Home

NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
I kinda feel 2k is straight lying to us about the first one honestly because that would be HUGE. So you are telling me that if I make my dude 350 pounds in 2k18 I'm going to get certain animations to go my way no matter what because of my size? So when a 180 pound guard runs into the paint I'm going to put him on his butt? That's what that sounds like to me. A lot of those stupid animations won't happen like 5' 6" PGs standing me up when I'm driving to the rim.
I imagine that would work both ways..Yes, a strong 350 pound guy would probably stand up smaller players that ran straight at him,as well as back down smaller players in the post easier (and probably dunk on smaller guys easier as well).

On the other hand, he would hardly be a speed demon so if smaller quicker players got him moving laterally it would be easier for them to either cut the back the other way and sneak by him or just straight run around him and leave him in the dust, assuming they time moves properly.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #50
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: New Game Informer article about gameplay (Hint of a new mode?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Everything we do to "improve" the game each year doesn't always have the intended effect. So we have to go back at it and try something new or upgrade the system. Each year technically most systems are better than they were before.

When I say technically I mean the system can do more than it could. Now that does not always translate into better overall game-play because there are so many factors involved.

So yes until we perfect an area of the game I would think you would want to see improvements each year even if it was improved last year.

These games are not as advanced as you guys may think. There is so much further we need to go but the work to make what some of you guys consider "simple" improvements takes a ton of time.

If you have paid attention we have upgraded the motion system a few times already this gen. Each time a technical improvement over the last. But even then there is still more to do still more ground to cover you have to keep at it. Sometimes an upgrade takes a few years before you can see the benefits.

Every year I can say our AI logic is improved because we add a lot of capabilities that were not there the year before.

Last gen people felt like we never upgrade our engines and just add animations. This gen has been a totally different experience in that regard. But it also means that if we go at something again to improve it you will hear similar marketing comments because we honestly believe the changes improve the system. Not that a system is now perfect and never needs to be touched.
GREAT POST CZAR

Sent from my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator,
Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #51
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K18 Hands-On Impressions - Revamped Player Motion, Ball Physics & MyDynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
As a MyLeague junkie, this new Coaching Scheme system was the biggest news I read. Having to actually consider your coaches scheme while drafting players and shopping in free agency is gonna be great, or vice versa looking for a head coach that will best take advantage of the personnel you have on your roster. MyLeague is about to be great.
Me too. Best thing i've read so far.

I'm curious what the schemes will be exactly? So far we know that there's 3: defense, triangle, perimeter centric. (Btw, what kind of coaching system is 'defense'? Seems a little vague. Does it not even consider offensive scheme?) Anyway, i hope there's heaps of variety! Hoping to see things like:
  • --transition (lots of leaking and transition D, less rebounding from 1-4 positions. Favours acquiring athletes with good floor game and stamina),
  • --grit 'n grind (post offense & rebounding, less leaking. Favours strong/big players and hustlers. Think Grizzlies),
  • --ball movement (extra passes and cutting and handoffs, less iso. Favors high IQ guys with hand skills),
  • --shot creators (more iso and postups, less handoffs and off-ball movement. Favors elite ball handlers, off-dribble shooters and inside scorers)
  • --pick&roll offense (lots of pick&rolls and spotting up, less post-ups. Favors ball handlers and faceup-fours),
  • --playmaking bigs (plays start from high post. Think Nuggets/Jokic)
  • --inside out (Favors surrounding one or two elite inside scorers/finishers with shooters. Tries to create gravitational pull inside that leaves shooters open. Think Stan Van Gundy)
  • --outside in (Favors shooters, having 4 players out, 1 in. pretty similar to the ball movement and pick&roll offense though i guess with slight variances)
  • --PG centric (have all offense run through 1 elite point guard. Think last season's Clippers)
  • --dual-PG offense (innovative offense that involves 2 equal primary playmakers. Think what the Suns had been trying to do)
  • --attack the basket (players that drive and kick, either kick out or attack basket, less off-ball screen action and postups)

Etc etc. Just splitballing now. Can't wait to dive into it.

Most of all i feel like the coaching systems should be tied in with freelance offenses

Last edited by Barncore; 08-07-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added one more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #52
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
Me too. Best thing i've read so far.

I'm curious what the schemes will be exactly? So far we know that there's 3: defense, triangle, perimeter centric. (Btw, what kind of coaching system is 'defense'? Seems a little vague. Does it not even consider offensive scheme?) Anyway, i hope there's heaps of variety! Hoping to see things like:

• --transition (lots of leaking and transition D, less rebounding from 1-4 positions. Favours acquiring athletes with good floor game and stamina),
  • --grit 'n grind (post offense & rebounding, less leaking. Favours strong/big players and hustlers. Think Grizzlies),
  • --ball movement (extra passes and cutting and handoffs, less iso. Favors high IQ guys with hand skills),
  • --shot creators (more iso and postups, less handoffs and off-ball movement. Favors elite ball handlers, off-dribble shooters and inside scorers)
  • --pick&roll offense (lots of pick&rolls and spotting up, less post-ups. Favors ball handlers and faceup-fours),
  • --playmaking bigs (plays start from high post. Think Nuggets/Jokic)
  • --inside out (Favors surrounding one or two elite inside scorers/finishers with shooters. Tries to create gravitational pull inside that leaves shooters open. Think Stan Van Gundy)
  • --outside in (Favors shooters, having 4 players out, 1 in. pretty similar to the ball movement and pick&roll offense though i guess with slight variances)
  • --PG centric (have all offense run through 1 elite point guard. Think last season's Clippers)
  • --dual-PG offense (innovative offense that involves 2 equal primary playmakers. Think what the Suns had been trying to do)

Etc etc. Just splitballing now. Can't wait to dive into it.

Most of all i feel like the coaching systems should be tied in with freelance offenses

I'd assume the defense scheme emphasizes ISO players who can score in the half court and defenders who can hit 3s.

So a player like Trevor Ariza would likely fit well in that scheme. I imagine star players will fit in a lot of schemes but have a beat fit scheme where their overall may rise 3-5 points. Like a Steph Curry. He's good in any offense ever but if he's in a run and gun offense he's crazy good.

I am also a big MyLeague guy so I wonder how much I will be able to really create my unique scheme. If I could create a scheme from scratch I'd center it around pick and roll and post play with emphasis on having passing bigs so ideally I'd like to pair a Kevin Love and a Demarcus Cousins together

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #53
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: New Game Informer article about gameplay (Hint of a new mode?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Your talking to the choir. I still do as much as I can on my channel but most of my free time is spent working on the game.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Da_Czar, thanks for posting here with us. We appreciate it!

I had a couple of concerns/questions that I'd appreciate you answering...

I'm an every-other-year buyer (longer on other sports games), because I like to get thru multiple seasons and starting over all the time isn't as fun.

- But in my 2K16 I hate how I can't skip the Halftime/Time Out cutscenes and heard others complaining about it on NBA 2K17. I have to hit the A button 20 or 30 times before I can skip a time-wasting Halftime/TO cutscene. I don't have a ton of time to play and it's stupid I waste 5 minutes a game on something that I don't care to see and adds nothing to the actual game.

Also,
- Can you again sort by a position when looking at Team Rosters? I think it was RB I used to be able to hit to switch to PGs or SGs when scrolling thru teams (on 360). Sometimes I just want to look for a new SF and it's a pain if you have to look at the whole team's roster.
- Last, you let us customize a lot of things which I LOVE, but I couldn't change some rules on NBA 2K16. On my 2K14, I could turn off defensive 3 seconds and 5 seconds back to the basket and stuff is this customizable again?

Thanks for any response!!! And if you can't skip cutscenes, please let the 2K team know that is really important to some and hopefully it can be added.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #54
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

I dont know how I should feel about the physics based player motion. On one side Im excited that they take this approach. On the other side, and if they overhauled it like they claim they have, I fear that it (because its the first iteration with this new approach) doesnt work out as good as everybody hopes, the game gets patched to death like 2k17 and we play a 2k19 beta...
Old 08-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #55
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Just had a thought. I wonder if every team is different in regards to how much influence the coaching system has in drafting players? Or if the coaching system affects drafting decisions the same amount for all teams? In the NBA, some teams go for assets/upside regardless of team fit (Houston, Denver), and some teams draft for team fit (Spurs, Utah, Portland).

Which teams do which intention? Well, a rebuilding team is probably more inclined to go for upside in general. A contending team is probably more interested in team fit. Teams in "buying" mode are probably somewhere in the middle. But it varies, irregardless of team state. Does it sorta more come down to the GM style? Some GM's swing for the fences, some don't.
Interesting food for thought anyway
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #56
Banned

NewBreed1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
All sounds pretty good, although I wish that holding the pass button down would affect the speed of the pass, rather than determining who you're actually passing to.
X100. Couldn't agree more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »