Home

Worth $20?

This is a discussion on Worth $20? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Worth $20?

If u have 2k16 then i would just wait it out til next game in september. Alot of patches were implemented for online n hurts the game.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #18
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Qualified? Sure. Coming from someone who plays 2k non-stop, year round for 10+ years:

Archetypes are a great offline addition and enhance the MyCareer mode, some say "limiting" and I think it's for good reason. But archetypes online basically don't exist anymore thanks to the community. Practice is a grind? Sure, if you don't enjoy the process of a... career. If you're looking to be a 1 year star studded player (which you can still do as an overall 70) then maybe you wouldn't enjoy it lol. "I got drafted 2nd overall and I suck! Not realistic!" so did Lonzo Ball and he shot 2-15 in... a... summer... league... game. "Not realistic" they say. Smh.

Everything else has been expanded on.

So $20 bucks? Absolutely worth it. Full price? Absolutely worth it. Pre-ordering 2K18? Absolutely.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
Rookie

2k11 and 2k14 are around $5ish lol now THAT'S worth it (assuming you have a last-gen console).
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
Qualified? Sure. Coming from someone who plays 2k non-stop, year round for 10+ years:

Archetypes are a great offline addition and enhance the MyCareer mode, some say "limiting" and I think it's for good reason. But archetypes online basically don't exist anymore thanks to the community. Practice is a grind? Sure, if you don't enjoy the process of a... career. If you're looking to be a 1 year star studded player (which you can still do as an overall 70) then maybe you wouldn't enjoy it lol. "I got drafted 2nd overall and I suck! Not realistic!" so did Lonzo Ball and he shot 2-15 in... a... summer... league... game. "Not realistic" they say. Smh.

Everything else has been expanded on.

So $20 bucks? Absolutely worth it. Full price? Absolutely worth it. Pre-ordering 2K18? Absolutely.
Seems like a load of snide comments in my direction without you really adding anything. I laid out some of the reasons why I think this isn't worth it and you only respond snarkily to me. Tell the guy why you think it's a great game.

Explain how well fastbreaks work to him, or explain how every single player on the court can congregate under the rim at one time or another for absolutely no reason whatsoever. tell him how much you love the defender sliding in front of your player wherever you go and how much fun it is getting pushed around the court with the new physicality added this year, and the only way to break the animation is by setting a screen.

Tell him why archetypes are a great offline addition and how being able to do only one thing really makes the game fun and varied over the course of an 82 game season.

Explain why you think this game is so good, educate this man on how the grind of a "real life" career has been perfectly recreated by 2 loading screens interspersed with barrel jump, weights, squats, jump bar, agility for a +1 to stamina or hustle attributes, and how you can only increase your free throws in a special team practice setting.

Dude, there is so much of this game that is tired, monotonous, and repetitive that it's untrue. I dominate career mode easily on HoF, so it's not a complaint that the game is too hard, it's just too much of a one dimensional chore.

Now tell this poster why you think I'm wrong, don't just allude to my comments with some snide.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably skip NBA2k17 and stick with NBA2k16 for the following reasons, in my opinion.

1) Defense - in 2k16 both CPU and user controlled seems better than 2k17. 2k17's user teammate's defense frequently are out of position. Leaving guys for wide open threes and open shots. Same with the CPU.

2) Player control - it feels as if you have more control over your players in 2k16.

3) Aesthetics - player models are more realistically modeled in 2k16. There are anorexics flooded all over 2k17 (incredibly thin arms and lack of upper torso definition; it's been mentioned that a good percentage of the players have high school type bodies). Example: Durant, Curry, Giannis, etc.

4) Challenge - 2k16 level hall of fame is much more challenging than 2k17; It took me a couple weeks to win on 2k17 HOF. It took me several months to finally win a single game on 2k16 HOF. Fired up a game today in 2k16 HOF and still got my butt handed to me despite using the Warriors.

5) Final Scores - Lower scoring games in 2k16 (less than 100; 80-100). Higher scoring games in 2k17 (110 - 130 mark)

6) Fast breaks - for some odd reason, (could just be me), but in 2k17, both the ball handler (user and CPU) slows down/hunches over when sprinting towards the basket on many frequent occasions allowing the defense to recover. Feels like the fast break is nerfed. 2k16 if my recollection is correct (plus I also fired up a few games today on 2k16), your running speed on fast break looks and feels the part; it doesn't have any hunch over animation. It doesn't have this "force field" or "slowing, hunch over" animation. The fast break feels and looks the part in 2k16.

7) Menu, navigation. There are two different camps with 2k17's menu. There's a lot of "pie-chart." Personally I like it, but there are a good percentage of users that really don't care much for it because according to them, it isn't intuitive. I still like 2k17's color coded menu. I think 2k17's menu is intuitive.

8) Post game halftime highlights (PS4) - they finally work for NBA2k17; NBA2k16's post game highlights don't work. 2k16 doesn't have player of the game highlights. 2k17 has post game highlights, something that I've been wanting them to fix and has been fixed in 2k17.

I've been playing 2k17 for the past couple of weeks and decided to fire up 2k16 today for all the above reasons and if I have to be honest, I'll be playing 2k16 until 2k18 releases. If I only had 2k17, I'd play that. But since I have both digitally installed, I'm going to go with 2k16.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-10-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
Pro

I'd definitely buy a copy for $20. I didn't know gamestop had it for that price. I'll be stopping by this evening to pick up a copy for PS4 when I get off work. All of the homies have made the switch from Xbox to PS4 so I might as well do it to. It'll keep me busy until 2k18 drops.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

It sure is worth the price. I say that as an offline, myleauge exclusive player. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment in this game offline at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #24
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
Which makes us more qualified than others to give out recommendations.
You don't think that getting that much playtime is worth $20?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »