Home

To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

This is a discussion on To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #41
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

1. If a person with perfect timing can consistently get a perfect release, then how "hard" it is to get green is irrelevant and the ratings become placebo?

2. Will green releases still make slightly of green shots, with high rated shooters, a low percentage shot on the higher levels?

3. How do greens affect the cpu shooting percentages? I would assume the cpu can consistently get perfect releases.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #42
Rookie

TalentedJB's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
sounds like an easy fix for Mike! Can easily be done with a tuning update before the game is even released.

But if you want to play sim ball hit me up!
That's the thing, it's either 2K isn't aware of the exploits/glitches, they are aware and simply want the game to function in that manner or they simply don't care. I think it's a combination of being in the dark and allowing certain game mechanics and exploits to remain.

NCAA FB: Rutgers
NCAA BB: UCONN
NBA: Knicks
NFL: GIANTS.
MLB: Mets
Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #43
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

All I want is real fg/ft% to be an option

It would get me to play randoms

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #44
Rookie

TalentedJB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
sounds like an easy fix for Mike! Can easily be done with a tuning update before the game is even released.

But if you want to play sim ball hit me up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Same here. I've always felt sorry for you guys because I could only imagine how bad it was in there. IMO the one saving grace is you guys will be on the big stage this year--bad gameplay will be thoroughly exposed--I hope it will be enough...
Nope, didn't matter this year, Prior to the $250,000 tourney, LD2K & Ronnie knew GC could hit 3's consistently. LD2K & Scott O'Gallager even talked about in a pre-game scouting report, talking, "you can't leave that Glass Cleaner open from 3, he has range and can hit it" (i'm paraphrasing but it went something like that) Smh.

Here's the link: it's somewhere in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3AVB7EBs4&t=2941s

Again, they're aware they simply don't want to change it as in they have a history of catering to casuals and holding their hands throughout gaming cycles.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #45
Rookie

TalentedJB's Arena

Again, I think those of us who are calling for realism; for a sim b ball game to mimic and emulate what we see in the NBA are in for a battle against those casuals (Park Players, segment of the Pro-Am community) who want cheeses, exploits, and guaranteed greens to remain. I think we're all going to have to compromise.

Either remove them completely from the game (though from the looks of it, in 18 they're back), reduce their frequency, (maybe make it to you can only get greens if you're on fire, in a hot spot, and take a great shot?), and or simply give us the ability to toggle it on or off for our leagues and/or offline modes.

Online modes are going to be the hardest to manage however.

For example in Pro-AM, where people run games for championships, money, wagers, where E-League scouts are actively watching streams and games...it's going to be tough to remove entirely. A lot of players are dependent on greens...

BUT also, with the implementation of the E-League and 2K wanting to make their game a watchable and fun E-Sports...I think greens fall right in line with that concept.

Viewers would definitely love to see someone work towards a great shot and call out "GREEN" to their opponent! Or to even see it manifest on screen. In competitive games, as much as it takes away from the realism and unknown factor of having to watch (and sometimes pray lol) for a shot go in, it also adds to the fun factor and viewability of a stream/E-Sport. Something akin to a score-streak in COD, or ultimate in Overwatch.

From a marketing perspective, I think 2K will lean to keeping greens for competitive game modes...again, all we can do is ask for balance.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 0

I think green releases should be harder to get, and only available when open. I've been playing basketball for 20 plus years on all levels except pro. I've developed pretty good shot, consistently able to hit 70+ out of 100 catch & shoot/off the dribble shots (I promise you all that i'm not saying any of this to brag, but to give an example).

You develop muscle memory over time, but it isn't perfect, and you can't always pin point what you did wrong to make you miss a shot. That window is ridiculously small for a human to notice. You'll have an idea and feel for how the ball comes off your hand, but you'll never know until you hit or miss.
That is the reality of shooting. rhythm and feel are keys to consistent shooting, That's why coaches make you do shooting drills similar to what Curry did in that ball is life video

In this video you can see curry is use to this drill and is able to establish a good rhythm Which is why he was able to shoot so consistently. Curry knows his release, he's been shooting that way for many many years. But notice he didn't hit 100% of his shots. That's because the margin for perfect shooting is so small that you'll never be able to notice it.

That's the problem I have with green releases. They are able to be gotten much to frequently. on top of that you know when you've gotten one, And that absolutely should not be the case.

Nick young thought he got a green release here lol!

Last edited by Dione2014; 08-14-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

OVR: 0

I think green release should remain but reworked. The impact a perfect release has on shot percentage should work on a sliding scale based on difficulty. On the lower difficulties like rookie and pro a green release should give you a boost similar to what it is now. As you raise the difficulty, however, the boost you receive should drop until you reach HOF or Superstar where you don't get a boost at all. A perfect release simply means you don't take a hit to your shot percentage. This would bolster the competitive aspect for modes like ProAm.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #48
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
I think green releases should be harder to get, and only available when open. I've been playing basketball for 20 plus years on all levels except pro. I've developed pretty good shot, consistently able to hit 70+ out of 100 catch & shoot/off the dribble shots (I promise you all that i'm not saying any of this to brag, but to give an example).
Where did you play in college?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »