Home

NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: New Game Informer article about gameplay (Hint of a new mode?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar

Every year I can say our AI logic is improved because we add a lot of capabilities that were not there the year before.
It would help if the devs would put out a video showing problems with last year's game and what you've done to fix that or to open up the game even more in the new game. Konami have done this before with PES, and you were doing it before you joined the 2K team. It's 2017. It's standard now for games companies to show us the difference between the new iteration of a game and the previous iteration.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

I'm really intrigued by this new game mode...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #35
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

I might be one of those guys that has to get this game early this year. Maybe they'll have a Prelude type mode, but if not, I'm gonna be on the black market lmao. Seriously, I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with this series. Every time I feel like I'm done with it, 2K says some sexy things that I want to hear. This year has the biggest gameplay promises I can remember and they've addressed everything I've ever asked about during the 2K17 life cycle. I'm optimistic, because I want them to be true and if they are this may be the best game ever. Something you call off work for. I swear if this game delivers on most of what it's promising and doesn't patch itself to hell by January, I'm gonna be able to die happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Does anyone know about this MyDynasty? Did the author misspeak and meant MyGM? Is it a MyTeam mode? Or is it a new mode that is connected to the Shaq legends cover?

Czar I know you can't answer, but does anyone else know anything?
That's a language gaffe by me. I meant MyTeam
Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Matt Bertz, over at Game Informer, has posted their NBA 2K18 hands-on impressions, which include plenty of details about the upcoming game. Topics include enhanced player accuracy, revamped player motion, smarter shooting, deeper passing controls, dirtier paint play, freer ball physics, better defensive coordination, coaches matter and so much more, including a little tidbit about MyDynasty? We've posted a few details from the article below, but be sure to read the entire article here.
  • The team created a new physics-focused system that always accounts for a player's size, acceleration, and speed before compiling the animations available in a particular circumstance.

• A new shooting feedback system gives you the context to understand why your shot did or didn't go in.

• This year you can control where the pass goes by how long you hold the basic passing button.

• Visual Concepts also put a lot of emphasis in opening up the triple threat possibilities for skilled big men.

These are the 4 that stood out to me and do my soul good lol

I kinda feel 2k is straight lying to us about the first one honestly because that would be HUGE. So you are telling me that if I make my dude 350 pounds in 2k18 I'm going to get certain animations to go my way no matter what because of my size? So when a 180 pound guard runs into the paint I'm going to put him on his butt? That's what that sounds like to me. A lot of those stupid animations won't happen like 5' 6" PGs standing me up when I'm driving to the rim.

New shooing feedback will help eliminate all those ppl who use the excuse "I thought i was open". Like no you didn't bro your meter said you were smothered shut up.

The pressure passing is gonna help a lot of people. Sometimes guys are open in the corner and I wish I could press one button to get it to him but now all I have to do is hold it and it will hit that guy in the corner 100% of the time. That's huge for my passing out the post.

Finally opening up triple threat possibilities for big men is huge. I would love to enter and exit post ups using the triple threat so I can catch guys spamming and explode out of it with an effective drive. In 2k17 driving from the triple threat against users just doesn't work well. I literally don't even do it it's so Bad. Even if guys are spamming like crazy you can't punish them because the driving is so trash from triple threat and jab step. I hope they've really looked into the post in general because there is a lot they are getting wrong with it. Main issue still being that we don't have a protect ball button where we can hold the ball out really high and away from any defender that may double

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I am for that artificial stupidity and player motion. Some of these seem like small tweaks but they can make a huge improvement on realism and game play and will go unnoticed to a casual player.

This is what I think the offensive and defensive awareness ratings was made for in my opinion to really replicate players. The only down side I can see is this might make more users play more off ball defense to minimize weak defenders
If they try to play off-ball to remedy it, then just abuse them like IRL. Whether it's putting that player in a P&R or or just giving it too his man and calling for an ISO. To me, not playing on-ball is weak, but it's something we've been given the tools to attack. In 2K17 Y/Triangle cuts or calling for a P&R and slipping the pick helped me kill anybody who played off-ball. With the new P&R system I've been reading so much about, I'm sure it'll give us even more options. I got so good at this last year, that everybody who played me eventually switched to on-ball because I would just score with whoever they were guarding easily. Off-ball also allows you to better run plays because the CPU didn't steal spam or force pickups. Running something as simple as a floppy was near automatic, that Fist play from the Rockets playbook was amazing against off-ball.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #39
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
It would help if the devs would put out a video showing problems with last year's game and what you've done to fix that or to open up the game even more in the new game. Konami have done this before with PES, and you were doing it before you joined the 2K team. It's 2017. It's standard now for games companies to show us the difference between the new iteration of a game and the previous iteration.

Your talking to the choir. I still do as much as I can on my channel but most of my free time is spent working on the game.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Your talking to the choir. I still do as much as I can on my channel but most of my free time is spent working on the game.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
I know about and appreciate the work you do for the family post-release, but I think it's still important as part of the pre-release marketing strategy that some of the devs (if not you) show us the major differences between 17 and 18.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »