Home

Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

This is a discussion on Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

This is why 2K will never be a true simulation. When you have guys over here complaining about a basketball essentials like speed boosting (quick first step), Things start to look really stupid out there on the court. When you make a dribble move on a guy, drive to the basket, only to attempt what looks like light jogging past a defender (NBA 2k16 is a prime example), Thank the park guys for that BS.

If anything give the defense the tools to cut off the driving angles from time to time. The reality is most times you're not going to completely stop a good ball handler. The most you can hope for in most cases is a hip ride.

I get that this is just a game, But please please 2K! Don't nerf the first step. Up the defensive lateral speed if needed
Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Rookie

woody56's Arena

OVR: 3

I understand people not liking guys spamming moves nonstop for 20 secs and it seems like 2k is going to try and nerf that in '18, but you still need the speed boost (explosive dribble) to get past guys or its just not very realistic if top ball handlers cant burst past guys

Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
thats the part i HATE. everybody does the same moves, same shots, same dunk packages, same offensive strategy to exploit 2k hotspots"

this is my main gripe with the 2k community. nobody wants to play basketball. they want to play "lookatmydribblepackage", "watchmescoreallthepointsalone", "idontunderstanddefensiveangles"

main reason im making the switch this year. cancerous community lol

In all honesty that kinda falls back on 2k. You can't blame the players too much. There are no where near enough GOOD signature styles to have a true variety in park or pro am. You could say the same about jumpshots as well. Majority of the community used High School 1 or Base 9. That just comes with other Releases and bases not being effective enough or High School 1 or Base 9 being too effective. I think providing a better balance should be a major focus in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
Really don't understand the issues people are still having with speed boosting. In 16 the complaints were legit because players had unlimited Stamina. You can't abuse the boost for 24 seconds this year. Although the defense is a lil lackluster in 17' you can still easily stop people who hit Normal 5 or Elite 1 (two of the most popular rhythm dribbles). Everybody plays the exact same to me in Park/Stage so it's pretty predictable now. Seems like Stamina is gonna be even more of a factor in 2k18 so spamming and speed boosting will take a hit even more. I'm more so happy that brick wall has been nerfed. Bad players were hiding behind glass cleaners and brick wall a lot this year. SMH

I think it's not about "it's easy to stop it now" and tolerating the BS. Back in earlier online 2k: it seemed like only a couple guys did the cheese stuff and they looked dumb because back then the cheese had solid counters. Remember euro step cheese or hop step cheese? All you had to do was not jump on it and you were good.

As a defender who most likely already had a speed disadvantage how do a combat some loser who will literally try speed boost animations for 24 seconds of a shot clock until he either gets past you or gets a brick wall screen then steps back for a 3 because apparently shooting off of a screen makes you a sharpshooter.

Too many playmakers and point forwards are hitting Curry 3s off screens because of HOF pick and roll maestro

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Pro

nyk_fatboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody56
I understand people not liking guys spamming moves nonstop for 20 secs and it seems like 2k is going to try and nerf that in '18, but you still need the speed boost (explosive dribble) to get past guys or its just not very realistic if top ball handlers cant burst past guys

i get it but the way its done in 2k is completely unrealistic their should at least be a challenge to pull it off that takes some sort of skill or dumb it down to playstyle related.. all you have to do is make a player with 81 ball handling and weeeeeeeeee you go. At least have some animation where the player stumbles or loses the ball if your actually playing good defense. They said it was nerfed in 2k17 we saw how that turned out this year probably no different.

its decent in pro-am because of all the players on the court but in park its awful every year and the go to cheese tactic to winning games.

Last edited by nyk_fatboy; 08-08-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

I've played one or two guys that spammed that in MyTeam. I hate that crap. It's complete garbage and unrealistic.

All of them were cheesers and all of them had the same gameplan of running 5-out, calling an isolation and doing that crap.

And saying you can't explode past people in this game without doing that crap is straight up nonsense.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Rookie

People who spam monentum crossed and spins and hopsteps repeatedly in one spot=Cancer.

People who cry and b****, and moan about using one or two speed boosts per possession to blow by a defender =Cancer and most likely trash. Simple.

72% Team Pro Am| 77% Walk On|76% Park| A Teammate Grade| PS4 Name: JustCallMeSleepy. Pm me on here or add me on PS4 if you wanna run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

There's a difference between a fast first step (realistic acceleration) and people stopping and exploding after changing direction and dribbling side to side 10 times in one possession.

Quick bursts are realistic. But completely changing direction then speeding up when you should be slowing down/tired is unrealistic and cheesy.

Last edited by shayellis; 08-08-2017 at 04:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »