Home

Dribble drives are almost next to impossible

This is a discussion on Dribble drives are almost next to impossible within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #41
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dribble drives are almost next to impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Great post VD! All 2k needs to do is get this animation to trigger more often..

http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...7&postcount=83

Right now 2k17 only seems to trigger stone walled dribbler animations or complete blow-bys with no defender interaction/contact. This addition would help a lot imo. I have played hours of 2k17 and have never seen the above animation trigger. Gotta say I also like the sound of Live's defensive system.
You can get this animation literally all of the time if you just read the defenders stance and run into the open space.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #42
Rookie

I can't get that animation to trigger. Most of the time, I either go into an automatic post-up or I get bumped back.

To get past the CPU, I need to do multiple dribble moves/direction changes followed by a boost.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #43
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

I know it would mean rebuilding a lot of their core gameplay mechanics, but if they went for it, the game could potentially be incredible.

Penetrating with players shouldn't be difficult. But the offset (that would reduce players abusing driving the lane) should be;

- Good help rotations leading to tough shots in traffic or charging fouls
- Players fatiguing much faster if you constantly drive and get fouled etc.
- Missed shots if you're blindly trying to drive and finish in traffic all the time

If the sticky defenders were totally removed and driving the lane became easier, then you abuse it for a 3/18 FG game with say.... Westbrook, you'll learn fast.

As a bi-product, the pull up game would also open up for players.

Currently defenders are rewarded for creating contact. That's not basketball.

I know, easier said than done. But man..... would be incredible if it plays this way one day.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #44
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
Body sensitivity at 0, contact sliders at 0, on ball defense? 0. It does not matter because there literally exist this weird sort of forcefield that will impede your path to the hole no matter the ballhandler or defender. Don't even begin with that stick skills nonsense. Lebron James should need next to no controller wizardry to blow past nearly anyone on planet earth, period. Whatever happens when he gets to the hoop is whatever happens, but he will, should, and MUST be able to effortlessly get to the hole if we want 'sim'.

Thoughts?
If I remember correctly, contact sliders work in opposite. 0 means you are hitting walls, while 100 means you get more contact/hip riding. One of the devs just happened to stop by a thread aand casually drop it some time ago.

If someone can back me up, I'd appreciate it if I'm correct.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #45
Rookie

Man this video (not by me) shows one of the reasons why animations are killing 2K. Go to 0:33 where the defender cuts across and stops Harden despite Harden completely blowing by him. Dribble drives are impossible because of CPU animation-cheating.

2K should try to become more physics-based instead of having every situation come down to animations.

People are right. 2K17 was awful becauseevery time we play the game, we're trying to trigger all the right animations instead of playing proper basketball.

Last edited by fakeassc; 07-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #46
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
You can get this animation literally all of the time if you just read the defenders stance and run into the open space.
You must have major skills Duggler. Every time I create an opening and try to attack that space I get some extra hesitation dribble or some other animation that slows me down and allows the cpu to recover like in Fakes' video. I often get the impression that I have to take these awkwardly wide arcs just to get around defenders. There doesn't seem to be a consistent system of read and react between dribblers and defenders.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #47
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
You must have major skills Duggler. Every time I create an opening and try to attack that space I get some extra hesitation dribble or some other animation that slows me down and allows the cpu to recover like in Fakes' video. I often get the impression that I have to take these awkwardly wide arcs just to get around defenders. There doesn't seem to be a consistent system of read and react between dribblers and defenders.
Don't get me wrong, stuff like what happens in the video linked a few posts above does get me heated all the time too. There are definitely times where the animation locks just pull me right out of the game and make me realize that yes, I am still playing a piece of software.

I don't think that 2K17 is the doom and gloom that OS posters make it out to be at times, and ultimately I think it hurts the discourse when people act as if Hitler himself programmed the game.

A major problem with this game is that it feels very inconsistent, and one of the major keys to game design is for the player to always feel in control. I don't feel in control when my defender teleports in front of me, or my CPU teammate decides to randomly cut behind his defender the moment I throw him a pass (and don't even get me started on the white "youre going to pass to this guy" circle moving 0.00001ms before I press pass).

I hope that 2K takes a real look at the feedback they get here, and on other threads, and can wade through the whiners and see those who have actually taken the time to give genuine and constructive feedback.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #48
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
Don't get me wrong, stuff like what happens in the video linked a few posts above does get me heated all the time too. There are definitely times where the animation locks just pull me right out of the game and make me realize that yes, I am still playing a piece of software.

I don't think that 2K17 is the doom and gloom that OS posters make it out to be at times, and ultimately I think it hurts the discourse when people act as if Hitler himself programmed the game.

A major problem with this game is that it feels very inconsistent, and one of the major keys to game design is for the player to always feel in control. I don't feel in control when my defender teleports in front of me, or my CPU teammate decides to randomly cut behind his defender the moment I throw him a pass (and don't even get me started on the white "youre going to pass to this guy" circle moving 0.00001ms before I press pass).

I hope that 2K takes a real look at the feedback they get here, and on other threads, and can wade through the whiners and see those who have actually taken the time to give genuine and constructive feedback.
I agree Duggler. I think 2k17 is a good game that just has some annoying issues that can often pull you out of that enjoyment. Consistency is a problem. I understand 2k has to walk a fine line between realism/momentum vs. user control. I think 2k needs to speed up their individual and interactive animations so it doesn't feel like it's taking forever for something to happen.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »