Home

If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considered it Sim?

This is a discussion on If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considered it Sim? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considered it Sim?

Last night, the Warriors once again dominated the Cavs on their way to a 2-0 Series lead and a 14-0 mark in the NBA Playoffs. This type of dominance is something which you'd expect if you were playing a video game.

On a rookie level.

With a 12 year old who decided to build a super team to play MyGM with.

Kevin Durant and Steph Curry are both at the top of their game (and likely the top of the game), their supporting cast is more than capable and have delivered an NBA championship sans Durant already.

The question of "what is sim" has come up a lot in the community over the past year -- and the Warriors are a prime example that sometimes crazy scenarios happen. In this case, it was a team having managed their budged so well being able to add a second MVP-caliber superstar to its roster without giving up anything huge through free agency.

If such a scenario happened to present itself to you in NBA 2K18 or NBA 2K17, would you consider it sim to sign a second superstar? Before Durant signed last year, would your opinion have been different?

Lastly, what type of 'self-enforced' rules do you put on yourself, if any, when playing a mode like MyGM?

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
In a sim league with sim rules most of us probably would've been booted if we ran the Golden State offense in a sim league. Heck putting Draymond at Center would've started up some real drama in league chat groups as well.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considere

If the option presented itself, hell yeah I make that signing in 2K. I might not agree with it, but I'm old school. In my opinion you stick with your team to try and slay the giant. Durant took the easy way out and to me, that will taint any legacy he leaves behind.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a smart move for him or the Warriors, I just don't agree with it. Self imposed rules? There are no rules in NBA free agency, anymore. LeBron and Durant threw that notion right out the window.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: If You Built a Team Like the Warriors in Previous Years, Would You Have Considere

As long as there was no manipulation of the CPU's trading and free agent signing A.I.. then yeah it would be Sim. Ironically because there aren't enough personality types in the game to govern these kinds of things, it would be totally logical in game that a Durant would sign with the Warriors, because winning would be the only thing that should be considered. Perceived legacy wouldn't be taken into account.

As a player playing a MyLeague, I wouldn't do it because I would want a greater challenge in trying to win the title, or if I did get a super team, I would want to get it by building through the draft.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

I definitely would have considered the current Warriors lineup to be way, way too overpowered -- it's like adding in a classic team (say, the 96 Bulls) to the current day rosters and watching them run roughshod. Just unfair.

I do play with self-imposed roles in MyLeague -- I control all teams (because the AI is, predictably, not up to the task) and am very careful with trades and signings. I try to make it make sense -- and I try to keep most teams out of the luxury tax (which, for many teams, is just a place they can't live for long).

Super-duper teams like the Warriors are very rare in my playthroughs. Usually Golden State is forced to break the team up within 2-3 years because of the cap issues, and that means letting Durant walk in free agency or trading away Draymond or picking up cheaper talent.

I strive to make sure Billy King like trades are never, ever done. The plight of the Nets is one of the travesties of sports. Never again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

6 or 7 teams could have drafted Steph. Klay was like the 10th pick or something so even more could have drafted him. Draymond was a 2nd rounder so the entire league passed up on him once. If you draft well you should be rewarded. Steph being injured early on allowed the team to sign him for about half of what he was worth. If not then Durant wouldn't have been possible unless he took a huge cut. So that, coupled with the exploding cap created the unique circumstance that is Golden State. They drafted and developed a great team. Then at the end they had enough cap space to not only sign a top 2 player in the league but have him want to join a stacked roster. It'll probably never happen again but it was organic all the way. Not like the big 3 going to Miami. So I would consider it sim.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I strive to make sure Billy King like trades are never, ever done. The plight of the Nets is one of the travesties of sports. Never again.
I'm surprised that dude isn't in a witness protection program somewhere. LOL! Especially after watching a really good C's team play in the ECF and still get the number one pick. Rich getting richer while the Nets are painfully bereft of talent.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I'm surprised that dude isn't in a witness protection program somewhere. LOL! Especially after watching a really good C's team play in the ECF and still get the number one pick. Rich getting richer while the Nets are painfully bereft of talent.
Like, he's gone from the world of basketball. I have no idea what he's doing -- I recall he was reassigned after Marks got hired, but where he is in the Nets organization is unknown.

Buried in a basement watching film, maybe. Wherever he is, his name will live in infamy for making some of the worst trades (if not THE worst trade) in the last 10-15 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »