Home

Improving foul calls in 2K18 and beyond

This is a discussion on Improving foul calls in 2K18 and beyond within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Improving foul calls in 2K18 and beyond

I'm beginning to notice that fouls are predetermined and you enter the "getting fouled" or "fouling the other player" animation before you really make a play to draw the foul or make a mistake to foul somebody else.

A lot of other people have called the fouls "scripted" which I can understand. I'm not going to go that extreme.

Another thing is that foul sliders are very difficult to balance (as those in the slider discussions know).

Therefore I propose and hope that 2K makes fouling based on actual contact or collision of body parts (i.e. player models) rather than just "oh it's about time to call a foul, let's play that animation".

Obviously this might be a technological/developmental leap too big going from 2K17 to 2K18, but maybe in the future this is something that should be worked out.

In addition to this, this collision system could mean that 2K in the future reduces phasing/morphing where the body parts and ball just go through each other.

E.g. of better fouling could be drawing fouls off pump fakes. In 2K17, I try to use the pump-fake draw-foul technique that Harden abused in the playoffs (which prime Wade was also amazing at). In 2K17, these fouls aren't called at all because the opponent player model's arm just morphs through my player's arms.

Last edited by fakeassc; 06-19-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Improving foul calls in 2K18 and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
I'm beginning to notice that fouls are predetermined and you enter the "getting fouled" or "fouling the other player" animation before you really make a play to draw the foul or make a mistake to foul somebody else.

A lot of other people have called the fouls "scripted" which I can understand. I'm not going to go that extreme.

Another thing is that foul sliders are very difficult to balance (as those in the slider discussions know).

Therefore I propose and hope that 2K makes fouling based on actual contact or collision of body parts (i.e. player models) rather than just "oh it's about time to call a foul, let's play that animation".

Obviously this might be a technological/developmental leap too big going from 2K17 to 2K18, but maybe in the future this is something that should be worked out.

In addition to this, this collision system could mean that 2K in the future reduces phasing/morphing where the body parts and ball just go through each other.

E.g. of better fouling could be drawing fouls off pump fakes.
In 2K17, I try to use the pump-fake draw-foul technique that Harden in the playoffs (which prime Wade was also amazing at). In 2K17, these fouls aren't called at all because the opponent player model's arm just morphs through my player's arms.
Hell no...pump fake fouls were the worst in 2k15 & 2k16...if the defensive side of the game doesn't get a complete overhaul, then I say don't try and bring back pump fakes. Especially the auto fouls from pump fakes in the paint and from the three point line. Those bailouts were game breaking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »