Home

How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm?

This is a discussion on How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
TBH that time is wasted . There is a contact dunk rating . 2k should look into differentiating that more.

@AWG811. All great points bruh !

The badge is necessary when the D.C. ending factor for a dunk in this game is speed. It shouldn't be like this but without posterizer you aren't slamming on anyone if you aren't a PF or PM. Badges really to me just make up for poor game design. In a lot of cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
The badges help illustrate differences between two players with the same archetype. Your athletic finisher may have the same ratings and is physically measurable to mine, but if I took the time to grind out the HOF badges and you did not, that will be evident.

I think instead of rewarding players, they should punish them more often for not playing team ball.

The people who just stand there and watch you when you are trying to dribble and pass to an open man, they should get a teammate grade punishment for bad spacing or something to that effect. Failure to help on the pick and roll should be another one.

I tried to grind out some walk on games this weekend with my LDD PG. It's infuriating playing by yourself and trying to defend a sharpshooter but having to run through double screens every possession with no help from your teammates. Honestly it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever gone through and I'm not quite sure why I continue to do it to myself.

I just wish there was a football game that gave as much attention to the details and mechanics that 2K does. I could switch it up when the userbase of 2K gets me so down.
I disagree.

User skill, play style (even within the same archetype), and attribute placement differentiate two players far more than unrealistic badge boosts.

Anyone can take the time to grind out every badge that the game has to offer. That doesn't make them a better player, in fact in the majority of cases, it makes them worse as they rely and depend on the badges to make up for their lack of basketball IQ and skill.

I do agree with everything else you said though!

There should definitely be more teammate grade punishment!

And if badges are here to stay, then there should also be negative badges to avoid.
For instance, if you're a "dribble god" then you should be at risk of getting the ball hog badge, which will still allow you to be a "dribble god" but have the negative effect, of say, making a teammate that you pass to loose any badge boost they would have gained because you held the ball forever.

In addition to that, the stamina system should work as promised and negatively affect dribble effectiveness/ball control and shot success, as well as negatively effecting your teammate grade more so than it does now.

I'd like to see, as far as stamina goes, if you're holding the ball too long you first get the hold ball negative grade as a warning and if you don't pass the ball, your teammate grade continues to drop until you do pass.
Also, it would be nice if setting screens drained the screeners stamina as well and in order to set a second screen, you have to reposition and risk getting an illegal screen.

There are so many flaws with this game I could go in all day, but I fear that I'm getting the thread off topic.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by awg811; 07-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by E The Rhymer
The badge is necessary when the D.C. ending factor for a dunk in this game is speed. It shouldn't be like this but without posterizer you aren't slamming on anyone if you aren't a PF or PM. Badges really to me just make up for poor game design. In a lot of cases.

then what's the point of the contact dunk rating ?
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellSKA
There are some in-game fixes that need to occur before you can implement a system like this. Like when a user leaves and you're left with a BOT that adhere's to the next closest player. As an example. Pick N Roll occurs and you pick up the ball handler. The guard of the ball handler adjusts and takes your big. The CPU isn't smart enough to recognize that and also picks up the big. The BOTs user floats to a corner and gives up the open shot and if you're the closest player you lose teammate grade points even though you are currently guarding the ball handler from the PNR.

Another issue is magnetized players. There's even a post about how 2K makes the adjustment for us and our MyPlayer clings to the nearest player. If someone cuts to the hoop and as a big I'm already trying to guard the post, more often than not my big will lock on the cutter pulling me away from my post player. Once I unlock out of that situation I'm halfway between the cutter (who is being guarded by their original defender) and the big I've been trying to guard the whole time. There's more than enough space for them to score with ease or take an open mid range.

I fully agree that there are little additions that will better the game and make "some" users better to play with. But the mechanics of the game need to be beefed up first. And these are only a couple examples of when I lose teammate grade.
Let's not pretend that it's only when there's a bot. In many cases of walk on pro am/park a bot is an upgrade!

In order to have a decent meaningful teammate grade system, 2k would need to fix some flaws, get more detailed, and have a very good way of determining if the mistake was mine or yours. That would seem very hard to do correctly, all things considered!
Old 07-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I disagree.

User skill, play style (even within the same archetype), and attribute placement differentiate two players far more than unrealistic badge boosts.

Anyone can take the time to grind out every badge that the game has to offer. That doesn't make them a better player, in fact in the majority of cases, it makes them worse as they rely and depend on the badges to make up for their lack of basketball IQ and skill.

I do agree with everything else you said though!

There should definitely be more teammate grade punishment!

And if badges are here to stay, then there should also be negative badges to avoid.
For instance, if you're a "dribble god" then you should be at risk of getting the ball hog badge, which will still allow you to be a "dribble god" but have the negative effect, of say, making a teammate that you pass to loose any badge boost they would have gained because you held the ball forever.

In addition to that, the stamina system should work as promised and negatively affect dribble effectiveness/ball control and shot success, as well as negatively effecting your teammate grade more so than it does now.

I'd like to see, as far as stamina goes, if you're holding the ball too long you first get the hold ball negative grade as a warning and if you don't pass the ball, your teammate grade continues to drop until you do pass.
Also, it would be nice if setting screens drained the screeners stamina as well and in order to set a second screen, you have to reposition and risk getting an illegal screen.

There are so many flaws with this game I could go in all day, but I fear that I'm getting the thread off topic.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app
I think it's funny you say negative badges because I remember the days of volume shooter. The badge that everyone good tried to avoid. I see that 2k has eliminated that badge or has made it extremely hard to get. That is yet another nod to the trash kids.

But yeah they should one have pro am badges in general. But they should also have negative badges. If you hold the ball for 13 seconds of a shot clock and don't score or get an assist, then you should get a badge that maybe makes you almost automatically get ripped the play after you drain a shot clock.
Or for the kids that play trash D if you leave your assignment and your man scores multiple times you should get a temporary effect where your literally worthless on offense until you play defense
Old 07-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
then what's the point of the contact dunk rating ?

It is pretty much just there for lock or unlock animations. Try it yourself the only real rating that affects a player tendency to dunk and success rate is really speed. And given how many guys online glitches to get the contact dunks on their PM it's pretty much useless because now they can also do contact dunks and due to 94SWB they are probably more likely to get a poster

Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Elite Allstar

Ray Vibes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by E The Rhymer
It is pretty much just there for lock or unlock animations. Try it yourself the only real rating that affects a player tendency to dunk and success rate is really speed. And given how many guys online glitches to get the contact dunks on their PM it's pretty much useless because now they can also do contact dunks and due to 94SWB they are probably more likely to get a poster

I've seen sharpshooters who did that animation glitch get contact dunks in the park. That right there lets me know how sketchy the contact dunk rating actually is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
I think it's funny you say negative badges because I remember the days of volume shooter. The badge that everyone good tried to avoid. I see that 2k has eliminated that badge or has made it extremely hard to get. That is yet another nod to the trash kids.

But yeah they should one have pro am badges in general. But they should also have negative badges. If you hold the ball for 13 seconds of a shot clock and don't score or get an assist, then you should get a badge that maybe makes you almost automatically get ripped the play after you drain a shot clock.

Or for the kids that play trash D if you leave your assignment and your man scores multiple times you should get a temporary effect where your literally worthless on offense until you play defense

The defens badge is tricky too many times I've good let man score and the works because I tried to play help D or someone across court left their man and 2K decided that it was my job to sprint across court to cover him even though his shot was already up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »