Home

To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

This is a discussion on To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #49
Rookie

thechef128's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Green Releases are one of the worst mechanics i've ever seen in gaming. I vote NO. Here's what I wrote months ago:

"2K Gameplay Director Beluba was nice enough to spend time on OS before release (2K17) and was really generous with his time answering questions. He expressed regret with "green releases" and I can say I definitely agree, the expectation they've created is odd and I hope he does away with the mechanic altogether (and offers the "apex release" option for veterans of 2K comfortable with that play-style) Filling the bar means you got a good release, not that you're going to hit the shot, we've always known and accepted this.

The other issue is that its spawned strategy that focuses on the release over the Defender, Situation and Offensive Player skill-set. All of that is irrelevant as long as the meter is full and is rendered moot the instant users see green. This is a bad thing, ratings have to matter...success should be equal parts user release and player ability. Part of being "good at the game" is knowing enough to put JJ Redick in position for a last second 20 footer instead of Blake Griffin. Case in point: This guy who takes horrible shots all game, but is rewarded because he has good shot-stick timing.

I miss the days when I shot the ball and didn't know when it would go in or not. When I'd shoot a game-winner with my controller but unconsciously try to help it with Body English. Developers need to recognize that guesswork is good, giving away too much information is often counter-productive, kills strategy and often takes away the excitement of the unknown. Its why online shooters at the highest level don't have kill-feeds, mini-maps and kill-cams. They provide a cheesy omniscient overall view that you'd never be provided on a real battlefield....they know gamers can appreciate being in the dark on certain aspects of the experience.

NBA 2K would do well to follow their example."
Beautifully put. I agree 100%. And i think 2k prides itself on realism, having a "shot meter" on screen while shooting isnt real. like you said, I miss the day of just knowing a guys release, not looking at a meter while shooting.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #50
Rookie

thechef128's Arena

Re: To Green Or Not To Green? That Is the Question: On General Shooting & Balancing

I feel the only time there should ever be a shot meter is in practice mode, when youre trying to learn someones shot. But having it in an actual game is childish. I dont mean to take shots at anyone cuz im sure 99% of you are better than me on 2k but I truly feel like I've been in the twilight zone the past 3 years with how ok everyone has been with the shot meter. Again, its childish and if you feel like youre nice on the sticks, you wouldnt want it on.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #51
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
I think green release should remain but reworked. The impact a perfect release has on shot percentage should work on a sliding scale based on difficulty. On the lower difficulties like rookie and pro a green release should give you a boost similar to what it is now. As you raise the difficulty, however, the boost you receive should drop until you reach HOF or Superstar where you don't get a boost at all. A perfect release simply means you don't take a hit to your shot percentage. This would bolster the competitive aspect for modes like ProAm.
THIS! Exactly What I am thinking!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »