Home

VC in 2K - Pay to Play - The Real Issue

This is a discussion on VC in 2K - Pay to Play - The Real Issue within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #33
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: VC in 2K - Pay to Play - The Real Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzis
Honestly some of you are making it sound much worse than actually is.

It took me less than a month to make MyPlayer somewhat competitive (80ish) and less than 2 months for maxing him out (95 overall).

And I did it without purchasing any VC, just playing the game a couple of hours in the evening and using the 2k app.

It sounds totally reasonable to me.

I don't need to be 95 the very next week I buy the game.
And how much of your time was spent Playing online as opposed to offline while grinding?

Nobody said getting to a 95 should be easy. But isolating yourself for 3-4 weeks while you build somebody up sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

It all just comes back to them needing to separate the two modes. I mean, let's say a team wants to play together but doesn't want to spend VC. Isn't it ridiculous for them to say "alright see yall in a month for our first game", while they could be spending that time getting better together as a team? Instead of playing the boring *** computer for weeks and weeks?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
And how much of your time was spent Playing online as opposed to offline while grinding?

Nobody said getting to a 95 should be easy. But isolating yourself for 3-4 weeks while you build somebody up sounds pretty unreasonable to me.

It all just comes back to them needing to separate the two modes. I mean, let's say a team wants to play together but doesn't want to spend VC. Isn't it ridiculous for them to say "alright see yall in a month for our first game", while they could be spending that time getting better together as a team? Instead of playing the boring *** computer for weeks and weeks?
Actually I didn't isolate myself at all.

I looked for other players interested in pro am.
I found them, I created a team and we started playing pro am with our players in the 70s/80s as overall.

We had our 1st pro am game before the end of September and we kept playing unti June.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #35
Rookie

VC is fine by me...I don't care for it at all myself for how I play but I get why it's in the game. Just don't punish the players who want to play offline. Let MyCareer have an offline option with sliders available for those that want to tweak gameplay but don't care about farming VC is all I ask.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
MVP

ph33's Arena

Question Re: VC in 2K - Pay to Play - The Real Issue

Quote:
Actually I didn't isolate myself at all.

I looked for other players interested in pro am.
I found them, I created a team and we started playing pro am with our players in the 70s/80s as overall.

We had our 1st pro am game before the end of September and we kept playing unti June.
I'll admit it doesn't sound terrible what you did.

But I'll speak for myself too. I would hate it if I bought the game day 1 and waited until the end of the month to play my first game with my friends.

Or whenever I wanted a different play style and had to make a new player. Instead of park and Walk-on grinding I was busy playing the CPU.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #37
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBhoops
I'm not going to get on my high horse and brag about how I'm a big serious important grown up who doesn't have time for all of these childish grinding shenanigans.

Instead I'm going to make the same suggestions I've been making since Park/VC was introduced.

Option A)

Keep everything as is but separate the parks/servers based on your rank.

If you're <80 overall you go to a "bronze" park (or whatever you want to call it). Where you will play with all of the other players with an overall <80.

If you're an 81 through to 89 you play on the "silver" park.

If you're a 90 overall up to 99 then you play on the "gold" park.

Now I know what you're saying; "But Mr Hoops, I'm an important business man who also happens to be 'whipped' and I only get to play for 3 hours per week, I won't be able to play 2k with my single buddies who rank up much quicker than I do"

Fear not! For I have a solution; an "unranked" park where the lowly brown shirts can play alongside the peacocking mascots just like they do now.

Option B)

Separate your career player from your park player entirely. Go back to the 2k's pre-VC where you can have a 7ft black guy named Magnus Steele on one save file and a 5'8 white kid called Pierre Lacroix on another.

Keep VC in both (park as is) if people want to max their career guy at 99 then so be it. As for park, cap the VC purchasing/upgrading at about 88 but START everyone at around a 75ovr and allow people to obtain badges through stuff they do on park instead of career.
you sir, made me lol - literally! now i am one of those "whipped adults with a career" but you make some valid suggestions

PLEEEEEEAAASE once you do/if you get married let us know how much gaming you can get in during the week sir. lmao! you still gave me the laugh of the day though
Old 08-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweemwee
Sounds like a guy who doesn't play MyTeam or MyCareer wrote this.

To get to a 90 OVR you need to almost a whole season. Being that you need to play 12 min quarters to get the most VC and most people have a life outside of video games that is at minimum a 3 month grind. And I'm being very generous saying that for the sake of your argument. It's probably more like 6 months.

In MyTeam pack odds are terrible. You don't NEED VC for MyTeam but it makes it a damn lot easier. You pretty much can't compete above Ruby League without at least having bought SOME VC throughout the year. People talk about snipes and challenge rewards etc but realistically how many people get snipes? Since 2K15 I've got 1 snipe of any sort of deceny. And I don't have the time to sit there refreshing every 15 mins all day. The fact is that to compete with the people that DO buy VC (and there will always be people like that, just like there's always douchebags in clubs buying 1000 worth of champagne and people dropping grands on diamond packages from hay day etc) you have to have good players. Skill only gets you so far in this mode. Your ego wants you to believe that you with an 80 OVR squad can best a 13 year old noob who has a 99 OVR team with all badges but realistically you will get beaten at least 7/10 because the mode doesn't reward skill at all.

I probably spend about £100 on VC throughout the year. Not for MyCareer, usually for MyTeam. The fact is that us older lot (25+) don't have the free time to sit around grinding just to be able to compete with snotty nosed kids who have full access to daddy's bank account, we need a shortcut.

I hate the concept of VC but it's a reality. Of course 2K could change their game, remove badges and 17000 card tiers and all this crap and reward great play but they are a business at the end of the day and they're not ever going to throw away a money making scheme.

People who don't evolve to accept VC for what it is will ultimately end up moving on to other games. But us guy's who love simulation basketball (barely, but as there's no viable rival this is all we have) just have to accept that this is way things are now and deal with it.
You're much better off playing 6 min quarters. It's not like you'll end up with double the vc for playing 12 mins, you might get for example 1200 instead of a 1000vc. Not really worth it imo. On top of that, now you have a half hour game instead of an hour and you'll get faster to the off days for upgrades and extra endorsement vc. As far as i can tell teammate grade is the biggest factor in how much vc you get and 6 mins should be plenty to get the A+. Of course there's one downside to shorter quarters, it'll be pretty much impossible to get certain HOF badges.

As far as myteam, it's awful. I barely played it this year. Same old problem (super duper over the top rosters with overrated players that have no basis in reality) and it gets worse every year. For me this could have an easy fix, something i've put in the wishlist threads for however long i've been here: a realistically restricted mode and/or roster based matchmaking that actually works. To be clear, i don't have a problem at all with unrealistic cards. However, they still need to have weaknesses. For example: in 2k15 you had a jared cunninham card that was complete fantasy, 6'9 and one of the best dunkers in the game (he's 6'4 irl) BUT he couldn't shoot and had poor defensive ratings. I don't mind that, i actually enjoy(ed) it quite a lot. What i hate is the 2k16 and 17 cards that can do EVERYTHING. Now, it's just a bunch of superstars who have maybe one weakness irl and 2k just goes ahead and eliminates this weakness. I hate it.

I get it though. Myteam is the biggest cashcow and a lot of people seem to prefer putting 10 95+ players together instead of carefully balancing their teams strengths and weaknesses using stars as well as roleplayers. Of course these people consider 90+ cards role players though, so... To each their own i guess. I personally can't take it anymore and the badges make it even worse.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
you sir, made me lol - literally! now i am one of those "whipped adults with a career" but you make some valid suggestions

PLEEEEEEAAASE once you do/if you get married let us know how much gaming you can get in during the week sir. lmao! you still gave me the laugh of the day though
I jest. Not in a serious relationship myself but I do work about 56-60 hours per week and write for a couple of basketball sites/blogs on the side so I also struggle with 2Ks "grind" at times.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #40
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Honestly some of you are making it sound much worse than actually is.

It took me less than a month to make MyPlayer somewhat competitive (80ish) and less than 2 months for maxing him out (95 overall).

And I did it without purchasing any VC, just playing the game a couple of hours in the evening and using the 2k app.

It sounds totally reasonable to me.

I don't need to be 95 the very next week I buy the game.
I get to play a couple hours a week if I'm lucky. And that is spread across all games, not just 2k. So while it only took you a month to get into the 80s, it took me almost six with my limited time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »