Home

Are We Hypocrites If We Aren't Buying 2K18 Then Eventually Buy It?

This is a discussion on Are We Hypocrites If We Aren't Buying 2K18 Then Eventually Buy It? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Are We Hypocrites If We Aren't Buying 2K18 Then Eventually Buy It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Everyone is entitled to change their mind so its whatever....we dont have to put labels on anyone.

What I do know is maybe 10% of people actually follow through on the threat....and are back on board by the second trailer....so I never really got the idea of saying it on a yearly basis..
It's meaningful. It's like your girl/wife saying she's gonna leave you, or being like damn the cable company is really ripping me off. It's a legit thought; it's not going away, but we are also creatures of habit. Also, a lot of us who play this game have large groups of friends who play, who will be like mannn u got it yet?

It's almost like an addiction where you are like I gotta drink or whatever then you do it and you sit there and you are like why did I do it? Then you do it again. If you're like man I am never gonna drink again, you might be showing you are weak willed if people know you are going to give in, but I've always felt that after awhile, maybe half of the people actually move on. We are in general slow to change.

Not to mention, the moment a comparable bball game drops, they might really switch just out of spite.

I know I've been going from "I'm disappointed (16)." to "I'm not gonna buy unless...(17)" and now I really don't think I'm gonna get it. Maybe it's just... video game basketball. haha. I guess a lot of us who had been playing for years thought, after all of this time, it would be more than that.

-Smak
Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

There's no need to treat it like a moral imperative, though. If you buy, you buy. If not, you don't. Little to be gained, nothing to be lost.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
As I said months ago, unless I see something very different in the way of communications from 2k before launch that sways me, I will not order the game until at least 3 weeks after it drops. And even then, I will only order it if people are absolutely wowed by it.

2k used to have my trust, but that's gone now. They accomplished that with 2k17, and then I got even more distrustful of the whole industry and its marketing when a once reliable studio in Bethesda cut a big wet fart with Mass Effect Andromeda. I'll happily watch and wait until late October and then decide if I want to pick up the game, maybe used.

That means I won't be making videos early this year to help people play the game. I won't be creating threads here and answering questions about freelance offenses or defensive settings or whatever. I will no longer bother trying to do 2k's job for it when it won't engage the community honestly or build a game that actually fits its pieces together smoothly.

That's unfortunately what 2k has now taught me, and I won't put my time in the way I did last year when 2k didn't show up to minimally support and respect this community through sufficient communications about features and settings.

I hope someone here wants to start the "wiki" thread to help people play 2K18 in my place.
Interesting that Mike Wang liked this post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #52
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhein77
Good thread... I am torn as well... I am personally going to sit back and see how things shake out. It is encouraging that Live is already starting its marketing efforts...

If 2k sits on its hands and I don't see any gameplay or concrete information until September I will not purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, it won't be any different from 2k for the last 10 years... so that's how they'll do it again. They wait until August and give out all their news. I wouldn't call it "sitting on their hands", they just give you all the info the month prior to release.

"Well I'm not pre-ordering then" - so? You should probably only pre-order games you KNOW you're going to like, so, I've already pre-ordered 2k18. I'm absolutely positive I'm going to like it. Offline/MyLeague/MyGM guy, so all that MyPark to me, is a different story, but I don't play those modes because of casuals/"grinders".
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #53
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Pre-ordering it as always 2k games are more enjoyable at release, the tweeks to the manhanics the slightly upgraded graphics the freshness of the new rookies, waiting for a patch that could potentially make the game worse is stupid and you know it will happen when people start complaining that the game is too hard.
I want to give this a thumbs up... 16 hundred thousand times.

2K release game?? Absolutely great. It's 2K's original vision for their new iteration of the game. Defense works, jumpshots don't fall, hard to finish in the paint.

Then? Millions of complaints that the game is "too hard", "I can't get past my defender", "Jumpshots are broken I never make anything"... so 2K patches and all you get are 75% shooters and that's apparently what the community wants because that's all they voice.

0-12 from the 3 point line as Steph Curry against the 76ers IS Sim because it happened. But the community wouldn't let you have that. It's an aberation... but it's sim.

I am hoping though, greatly, with the inclusion of the eSports project that we'll start to get a seriously interesting 2K in the near future.

Last edited by MoodMuzik; 07-17-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #54
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
Well, it won't be any different from 2k for the last 10 years... so that's how they'll do it again. They wait until August and give out all their news. I wouldn't call it "sitting on their hands", they just give you all the info the month prior to release.

"Well I'm not pre-ordering then" - so? You should probably only pre-order games you KNOW you're going to like, so, I've already pre-ordered 2k18. I'm absolutely positive I'm going to like it. Offline/MyLeague/MyGM guy, so all that MyPark to me, is a different story, but I don't play those modes because of casuals/"grinders".

The release of info for last years game was peculiar compared to prior releases... we hardly got any "meaty" information until Sept. for 2K17.

The first actual article about gameplay with Mike Wang surfaced sept. 1st to be exact.

http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/nb...log-mike-wang/

It is fact that the flow of information has slowed with the commercial success of the game. Look at the rollout of information with 2k11 and 12 compared to last year... It is very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #55
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJones07
1. Just continuing our league how it is. Players retire themselves and of course we have the ability to create our own draft classes, how ever and who ever we create. They have two options here, like MLB The Show you'll have to continue your dynasty without official new rookies. BUT if 2K wanted they could give us a draft class file of the official rookies that year, they are already going to be on the disc, plus they already have a feature where we can import a new draft class at any point during the season.

2. If there are new player models, well we can just edit the bodies. They allow us to do that already.

3. Ratings/Badges well, the game already has a progression system, and on top of that we can edit any player rating as we see fit even if we don't like the roster update ratings. Any new badges well, just default them at not having it, or like MLB The Show have the ratings determine if they have any new badges assigned to them.

This is all specifically tied to myleague.
Thanks for a thoughful answer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #56
MVP

I'm always behind on releases. Bought 2K17 in February used. Bought 2K16 last summer used. Just got an XBOX1 last year. So I don't pay full price for anything.....except Star Wars Battlefront 2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »