Home

NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Great Article on Brian Mazique Experience on 2k18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
It is a menu option either offball control or handoffs you get to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Czar- How is the off-ball movement this year..

1. Are freelances/plays programmed to setup quicker?

2. Was there an emphasis on offball movement with regards to players moving around the floor with more purpose and sense of urgency? (Eliminating all the bumping and players muddling together and breaking down plays)

Thanks!

Last edited by ch46647; 08-05-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Gameplay, Graphics & Animation (Forbes)

I feel like similar things have been said before and we know how it turned out.

What about fast break defense? Is the AI programmed to turn and face the perimeter upon passing the freethrow line mid chasedown like they do now?

Even if it starts great it can still be patched to death.

No black hole effect might lead to people saying 'screens don't work' next thing you know it's a black hole effect.

Brick Wall nerf might get patched and become over buffed.

AI defenders doing things, idk about that. AI defenders were said to do things this year that they don't.

Point is hands on impressions rarely stay relevant throughout the year, I want to see what improvements have been made that can't or won't be patched.

Last edited by FixEverything2k; 08-05-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #35
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Czar- How is the off-ball movement this year..

1. Are freelances/plays programmed to setup quicker?

2. Was there an emphasis on offball movement with regards to players moving around the floor with more purpose and sense of urgency? (Eliminating all the bumping and players muddling together and breaking down plays)

Thanks!

I look forward to hearing opinions on what yall think but this was definitely a point of emphasis. How much it has improved is best judged by you guys.

As I have said pretty consistently as the movement improves the offensive execution will follow. The intricate play designs put a lot of pressure on movement that other games don' yet have to deal with on both sids of the ball, so the more it improves the more of the work we put in will shine through.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #36
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

I'd love to know if plays out of a timeout got some love.

I know this is wishful thinking, but I would LOVE to see diagrams of sets to choose from (like what a coach would draw on a clipboard). Almost like the series of plays you choose from in Madden.

This would really add to end of game plays.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #37
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
I'd love to know if plays out of a timeout got some love.

I know this is wishful thinking, but I would LOVE to see diagrams of sets to choose from (like what a coach would draw on a clipboard). Almost like the series of plays you choose from in Madden.

This would really add to end of game plays.
That would be nice.

Although, there is a practise plays feature in the new MyGM/ML modes now which will be a major help.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #38
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypotheadd
I miss the days when the game that we purchased at launch, was the same game that we played throughout the entire year
But every year (after the 3-day honeymoon) people are complaining how broken the game is. Then after 2-3 months (and 3-4 patches) it's "unplayable and they should have never touched it, it was perfect at release!".

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

Last edited by youvalss; 08-06-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #39
Banned

lilkoolaid's Arena

OVR: 0

Thank you for all of this info especially the TOWEL!! thank god they put it this time.

but my concern is, they did not address:

*slow driving lay up for PG (especially I.T) did they fix this? and also that slow dunk animation or shot under the basket, like its waiting to be block..can somebody confirm if this is fix????

*running for fastbreak making you slow bcoz of that magnetic pull from the defense.

*halftime??anything new?

*Replays?? please tell me they make a new highlight replay showing the whole thing..at least in 2 different cams like how it should be.

and please tell me that there is a slider for clothing. like how Iverson dress up coz not all wants to look like a xxl mumble rappers.

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #40
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

I hope the passing & catching is quicker/smoother this year. Modern NBA is becoming more about ball movement moreso than iso these days, so it would be nice to be able to execute quick passes around the perimeter and use ball movement as the edge to your offense rather than isos and postups. Post-up offense is getting slowly phased out now, because defensive switching schemes have become so sophisticated that postups are less effective now.

Speaking of modern NBA defense. Defensive switching is the name of the game in the NBA now. So i hope the AI's defensive self-awareness is improved in 2k18. Last year the cpu (on your own team) made some weird switching decisions. Maybe it would help the devs to bring in an NBA assistant coach or something to help with basketball philosophy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypotheadd
My issue with gameplay always comes down to how it is 2-3 months after release... I'll admit, 2k16 & 2k17 were freaking amazing at launch...but all it took was a couple of patches to completely derail the game & take the "control" away from the user.
Totally. That has happened 2 years in a row now. Why is that?? I remember really enjoying 2k17 straight out of the box. Then it became sluggish, unresponsive and frustrating to play after the patches. And it seems like a consensus opinion around here too. Then why does it happen? Is it because they're trying to stop the online cheesers from dominating? I wouldn't know, i only play against the CPU. Honest question...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »