Home

To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

This is a discussion on To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

I've honestly thought that if you kept the system itself but eliminated the actual green bar it would be fine. People would learn to accept it from what it is. Like there would still be "greens" you just wouldn't get the feedback that it was a "green" if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 02:33 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
I miss the days when I shot the ball and didn't know when it would go in or not. When I'd shoot a game-winner with my controller but unconsciously try to help it with Body English. Developers need to recognize that guesswork is good, giving away too much information is often counter-productive, kills strategy and often takes away the excitement of the unknown. Its why online shooters at the highest level don't have kill-feeds, mini-maps and kill-cams. They provide a cheesy omniscient overall view that you'd never be provided on a real battlefield....they know gamers can appreciate being in the dark on certain aspects of the experience.

NBA 2K would do well to follow their example."
A man after my own heart. Not only do I agree on how 100% greens kill suspense in 2K, I also have an issue with most of the mainstream shooters giving too much unrealistic feedback with kill feeds and hit marker crosshairs. I miss the days when you had to confirm your kills in military/tactical shooters by actually watching for the death animations, and not knowing exactly if you hit someone at range was part of the suspense.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
A man after my own heart. Not only do I agree on how 100% greens kill suspense in 2K, I also have an issue with most of the mainstream shooters giving too much unrealistic feedback with kill feeds and hit marker crosshairs. I miss the days when you had to confirm your kills in military/tactical shooters by actually watching for the death animations, and not knowing exactly if you hit someone at range was part of the suspense.
My one issue with green releases is this: it's an unfair advantage in team games. A guy can yell out "green" when a ball is still in the air and teammates know to run back because going for the rebound is pointless. I hate everyone on one team knowing that a 3 is 100% going to go in. Totally kills the realism.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat
My one issue with green releases is this: it's an unfair advantage in team games. A guy can yell out "green" when a ball is still in the air and teammates know to run back because going for the rebound is pointless. I hate everyone on one team knowing that a 3 is 100% going to go in. Totally kills the realism.
Yes that too and i've said it millions of times here on different threads;

The unknown is fun and leads to many different scenarios bcs it's unknown, under the hood do whatever the calculations you make we already have feedback; but the meter is the most unrealistic portion of the game whether green/blue or else...

The impact of the meter and the philosophy of the green, the idea of being obsessed to green has killed a lot of basketball in 2k bcs the concept has changed the way users look at things in the game. It's a new perception and way off and away from basketball realism.

At least 85% of the players playing 2k are obsessed with the meter, with the green, they don't play the game, they don't look at how different each of their players release how they want to build the shot what goes before the shot, they don't even look anything else other the F. meter below the foot, it's horrible. I don't use meter never used, never will (feedback is good enough) but other users i play with weren't like that before the meter, before the meter us, other users would try to look at the release and then to the rim and that's the right/normal natural way of looking realistic game of basketball, when you watch NBA you look at the shot and then to the rim whether in or not so why can't we go back to this normal real life experience, the meter, the concept has really killed the realism. That's why i think the meter has to go for good.

I would like to feel the realistic/natural way of excitement if anyone's shot in, as i told you i'm not using meter i'm telling this for the ones that use and obsessed with. The meter is BAD. It does take a lot of good in the game and makes it look and feel bad about their game. The fun part is about knowing you tried your best and hope for the best and after everything has played out you can have a shot feedback telling you this and that but after everything has played out naturally.

Last edited by ataman5; 08-14-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
Yes that too and i've said it millions of times here on different threads;

The unknown is fun and leads to many different scenarios bcs it's unknown, under the hood do whatever the calculations you make we already have feedback; but the meter is the most unrealistic portion of the game whether green/blue or else...

The impact of the meter and the philosophy of the green, the idea of being obsessed to green has killed a lot of basketball in 2k bcs the concept has changed the way users look at things in the game. It's a new perception and way off and away from basketball realism.

At least 85% of the players playing 2k are obsessed with the meter, with the green, they don't play the game, they don't look at how different each of their players release how they want to build the shot what goes before the shot, they don't even look anything else other the F. meter below the foot, it's horrible. I don't use meter never used, never will (feedback is good enough) but other users i play with weren't like that before the meter, before the meter us, other users would try to look at the release and then to the rim and that's the right/normal natural way of looking realistic game of basketball, when you watch NBA you look at the shot and then to the rim whether in or not so why can't we go back to this normal real life experience, the meter, the concept has really killed the realism. That's why i think the meter has to go for good.
I would like to feel the realistic/natural way of excitement if anyone's shot in, as i told you i'm not using meter i'm telling this for the ones that use and obsessed with. The meter is BAD. It does take a lot of good in the game and makes it look and feel bad about their game. The fun part is about knowing you tried your best and hope for the best and after everything has played out you can have a shot feedback telling you this and that but after everything has played out naturally.

PS: Sorry i was trying to edit my post but didn't realize i pressed on quote. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by ataman5; 08-14-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #30
Pro

Not only should greens go away but the shot meter as well. The only point of the meter is to make the game easier.
Learn your release not some fake meter that makes learning to shoot easy.

It's not shooting, it's watching the little bar swing up and timing it right. It's way easier to time a bar than to time a full shooting motion!

If they want skills to matter, why add a meter to make skills easier?

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by awg811; 08-14-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #31
Banned

I don't think you should be hitting 30-35% on threes with a 65 rating under any circumstances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #32
MVP

ph33's Arena

Don't like the meter, hate green releases. People often focus more on the timing of the shot rather than the quality.

And sometimes you just have a cold game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »