Home

Park steal spammers

This is a discussion on Park steal spammers within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Park steal spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
Beluba had a poll to nerf steal success and unfortunately it was 50/50. The steal spam is ridiculous. I think they should add a harsher penalty to stamina next year if you spam it or cut down the success rate a ton SMH.
Or make it have a real life connection. If you were to reach like that in real life youd get owned by anybody good.

So maybe if you reach too much you go cold on D for a whole minute or something
Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #18
Rookie

I'm a LDD mostly, so take what i say how you want. I feel that the steal success is fine the way it is. As someone said before, If someone is going to spam their dribbles moves (unrealistically) then i'll do the same with my steal button.

BUT.. Understand that there is a tonne of skill to knowing when to reach and not too. Or what way you swipe your right stick, because if you swipe the wrong way you increase chances of a foul more so then pressing square or X.

The real problem I have with stealing is in the post up position. Players (Post Scorers mostly) need a more secure way to keep the ball safe. In NBA people don't run to steal of a player every time he posts up. Maybe I'm not a good post scorer but it's hella hard to safely post up in most mods except park.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 AM   #19
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektra

The real problem I have with stealing is in the post up position. Players (Post Scorers mostly) need a more secure way to keep the ball safe. In NBA people don't run to steal of a player every time he posts up. Maybe I'm not a good post scorer but it's hella hard to safely post up in most mods except park.
It's tricky because you don't want to make the Post Scorer OP.

I almost consider getting stripped similar to missing a shot as a shooter... You attempted something in the post and it didn't work, so you went 0/1 on that Post attempt.

That said, the Post Scorers really don't have a lot of moves to choose from compared to shooters.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Park steal spammers

I have no issues w/ steal spammers as a Playmaking PG. Most of the players I see complaining about it are people who holds the ball a lot and wants to do all type of dribble moves and become "Dribble Gods". Reaching is a good way to combat that sometimes by making them pick up their dribble or posing a threat of taking the ball away.

Now as a big man (especially post scorers) I can see how it can be VERY annoying in the paint being spammed w/ the steal button because almost every move gets stripped and it's really no penalty for reaching since you can't foul out and it'll just reset the possession. ProAM it's fine because those fouls results to FTs and/or foul trouble. You know it's bad if as a 6' PG, I welcome ANYONE to try and post me because I am most likely going to strip you. But I am not complaining about it because it's the only option I really got against big players lol.

So I only feel a little sympathy for bigs mainly post scores. All the other positions, I don't feel bad at all and I would argue that the more dribbling you do a possession the chances of you getting stripped should increase to combat the spamming of dribble moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 06-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
Rookie

With post scorers the issue is more on the passes into the paint from teammates. The general user refuses to pass you the ball when you're open or they are ignorant of how the post up mechanic works.

If I can get my hip into the defender and actually "post up", the second the ball touches my player's hands I've already decided how I'm going to shoot, similar to "catch and shoot" for a sharpshooter. When I see the ball in the air coming towards me I'm already pulling the stick for a fade, dunk, shimmy move, etc. You have to be able to trust the pass like a sharpshooter trusts a pass and triggers his "Catch and Shoot" badge.

In my experience advantageous position in these specific situations usually lead to a foul before a steal, which speaks to another issue. Fouling at times is the only option smaller players will have against a legitimate big in the park, and I don't have an answer on how to balance that appropriately for both parties. This isn't just new guys either, I've been playing with guys since 15 who cannot see when my big is posted up and in advantageous position but will force be the ball when there is a defender right in my face. It's gotten to where I don't believe it's an ego thing anymore, most people just don't understand. They have it in their head that because there's a smaller defender in the paint, the big should just dunk on them; but they aren't considering the fact that big men are not great ball handlers in this game and can easily be ripped because of that.

I like to try to slip behind the defender and put my hip into him so I can briefly establish position between the defender and the bucket. When I actually get the hip into the defender and that hand goes up I get a second or two to do whatever I want to the guy. If I can get the ball in that window I'm going to finish almost every time. Even if the defender is between the basket and my Post Scorer. If my teammates give me the space to put that hip into the defender and establish position, in that 1-2 second window I am liable to poster just about anyone.

People want to give my Post Scorer the ball and expect him to do some crazy post move but the reality of the situation is I only want to dribble if it's absolutely necessary. If you are dribbling down there you're going to get peeled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
With post scorers the issue is more on the passes into the paint from teammates. The general user refuses to pass you the ball when you're open or they are ignorant of how the post up mechanic works.

If I can get my hip into the defender and actually "post up", the second the ball touches my player's hands I've already decided how I'm going to shoot, similar to "catch and shoot" for a sharpshooter. When I see the ball in the air coming towards me I'm already pulling the stick for a fade, dunk, shimmy move, etc. You have to be able to trust the pass like a sharpshooter trusts a pass and triggers his "Catch and Shoot" badge.

In my experience advantageous position in these specific situations usually lead to a foul before a steal, which speaks to another issue. Fouling at times is the only option smaller players will have against a legitimate big in the park, and I don't have an answer on how to balance that appropriately for both parties. This isn't just new guys either, I've been playing with guys since 15 who cannot see when my big is posted up and in advantageous position but will force be the ball when there is a defender right in my face. It's gotten to where I don't believe it's an ego thing anymore, most people just don't understand. They have it in their head that because there's a smaller defender in the paint, the big should just dunk on them; but they aren't considering the fact that big men are not great ball handlers in this game and can easily be ripped because of that.

I like to try to slip behind the defender and put my hip into him so I can briefly establish position between the defender and the bucket. When I actually get the hip into the defender and that hand goes up I get a second or two to do whatever I want to the guy. If I can get the ball in that window I'm going to finish almost every time. Even if the defender is between the basket and my Post Scorer. If my teammates give me the space to put that hip into the defender and establish position, in that 1-2 second window I am liable to poster just about anyone.

People want to give my Post Scorer the ball and expect him to do some crazy post move but the reality of the situation is I only want to dribble if it's absolutely necessary. If you are dribbling down there you're going to get peeled.
What I bolded is basically how I feel. Also in MyCareer and MyPark and ProAm there is NO REWARD AT ALL for posting up your big men. So in people's mind I assume they decide theres no reason to do it. What I mean is if you pass to a guy and he hits a 3, boom you get an assists, AKA you got a REWARD. You pass to a roller and he dunks or gets an and-1 boom you got a REWARD with an assist. When you post a guy like me up, I hold the ball for a second so I can see if im gonna get double teamed or not. Then I have to back down, and then I either pass or shoot. The guy who posted me up gets NO REWARD unless I get a lucky dunk animation or do a fade as soon as I touch it. AKA why post big men up if I never get assists off him? Then let me not talk about reach spamming and how that discourages players from posting guys up. Iv gone 3/3 in park games and been fouled literally 10 times and midway through the game my own teammates say that they are just gonna ignore me because im getting fouled so much and the game is taking too long.

Also to your balancing statement of how to make it work for both parties.

My answer to that is it SHOULDNT work. If a 7' 3" guy is on a small PG then that's your fault for not getting off the spot before the game started. If I catch a guard in the post there shouldn't be any balance. He shouldn't have a chance in hell of doing anything but getting destroyed. When im on the perimeter trying to guard playmakers they sure as hell aint giving me balance. If 2k has a strategy guards can use to stop bigs in the paint then ima need a similarly cheesy tactic to stop guards when they do all that trash dribbling. Im too slow to spam reach on guys like that.

Last edited by Housh123; 06-18-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

The steal system is awful and I'm talking from a MyTeam/PNO perspective, not MyPark. The whole nonsense of being forced to pick up the ball because someone reached is utterly awful. I don't have a problem being ripped, I do have a problem however with someone forcing me into one of those long and drawn out animations. And a lot of the times as soon as that animation is finished the "poke the ball in the air" animations comes right after. When I watch real NBA basketball even the biggest scrub point guards aren't getting forced to pick up the ball as much as this game would lead you to believe. Less on-ball steals and more steals in the passing lanes.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #24
Rookie

Steal spammers are back in ProAm Walkon

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »