Home

Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archetype

This is a discussion on Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archetype within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archety

I'm actually one of the people that really like the archetypes. I think they're a good idea, but wasn't handled the best way. That seems to be a theme of 2k17 lol. The problem with going to a system like this is that it still has the same problem that people have already sounded off on in this thread. It's still too restrictive. Yes you can now score multiple ways and have some semblance of a 2 way player, but you have to be those players exactly in order to do that. You give up creativity for balance.

I think the problem with the archetypes isn't really with the system, but with the ratings. As it stands, there's really no way of differentiating archetypes without dumbing the others down. There's no reason to use lockdown defender if everyone can defend. There's no reason to use sharpshooter if everyone can shoot. I think a ratings system revamp would fix this. I haven't sat long enough with this to be able to give details of this (I'll work on that), but think of it this way. If everybody could shoot (competantly) I'd be willing to use a sharpshooter if I had access to quicker, cleaner catch and shoot animations (to simulate good footwork and speed up releases without making the other archetypes' animations feel too slow to use) and a high contested shot rating off of the catch.

I think they tried to do this with badges but it just didn't pan out. So I think the next move is to change the rating categories and how the function as a whole in 2k and to weigh different ratings differently in each archetype, instead of having them go up uniformly (i.e. same contested shot rating as open or almost every single defensive rating being the same rating)

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN

Last edited by killaxxbearsxxx; 07-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Making My Players Choose An NBA Players Play Style Instead Of Choosing An Archety

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeawayJay
I like the archetypes too, but for online modes only. When I play offline I want to be able to make a beast, not just a role player. Sure, if you're skilled, you can still win MVP etc. with these archetypes, but in order to do so, you have to play cheese.

Fx. when I started a MyCareer at launch, I created a SG/Slasher aiming to be a Jimmy Butler type player. Nothing too spectacular, put up maybe 20/5/5 while playing good team basketball, hitting a few open threes off screens, lockdown D etc. That wasn't even possible as my guy could literally not hit a three. And in order for me to score 20+points I literally had to be the biggest ball hog with non stop ISO's, cuts etc. Offline Mycareer is completely broken. It's garbage. Even the story is garbage, despite best efforts. Separate offline and online, cut the story down, make our choices matter and make it waaaaaay more customisable. Then you could make it worthwhile again.

Well jimmy butler would be more like a shot creator this year anyway where you would be able to hit those three off the pick and roll and open

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »