Home

2K18: Blocks/Steal Timing

This is a discussion on 2K18: Blocks/Steal Timing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 2K18: Blocks/Steal Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Spoiler
The thing is I do certainly want to see our digital 2k basketball essentially replicate its real life counterpart. Curry's digital rating should reflect his real life rating. But the thing is, I see a difference between video game translation of "shooting" and "timing for blocks/steals;" at least that's how my mind processes it.

Shooting ... ratings will definitely matter. Deandre Jordan is not going to start dropping 3s.

Blocks/steals ... ratings? ... how do you implement that when it's defined by two objects colliding (i.e. hand and ball, or body part and ball). How do you get "rating" and "timing for blocks/steals" to coexist on the same playing field if the user times his block/steal within the proper window. Do we let the "steal/block" movie play out dictated entirely by rating and have no influence with the controller?

Should it be like the football video game "Backbreaker" where one doesn't even have to press the steal or jump button to make an interception. The gamer simply maneuvers the defender in front of the football and his rating will determine if he gets an interception or not.

Ratings should obviously be the primary determining factor for shooting -- it doesn't involve two objects colliding. Shooting is independent from external forces to a certain extent. You can put up shots all day in the gym and you'd make a certain percentage. That tells you how good of a shooter you may be. Add in the element of a defender and that changes your shooting percentage. But when it comes to blocking/stealing, the user has button input. Trust me, I do see if from your point of view, and part of me do like everything that you've brought up. My biggest gripe is the unrealistic swipe and lunge and slow to recover animation. Note: once again, I barely even ever use the steal button, so it's not me complaining about the slow recovery when I play, but just that the slow recovery after a swipe simply isn't realistic. I would rather the recovery be fast, but there is that split microsecond momentum shift where the defender is caught off guard and the ball handler is able to pass. In other words, they need a better "reach I teach" animation.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-01-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

Well put! Definitely needs a lot of improvement..
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Should it be like the football video game "Backbreaker" where one doesn't even have to press the steal or jump button to make an interception. The gamer simply maneuvers the defender in front of the football and his rating will determine if he gets an interception or not.
I get what you're saying...and we're alike, I don't go for a bunch of steals either. IMO both should be timing based for success whereas that "success rate" is determined by rating. To me thats equal parts skill and rating. IMO the window for a shot block is right after the user has released the ball. Too early (again--IMO) is a contact foul while too late can be that or run the risk of a goal-tend.

To me even if I get Gobert and have horrible timing I should not be successful blocking shots. Elite guys will probably have a somewhat larger window re: when they can attack the ball but success will ultimately require skill. IMO steals should be the same way, the ball is "free" during certain periods--if I time my steal for that period I should then have success based on my rating.

An example might be an elite ball-thief like Draymond (85) with good timing might get 6-7 steals in 20 attempts. Which may seem low but keep in mind how rare on-ball steals are. Giving guys a success rate thats too high will break the game....especially when you start to consider users with elite skill--who is who you have to tune your game for. Tuning your competitive game for average user is folly. If the average user can throw for 300yds in a Madden game the elite guy will throw for 1000.

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

guys online make dumb plays. They spam dribble moves in situations where they should lose the ball but don't . They also take horrible shots , shots that should be blocked.

I know someone guys want a realistic number of steals and blocks per game . But if my opponent is taking an unrealistic amount of dumb shots and dribble moves he should be punished.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
guys online make dumb plays. They spam dribble moves in situations where they should lose the ball but don't . They also take horrible shots , shots that should be blocked.

I know someone guys want a realistic number of steals and blocks per game . But if my opponent is taking an unrealistic amount of dumb shots and dribble moves he should be punished.
Agreed. Keep in mind each play is individual--on the first page I mentioned how I played Minny user who had 10 blocks, afterward I looked at the game trying to find bad blocks and there were really only two. He was just good at shot-blocking and used Towns/Dieng and handled his business. The video I linked has a guy controlling Towns just crushing my shot in the first minute...no reasonable person has an issue with that play. Good Timing + Good Rating = High Success Rate.

I agree bad decisions should be punished as well. Thats the overall theme of this thread...bad shots/dribble moves by your opponent just mean you'll have a higher number of blocks and steals with good timing--not that you'll get one every possession, or even every other possession.

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-01-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: 2K18: Block/Steal Timing

This is a great discussion!

A player's position, rating, and timing should play a huge role in steals and blocks.

USER vs CPU

It kills me when I see a player that has low steal and low block attempts going for blocks and steals often. Players will be out of position or behind the player yet will get a block. Sometimes reaching through a body part to do it.

I don't know how many times my player's hand or fingers go through the ball with no steal, deflection or block that leads to a bucket.

Last edited by keshunleon; 07-01-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Re: 2K18: Block/Steal Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshunleon
I don't know how many times my player's hand or fingers go through the ball with no steal, deflection or block that leads to a bucket.
I agree with the first part but I learned a long time ago that the physics of the game will never be perfect--sometimes they'll be bad, frankly. What i'm more concerned with? "Is the game balanced well and are player limited by their strengths and weaknesses?" It shouldn't matter how good a user controlling Seth Curry's timing is....he should still be riddled with fouls going for chase-down blocks. He's too limited by his rating.

I'm not saying he won't get one...but he'll use up more than his share of fouls trying to get it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I agree with the first part but I learned a long time ago that the physics of the game will never be perfect--sometimes they'll be bad, frankly. What i'm more concerned with? "Is the game balanced well and are player limited by their strengths and weaknesses?" It shouldn't matter how good a user controlling Seth Curry's timing is....he should still be riddled with fouls going for chase-down blocks. He's too limited by his rating.

I'm not saying he won't get one...but he'll use up more than his share of fouls trying to get it.
I'm going to address the above quote first before I address your earlier post because it'll make more sense this way.

Small detour. I've seen youtube breakdowns of NFL2k5 and Madden regarding ball tangibility during tip passes, interceptions, completed passes. NFL2k5 respected the ball being a tangible physical object and the outcome truly dictated if a secondary object (arm, hand, limb, torso, head, bodypart) makes contact. Madden on the other hand, ball collision physics isn't fully respected to "create" an outcome because the "ratings" or "situational ratings" already predetermined if it was going to be an interception, completed pass, etc.

The stance of saying that ball collision physics isn't always going to be perfect should however be a concerning matter and addressed. Taking ball collision physics out of the equation "to fit a certain outcome" brings forth the idea of "pre-determined" outcomes. This pass due to "situational rating" will be an interception; this pass due to "situational rating" will be a touchdown or completed pass. This will be a blocked kick because "situational rating" already predetermined the outcome, resulting in losing a game or winning a game depending on the team in question. It doesn't matter if the ball morphs around the limb or goes completely through the limb. The predetermined outcome takes precedent. Ratings taking precedent.

Keep the above concern in mind when reading my below responses.

Quote:
I get what you're saying...and we're alike, I don't go for a bunch of steals either. IMO both should be timing based for success whereas that "success rate" is determined by rating. To me thats equal parts skill and rating. To me, the window for a shot block is right after the user has released the ball. Too early (again--IMO) is a contact foul while too late can be that or run the risk of a goal-tend.
The "window of opportunity for success of a block" limited to right after the user has released the ball straddles a grey area. What is your definition for "after the user has released the ball"? Is the ball still in contact with the shooter's finger tips?

It's a grey area because the physical nature and real basketball situation says a block can happen with the ball still fully engaged with the palms, any part of the ball still in contact with the fingers, when the ball is 5 inches off the finger tips, when the ball is 1 foot, 2 foot, 3 foot, etc. from the release point, when the ball is still in the shooters hand as he goes up for the shot but isn't at the apex of his release point (the shooters arm could still be in an L shaped position versus arm in a straight position). Limiting the window of opportunity to just "after the user has released the ball" takes away real world blocking opportunities that truly happens in real basketball, or simulation basketball.

Quote:
To me even if I get Gobert and have horrible timing I should not be successful blocking shots. Elite guys will probably have a somewhat larger window re: when they can attack the ball but success will ultimately require skill. IMO steals should be the same way, the ball is "free" during certain periods--if I time my steal for that period I should then have success based on my rating.

An example might be an elite ball-thief like Draymond (85) with good timing might get 6-7 steals in 20 attempts. Which may seem low but keep in mind how rare on-ball steals are. Giving guys a success rate thats too high will break the game....especially when you start to consider users with elite skill--who is who you have to tune your game for. Tuning your competitive game for average user is folly. If the average user can throw for 300yds in a Madden game the elite guy will throw for 1000.
With regards to steal, the above concept regarding blocks also applies. A dribble involves the ball making contact with the hands and ground. The distance between the hand height and ground is the window of opportunity for steal. Some individuals dribble high, others dribble closer to the ground. Do we neglect the 2k ball tangibility if the user times his steal perfectly? Do we implement Madden's lack of ball tangibility or questionable ball tangibility to make ratings the primary determining factor?

EDIT: Regarding Madden's passing yard 300 vs 1000. This involves the interaction between WR/DB and their respective catching ratings as well as QB accuracy. A bit different than "blocking or stealing" to a certain extent.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-01-2017 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »