Home

NBA 2k11 defense cpu AI is amazing

This is a discussion on NBA 2k11 defense cpu AI is amazing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #49
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NBA 2k11 defense cpu AI is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
This statement here is just complete BS. The AI did not get dumber you want players to play like themselve but can't accept that some players are slower, bad passers, dont jump as high, bad rebounders, bad shot blockers or simply bad defensively, you have to take the good with the bad as we continue to move toward hyper realism not every team should play like the Spurs or Celtics, when you play with a team like the Cavs you should expect you will be playing with a disadvantage defensively.
It's not BS. I just see glaring flaws in the AI that have been more apparent this gen then last gen. Not saying everything about the AI is worse, some better, maybe some good, but I've seen worse.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #50
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
It's not BS. I just see glaring flaws in the AI that have been more apparent this gen then last gen. Not saying everything about the AI is worse, some better, maybe some good, but I've seen worse.
Do you watch real NBA games if you do can acknowledge that every team does not respond the same defensively neither do the individual players, 2k is tring to replicate that in a video game some time successfully other time not so much that is why you think that the defense was better in 2k11 it's by design to try to replicate the differences between a bad defensive team/player vs a good on.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #51
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
I see you took an example of mines and thought I was saying facts. I'm simply talking about the evolution. Did 2K11 have branching and Dynamic points 2K11 has a significant lot less instructions than 2K17, that is not up for debate. Again this is just about execution period. 2K11 Defense versus 2K17 offense would look stupid, because of the amount of instructions and options they give the AI.
I strongly disagree here.

2k11 Defense shows considerable strength in overall team hustle, individual on ball defense and lateral quickness to stay congruent with defender, and the help the helper rotations are so seemly they look instant, like the recognition is A1.

I personally don't have much more to ask for from my defense outside of them committing to my defensive plugs in the gameplan.

One beauty of a gem I see in the 2k11 clips is how big and small defenders are shading above their man as their man approaches the paint! This way they are defending the easy pass but these offensive players are not even looking for a pass - still, the defense is dialed in!

You'll see Gasol do it and I think Artest on separate occasions. It's somewhat subtle but it's very clear they are making it difficult to make a pass into the paint and this sequence is carried out visually in a Sim respective manner. You'd have to make a lob pass to get it in clean and even that could be difficult depending on your pass rating and the offensive player hands.

You add this defensive shading against movements into the paint, defender between ball and man, and you add the hustle (Gasol hustling to close out from a 3 at the top), the on ball defensive IQ and lateral quickness and you have a standard of defense that is fit to cover any advanced offense when you incorporate the help the helper tendencies and fluid transitions that 2k11 demonstrates.

Offense can get as advanced as it needs to be but defense can remain solid in the basics. No need for me to get into a debate here on animation libraries versus animation libraries. I'm not influenced by that package of beliefs. I'm persuaded by solid mechanics and animations in general at a basic, core level; I'm not won over by the message that many more is equal to marginally merrier. In some cases I'll definitely take less where I can find better in the few.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #52
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Offensive movement has evolved tenfold since '11 was released...so yes, there is a lot more the defense has to account for in the current games....it's not really a matter of believing it, there are literally cutting angles that didn't exist. as movement was still pretty linear back then....2K11s defense was still pretty susectable to lead passing then...I can only imagine trying to follow some of the curls that can be run now...

I do agree with the premise that the defense is in need of a rebuild...even if we have to remove the suite of options we have now (which I'm sure many would agree are pretty unreliable and often contradict) in the interim....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

2K18 is incredibly boring to me. I somehow splashed three threes. All green releases with Giannis last night. I won. But it felt so cheap.

I'm not having much fun with this one.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #54
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Offensive movement has evolved tenfold since '11 was released...so yes, there is a lot more the defense has to account for in the current games.
Give me the responsiveness and help the helper tendencies these guys in 2k11 are showing. There is a sense of Defensive Awareness these guys in 2k11 are playing with that I favor and would appreciate seeing parlayed into today's titles with today's current mechanics.

(I'm not advocating for an unpenetrable defense. The 2k11 clips do show breakdowns which is favorable to see.)

You can keep today's mechanics and add 2k11's help the helper discipline plus that series' sense of urgency and hustle that's demonstrated. Take the positives from that series and carry it over to today. Keep what mechanics you feel are necessary for today's culture.

The awareness is lacking compared to the offensive progress but I'd appreciate the defensive being given less triggers. I feel less triggers would increase the ability to stay disciplined on defense due to a shorter range of possibilities to process.

Have the Defense be very strong on the basic fundamentals. From here you can overcome difficienices with user input, gameplanning, and effective defensive leaders like Artest, Gasol or Kobe in 2k11.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #55
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
2K18 is incredibly boring to me. I somehow splashed three threes. All green releases with Giannis last night. I won. But it felt so cheap.

I'm not having much fun with this one.

The old 2k games are more intense and fun. More personality too.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
The old 2k games are more intense and fun. More personality too.

I don't know what it is. It just feels basic. I was on superstar too. The perfect releases to me are just so bad for the game. I hate that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »