Home

Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archetype

This is a discussion on Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archetype within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archetype

Here's how I think Choosing a Players skill base is way more better than choosing in most cases a one dimensional archetype will keep the game balanced while at the same time not limit my players to one style.

Here are your attribute caps meaning no created players can have a higher rating than the player type they choose or any other badges than the player they choose. No my player can exceed the height of the player they choose (Nobody is better than these players, they are the best in the world, keep that in mind even though this is a game and not real life). For example and these are my opinions. These players are the standard. I TRIED to aim for the two best OFFENSIVE, DEFENSIVE, ALL AROUND or just the best at that position for every position.

Point guard types

Stephen Curry: 6'3, 190lbs
Russell Westbrook: 6'3, 200lbs
Chris Paul: 6'0, 175lbs
John Wall: 6'4, 210lbs
Kyrie Irving: 6'3, 193lbs
Patrick Beverly: 6'1, 185lbs

Shooting guard types

James Harden: 6'5, 220lbs
Jimmy Butler: 6'7, 231lbs
Klay Thompson: 6'7, 215lbs
Demar Derozan: 6'7, 219lbs
Avery Bradely: 6'2, 180lbs
Bradley Beal: 6'5, 207

Small Forward types

Lebron James Type: 6'8, 250 lbs
Kevin Durant Type: 6'10, 240 lbs
Kawhi Leonard Type: 6'7, 230 lbs
Paul George: 6'9, 220lbs
Giannis Antetokounmpo: 6'11, 222lbs
Carmeo Anthony: 6'8, 220lbs

Power forward types

Anthony Davis: 6'10, 253lbs
Blake Griffin: 6'10, 251lbs
Draymond Green: 6'7, 230lbs
Kevin Love: 6'10, 251lbs
Lamarcus Aldridge: 6'8, 246lbs
Kristaps Porzingis: 7'3, 240lbs

Center types

Demarcus cousins: 6'11, 270lbs
Karl Anthony Townes: 7'0, 244lbs
Deandre Jordan: 6'11, 265lbs
Nikola Jokic: 6'11, 253lbs
Hassan Whiteside: 7'0, 265lbs
Marc Gasol: 7'1, 255lbs

In other words if you want a LeBron type player, you choose the LeBron player base which would cap Every attribute so that you cannot go past lebrons actual attributes in the game and you can only attain the badges that LeBron has.

Or If you want to be a player like kevin Durant or the greek freak, you choose those player types and cap my players attributes at the NBA players actual attributes and you can only gain the badges that that player has and nothing more. That way it does not get cheesy. So if you choose a Kevin Durant style his strengths are your strengths and his weaknesses are yours also.

If you want your my player to be like Stephen curry cap his height at whatever height Stephen curry is, 6'3 or whatever and cap his attributes and badges at what Stephen Curry has in the game.

if needed to take it further if the player you chose takes a hit on his attributes in a new roster update then your player if you have boosted his attributes to cap out playing my career then the attribute that took a hit on the players style you chose will also take a hit for you. Or would these be considered "demi god" builds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archety

I see the reasoning here but I personally don't want to make my player a carbon copy of another player. It defeats the point of "My Player."

I think having dual Archetypes would do the trick with limitations. In some cases be able to have 3 Archetypes in the case your height is really short or something to even it out. Something like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Re: Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archety

I get where you're coming from, however you have to consider how the community will respond.

"I chose the Russell Westbrook and I can't average a 30 point triple double! This is broken!" Smh. And that's just the start of it all lol.

I love archetypes, the community doesn't want it though because they want to be able to do everything regardless of height/weight/wingspan/attributes/badges.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Pro

Good idea but that last part would have everybody choosing LeBron. If you can't go past the players actual attributes (LeBrons the highest rated player nearly every year) and can only get their badges (He has the most badges) then there really is no point in some of the other guys. His attributes give him a good 3, mid range, post up, shot close, defense, athleticism, and passing.

It would be 90% LeBrons at SF and 10% Durants.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Banned

Unfortunately they've already confirmed archetypes are returning, all be it, expanded ones. Gotta give people roles for esports.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

I guess we will just have to see what 2k comes up with. The problem comes in where you have players wanting to replicate the Kevin Durants of the world or the Greek freak, putting that type of player type in the game is hard to make without making the game cheesy bc they do exist in real life. That tall with reasonable speed and playmaking skills etc.

The scary part is that there are more and more taller players actually PLAYING MORE AND MORE LIKE GUARDS smh. How will you bring that over to a game without it being unbalanced.

Some of these kids now days are coming to the league 6'9 with GUARD skills and STILL growing while they are in the league. Did yall catch some of these summer league games. Kyle Kuzma anybody....

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 07-19-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
I guess we will just have to see what 2k comes up with. The problem comes in where you have players wanting to replicate the Kevin Durants of the world or the Greek freak, putting that type of player type in the game is hard to make without making the game cheesy bc they do exist in real life. That tall with reasonable speed and playmaking skills etc.

The scary part is that there are more and more taller players actually PLAYING MORE AND MORE LIKE GUARDS smh. How will you bring that over to a game without it being unbalanced.

Some of these kids now days are coming to the league 6'9 with GUARD skills and STILL growing while they are in the league. Did yall catch some of these summer league games. Kyle Kuzma anybody....

I wanna be my own guy for real

But if you want to yeah it'd make it easy for the kids who just wanna mimic a guy

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeawayJay
I like the archetypes too, but for online modes only. When I play offline I want to be able to make a beast, not just a role player. Sure, if you're skilled, you can still win MVP etc. with these archetypes, but in order to do so, you have to play cheese.

Fx. when I started a MyCareer at launch, I created a SG/Slasher aiming to be a Jimmy Butler type player. Nothing too spectacular, put up maybe 20/5/5 while playing good team basketball, hitting a few open threes off screens, lockdown D etc. That wasn't even possible as my guy could literally not hit a three. And in order for me to score 20+points I literally had to be the biggest ball hog with non stop ISO's, cuts etc. Offline Mycareer is completely broken. It's garbage. Even the story is garbage, despite best efforts. Separate offline and online, cut the story down, make our choices matter and make it waaaaaay more customisable. Then you could make it worthwhile again.
You don't have to be skilled though, as a 70 overall PG you can just about average a triple double. Been that way for years. They need to include sliders and roster edits for MyCareer, THAT would blow the game mode wide open.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »