Home

"Attempting" To Make A 100% Sim NBA Game: Good Or Bad For Sales

This is a discussion on "Attempting" To Make A 100% Sim NBA Game: Good Or Bad For Sales within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:15 AM   #9
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14
Re: "Attempting" To Make A 100% Sim NBA Game: Good Or Bad For Sales

Ask ten different people what sim means to them, and you get ten different answers. And this is part of the problem.

For instance, dunks ARE sim. The dunk rate for the CPU-controlled has been lowered so much since launch that I have to throw the attempt dunk and throw alley oop slider to max just to get the A.I. to even come close to the number of dunks we see in real life, especially from guards. I'm pretty sure this was done in response to some vocal members from the community. Because there are people who say they don't want a dunk-fest. Go figure.

In reality, the ideal form for the game will cater to both the casual and the hardcore crowd, with very clear distinctions as to which mode is for which audience. Don't try to jumble them together, like MyCareer being the only way to earn upgrades for your player to use in other more "hardcore" modes. Other multiplayer games try to do this, and it drives me nuts. Casual and hardcore do not mix, it just leaves everyone unsatisfied.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Recreating sim basketball is pretty much impossible. I play mycareer on HoF, and the cpu runs pretty much 2 or 3 sets all game and rely on bad shooters hitting late clock shot contested jumpers all game to remain competitive, so I don't understand where or how making a sim game is even possible when this is how the game runs on the hardest difficulty setting.

As ACE improves throughout the next iterations this may become possible, but the game is just not in a good enough place at the moment for this to be a realistic aim.

2k needs to remove all the terrible canned legacy animations so players aren't sucked into post ups, behind screens etc as a priority before the game can work towards this goal.

I've stopped playing 2k17 now, but I had a couple of hours free yesterday so I decided to play a game on my center career and I was dumbstruck with how the game performed. I had 3 of those instant turnovers that happen before you even have the ball in your hands, and had to watch Justice turn it over 5 times because of spin moves in traffic.

Before we even talk about sim, I think putting the fun back in the game should be the priority. I loved 2k14, but if you play it on current gen (which I still do) the movements are really jumpy and jerky, so maybe this was as a result of the improved graphical quality, so scaling this back has added to the smoothness that the game currently plays at.

Most importantly, twitter breaks into collective tears whenever people aren't shooting nearly 100%, so how do you think they'd cope with having some of Currys bad shooting nights and he's the best shooter in history.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

So glad SonicMage posted here. Wish SimWorld would as well.

Everyone thinks something is or isn't sim. Steph Curry going 0-11 from 3pt line against the lowly tanking 76ers IS sim. Because it happened. The Kevin Durant-led Golden State Warriors lost by 20 to the atrocious Lakers. That IS sim. Because it happened.

On a game? That's not sim to people, because they want to win. And Steph is supposed to be money from 3, and especially against one of the worst teams in the league.

If you get an open look, you feel like you earned the right for it to go in more often than not. I disagree with this notion because it's a make or miss league, but that's how the consumer playing the game feels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
Recreating sim basketball is pretty much impossible. I play mycareer on HoF, and the cpu runs pretty much 2 or 3 sets all game and rely on bad shooters hitting late clock shot contested jumpers all game to remain competitive, so I don't understand where or how making a sim game is even possible when this is how the game runs on the hardest difficulty setting.

As ACE improves throughout the next iterations this may become possible, but the game is just not in a good enough place at the moment for this to be a realistic aim.

2k needs to remove all the terrible canned legacy animations so players aren't sucked into post ups, behind screens etc as a priority before the game can work towards this goal.

I've stopped playing 2k17 now, but I had a couple of hours free yesterday so I decided to play a game on my center career and I was dumbstruck with how the game performed. I had 3 of those instant turnovers that happen before you even have the ball in your hands, and had to watch Justice turn it over 5 times because of spin moves in traffic.

Before we even talk about sim, I think putting the fun back in the game should be the priority. I loved 2k14, but if you play it on current gen (which I still do) the movements are really jumpy and jerky, so maybe this was as a result of the improved graphical quality, so scaling this back has added to the smoothness that the game currently plays at.

Most importantly, twitter breaks into collective tears whenever people aren't shooting nearly 100%, so how do you think they'd cope with having some of Currys bad shooting nights and he's the best shooter in history.
I agree. Youd have to create an algorithm on how to make certain things randomly happen but also make things happen because of actions made by the user. An example would be a dominant rebounder like Tristian Thompson having a bad rebounding game, which he very rarely does. But it doeS happen. Dude had like 3 rebounds in a finals game this year. So how do you program that?

The only way would be for 2k to pick AT RANDOM which guys were going to suck at certain skills in any certain game. But if they do that it would come off as cheating to us. I mean i feel they do this with shooting if you put the game on HOF and puts 3 sliders on 38. Iv gone 2-11 with Kevin Love on all wide open shots. and did I think that was sim? NO. I thought it was 2k cheating because i got Love wide open and i felt he should hit

So its hard to mamage it
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #13
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

HOF is a difficulty, not a "reality simulation" mode lol.

I've never understood the disconnect users have with that. It increases sliders for the CPU, decreases sliders for the user. Ergo, increasing the difficulty.

Increase the difficulty on any other game? CPU has heightened senses, powers, awareness, accuracy, durability, numbers, etc, etc, etc. Ergo, increasing the difficulty. Literally no difference between the two.

What's sim? Or what's "real life", well that's subjective to the user.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:13 AM   #14
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
HOF is a difficulty, not a "reality simulation" mode lol.

I've never understood the disconnect users have with that. It increases sliders for the CPU, decreases sliders for the user. Ergo, increasing the difficulty.

Increase the difficulty on any other game? CPU has heightened senses, powers, awareness, accuracy, durability, numbers, etc, etc, etc. Ergo, increasing the difficulty. Literally no difference between the two.

What's sim? Or what's "real life", well that's subjective to the user.
Yes, exactly. Setting it on the highest difficulty is basically asking the game to handicap you and "cheat" against you to give you a harder challenge. You should not be surprised to see awkward unrealistic play at those settings, including the rubber-banding that has been complained about for years

Honestly, I don't see the need for a traditional difficulty setting in this game anymore. It seems like there could just be a few preset slider sets to represent "difficulty levels", then we as players would have a much better idea about what handicapping is actually occurring.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage

What makes a game boring is when you can do the SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and continue to win in most cases its CHEESE not CHESS. That means you have the game figured out and the game starts getting boring. Everybody is doing the SAME moves and using the SAME animations and the game gets OLD fast and those thousands of animations that you 2k developers put in the game ARE USELESS, work for NOTHING. All those post move animations....... USELESS! We don't even know they EXISTED!

For a change(since 2k11) why don't 2k develop a game STRICTLY for the sim players bc at this point I feel like we deserve it with all the arcade type gameplay we have seen. I bet there will be NO drop off in sales. Your graphics have even gotten worse 2k smh....... Just saying many people think NBA 2K11 was the goat for a reason.

OR just disregard EVERYTHING I just wrote and make a Lobby for every game mode. Jesus Christ, is that to much to ask for?.......
I agree with Making a lobby for every game mode(easy normal hard, expert...aka rookie pro, allstar HOF)but i really don't see how figuring the game out gets boring. Once you know how to cheese, you use when necessary. You play everyone straight up until they start with their cheese, then you counteract with your cheese. When you Master any game, when it comes to the elite level, you learn to counter, and have counters for your counters. It's all about strategy when you're playing against opponent, particularly when playing online. Having a game entirely dedicated to the sim aspect of 2k, would hurt their bottom line and alienate the casual players who just play 2k just to have fun. The more i play 2k, every i realize how much 2k puts into their game and how much they need to get back to where they used to be. I want a fun game thats built upon simulating the nba experience, but i also want a game that fun and takes me away from my reality for awhile. If i have to be aware how realistic the game is then its no longer fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #16
MVP

young22's Arena

The problem is that 50% of the community is actually about 12. They just want every shot to be a green so they can talk **** to you over the mic.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »