Home

NBA 2K17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA 2K17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

You guy's know the drill.

If you have questions, if you are in need of some strategy help (online or off), if you don't know how to do certain moves, or if you just want some general help then this is for you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

how do you do the Euro step this year?

how do you split the defense in a screen situation?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I use the Warriors. What is the best way to shoot a step back jumper?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrook07
how do you do the Euro step this year?

how do you split the defense in a screen situation?
Double tap X (on xbox). Holding turbo and double tapping X does a spin layup
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Rookie

Does anyone know what sequences trigger each size-up combo? Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You guy's know the drill.

If you have questions, if you are in need of some strategy help (online or off), if you don't know how to do certain moves, or if you just want some general help then this is for you!

You can delete my earlier thread if you want. This is the more appropriate location for this video.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Gonna share these great ball handling tips from BQ32 in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
This is great. I've never been a great dribble stick skills guy, and when I tried to focus on it more last year I didn't really succeed, because I found it so hard to get past those suction defender animations, and I don't play a lot of iso ball anyway. This year from the Prelude I feel much more able to create off the dribble and am looking forward to practicing and getting better results.

I have some questions for the OP and anyone else, though.

When you're breaking down a defender, tell me about what you are focused on to set him up. For example:
  • What part of the floor do you like to work from and why?
  • How much space do you really want to have to start off?
  • What is your eye focused on in terms of reading the defender's reactions to your dribble actions and at what point to you make the decision to attack?
  • What particular moves if any do you like to use in different spaces on the floor or in response to the defender's body reactions?
  • What are you looking at in terms of pick and roll defense by both defenders and what decisions are you making about how to attack as a result?
I notice in my own messing around that I have less variety in what I do than I see in the video, so I know I need to diversify. Some of that means just getting more practice to make different moves more automatic and intentional, not just spamming dribble actions to see if something opens up.

I also notice I don't use pick and roll as creatively as I could. For example, I see some spots in the video where you do more dribble action breakdown of the defender before ever making use of the screen. Simple idea, but I haven't been doing it. I also tend to under utilize the pull up game from mid range, maybe also because that was so hard to do last year. Looking at each sequence in that video and really noticing all the actions/options available will help me expand my arsenal, I'm sure.

For example, I think I'm actually going to list out all the ways/options to use the pick and roll/pick and pop set up on paper this year so I can remember and practice all of them, so I can react without thinking in a game. Too often, I make a decision about what I want to do before I make the play and I'm not dynamically reading what the defense is doing.
Ok Here is your break down, hope you and some others get to see it before it get buried with all the new threads.

Before we get started a couple quick notes. Though the ball control is much closer to 1-1 button presses it is not and each move is still an animation that needs to be branched. Knowing that you have to actually find out what each player's branches are. Some moves go together very quickly while others branch more slowly depending on the dribble package. This also means that each player will have unique timing to certain moves and will be differentiated as such, so you will have to learn a different dribble package and the branch timing with each player. There are also specific moves that I found the CPU likes to bite on almost every time but I am not giving it away just yet. Now to your list.

*I like to use every part of the floor because I can. However where I am depends on what I will try and do and how much I will play with the ball. I will try and go quicker and not play with it as much at an angle or one side because there is less space. I prefer to run the High pick and roll, and will pull it out as far as the D will guard me. This will give me all kinds of space after beating the D to make decision such as using a floater, seeing the help and kicking to an open wing, throwing the lob, or going strong.

*Space dictates what you should do or can do but not whether you should or should not do something. If your at a standstill you have to use setups like the hesi into cross into escape. If your crowded use the behind the back more on the second move when going forward. The cross will bounce into the D for a turnover unless escaping side to side.Also when crowded I sometimes like to use the pullback escape to create space and then set them up. with more space such as running in transition or just dribbling up with a cushion I like to hit them with a quick cross or behind the back and just go (change speeds with this, slow your player by easing on the left stick and then right stick cross, the change in acceleration will toast the D occassionally). After hitting that move watch how they react, if they are burnt toast then go, If they are with you I love the pullback (RS down plus RT/R2) or secondary behind the back while going forward.

*This one can be tough but you can watch the defender and see what they bite on. This part is the hardest and requires speed of thought or being mentally prepared. I trained myself to be ready to R2/RT explode when I see them bite or jump. Example: I cross back and forth twice, escape cross back, and then mentally am ready for them to bite on the escape cross. Once they do you push left stick diagonally away and forward from ball hand while holding right trigger. This should be an explosive cross. Sometimes I jump the gun and go without the AI biting. If this happens and you have enough space you can cut back behind that back many times and still eat some french toast, or use the pull back and call a pick.

*Already kind of covered this one but I will use any move anywhere depending on how the D is playing me.

*PNR is huge for me as it is a huge part of the NBA (Master This). First be fluid with the pick controls so you can call a pnr, pnfade, pn slip without having to spend brain resources thinking about it and can concentrate on attacking. Also use Icon pick controls so you can dictate the which player to control understanding their strength and weaknesses so you know what you want to do and the space you want to create. If the big is playing off try and run your defender into the pick creating space for a jump shot or get in space and make them make a decision if they both go with you you might have the roller for a free dunk. The weakside D loves to run in and try and take this away so don't rush, wait for the help and kick to the open man. If the big is trying to jump it you can make your pick man slip and catch a quick open dunk or extra pass 3. Also when I see them both playing high many time I like to set up a hesi towards the pick and then quickly cross back rejecting the screen. The player or AI will many times be trying to cope with getting over the screen quickly and you will have extra crispy toast. Explode quickly to the rim but Always be ready for help. Note: I don't play and 1 style every play, this was a highlight film showing great stuff that can be done this year.

These are great tips but they are useless if your not willing to put the effort in both to get there skillfully with the sticks and mentally quickly being able to react to animations and help D. I have a lifetime of experience obsessing over the game of basketball and years of experience playing basketball games. This will give me an advantage in figuring things out quickly but with patience the game this year provides the tools to really keep your defender on skates. Hope some people find this useful and keep an eye out for future videos as I am just getting my channel started.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Rookie

zaywop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Double tap X (on xbox). Holding turbo and double tapping X does a spin layup
are we supposed to hold the second X to fill the lay up meter?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »