughtout the 2000s.
Pistons were called things like the "team with no star" too.

All I know is I've never seen any scenario where an MVP in the prime of his career left a great team to join an already stacked rival team.

The Warriors were "stacked" and now they're OP. They did not need KD.

It'd be like if Kawhi Leonard went to the Cavs... crazy.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #35
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Pistons were called things like the "team with no star" too.

All I know is I've never seen any scenario where an MVP in the prime of his career left a great team to join an already stacked rival team.

The Warriors were "stacked" and now they're OP. They did not need KD.

It'd be like if Kawhi Leonard went to the Cavs... crazy.
It is a unique, unprecedented situation. I personally don't necessarily blame Durant. He was presented with an opportunity to form a team that will likely go down as one of the greatest teams ever.

With the emphasis that the media and fans place on winning championships it's no wonder why players form these super teams. For Durant specifically, joining the Warriors not only gave him the best chance to win one championship but multiple rings as well. It's a bit ironic that a player's legacy can be hurt for not winning a championship but if they join a team that is too good they still receive negativity. but I understand that double edged sword.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #36
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
It is a unique, unprecedented situation. I personally don't necessarily blame Durant. He was presented with an opportunity to form a team that will likely go down as one of the greatest teams ever.

With the emphasis that the media and fans place on winning championships it's no wonder why players form these super teams. For Durant specifically, joining the Warriors not only gave him the best chance to win one championship but multiple rings as well. It's a bit ironic that a player's legacy can be hurt for not winning a championship but if they join a team that is too good they still receive negativity. but I understand that double edged sword.
I also think context matters. KD going to Golden State is fine but it's different from LeBron or even the Celtics Big three to me. They went, and we're instrumental, to those teams winning titles. The Warriors had already won one and were a historically good team record wise. If Stephan wasn't dinged up and Dray suspended the Warriors probably wouldn't have lost last year. KD feels like Malone and Payton at the end of their careers when they joined the Lakers except he's still in his prime. He's a HOFer no doubt but no matter how many titles he wins I don't think he'll ever be revered like guys who actually helped to build championship teams. I think that's fine with him too.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #37
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

The way Durant is playing in this series....I don't know what the answer for him is. Game 2 was unbelievable. You have a 6'10" player with ball speed, can take you off the drive like guard, can hit 3s open and contested, can make circus shots after the foul, and can play lockdown defense on the other end.

In a Sim scenario, if you played against someone using Durant like this you would say he was overpowered. Durants body type and what he's able to do was something MyPark tried to fix, but it's a real life thing. Durant is living , breathing Cheese lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #38
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

Everything is "sim" if that action that can be justified by other actions that led to that action, lol, if that makes any sense.

For example, KD going to GS can be justified by his desire to play for a championship level team, and him and Russ not getting along on the court [team chemistry issues] along with a plethora of other reasons. Now in a video game, if that was explained easily to you [looking at KD's desires and OKC team chemistry] you can certainly justify KD jumping ship in the realm of "sim". If OKC's team chemistry was at anywhere from 80 to 100 percent, his desires had loyalty really high and ahead of play for a winning team and he makes that decision, then I can't justify it, it doesn't make sense to me, therefore not sim and I would nix that from happening.

I try not to consider something not "sim" if I don't why it was done and my first impression hated the outcome. If I can justify what the CPU did by looking at historical stats, players desires/tendencies,age etc.. then I have to let teams fail and succeed on it's own, that is my version of "sim" in my offline MyLeague world.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #39
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

Honestly, what the Cavs did was less "sim" than what the GSW did. After losing LeBron to the Heat they:

-Won the lottery three times despite never having the projected number one pick.
-One pick was acquired by trading Mo Williams and Jamario Moon to the Clippers for Baron Davis and a first (highly questionable in retrospect). This pick turned into the projected 8th pick in the draft and had a 2.8% chance of winning the lottery (which it did). The Cavs drafted Irving with this pick.
-Another pick that won the lottery was the projected 9th pick and had 1.7% chance of winning. They used this to draft Wiggins who they traded for All-Star Kevin Love. Not really a questionable trade by any means but I would be pulling my hair out trying to win the lottery with the 8th and 9th projected pick.
-After going 33-49 they sign the best player in the game. Without considering the real life circumstances that's about the most 2k MyLeague thing one can do.
-Questionable trade for JR Smith and Iman Shumpert, two of the "cheesiest" players in 2k for years, and a first for Waiters, Amundson and scraps.
-Questionable trade for Frye
-Questionable trade for Korver, easily one of the best shooters in the game, for an aging Mike Dunlevy and an aging Mo Williams (poor Mo always getting traded). If the Hawks are trying to rebuild (which I assume they kinda are)how do they not get a pick out of this.
-Somehow acquired Deron Williams. He is a very capable backup play maker and pg (until these finals lol), something the Cavs desperately needed.
-Also acquired Bogut from free agency (but I guess they forgot to turn off injuries).
-Signed Larry Sanders, something else you only see in 2k. I say this because some argued he shouldn't have even been in the game since he retired. Despite that fact he was always a great defensive center who was immediately available in 2k.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #40
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

We've had "Super Teams" before, but this one is the "Super Team of Super Teams" at the very least.

The interesting thing will be to see how the rest of the league responds. Do you think we're gonna see a few more super teams form to counter GSW?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »