Home

(DmanUnt2014) NBA 2K18 Hands On Impressions: Concerns With NBA 2K18 - Final Thoughts!

This is a discussion on (DmanUnt2014) NBA 2K18 Hands On Impressions: Concerns With NBA 2K18 - Final Thoughts! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
(DmanUnt2014) NBA 2K18 Hands On Impressions: Concerns With NBA 2K18 - Final Thoughts!

.................................................. .......................

- Reminiscent about patches messing up 2k17. Felt 2k17 out of the box were great with the exception of ankle breakers and moving screen.
- Hoping patches doesn't fiddle too much with 2k18.
- Checked off a lot of boxes on his wishlist while playing 2k18
- Shot off dribble in 2k18 going up at a very high rate (probably to balance this out in shot creators in 2k17 not making them). "Pulling up with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, going in like crazy, but they were still Steph and Klay"
- Mi8ke Wang asked if green should be allowed on highly contested shots? DManunt2014 voted no, but doesn't care if the shot goes in, but doesn't want them to "greened" it.
- Gather move, teleportation glitch in 2k17, Chris Paul wasn't as quick as with the teleportation move in 2k18 but it was still OD (what is OD???). Discussed with 2k and "we got it out of the game."

- A few things he is unsure about with 2k18 / opinion /
(A) 50/50 blocking foul/out of bound calls when someone is baseline walking, he feels like if someone is tight roping that baseline, he feels that they should go out of bounds. Personally, he feels if someone is doing this, they should be punished for it.
(B) Load up shots - he feels like load up shots should be toned down, but shouldn't necessarily be taken out of the game. Load up wasn't a problem when 2k17 first came out. Load ups should be in 2k18, but shouldn't be as dominant. He spoke to Mike Wang about it. "If I'm open for the catch and shoot, it should just be that."
(C) One thing he is really concerned about is he hopes the game isn't watered down. 2k17 was day one legit, but then it ended up as being one of the easiest 2k to score on ... period. 2k17 is pretty easy to play, but when it comes to PRO-AM I want a bit of difficulty so it separates people, but how do you do this? Most people in the community don't want to adjust to the new 2k, and 2k ends up adjusting to the community.

That's pretty much it. He just hopes that there isn't too much of a drastic from once the game releases. 2k18 is looking good. If there are changes, hoping it isn't too drastic. The build he played was pretty old though.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: (DmanUnt2014) NBA 2K18 Hands On Impressions: Concerns With NBA 2K18 - Final Thoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
.................................................. .......................

- Reminiscent about patches messing up 2k17. Felt 2k17 out of the box were great with the exception of ankle breakers and moving screen.
- Checked off a lot of boxes on his wishlist while playing 2k18
- Shot off dribble in 2k18 going up at a very high rate (probably to balance this out in shot creators in 2k17 not making them). "Pulling up with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, going in like crazy, but they were still Steph and Klay"
- Mi8ke Wang asked if green should be allowed on highly contested shots? DManunt2014 voted no, but doesn't care if the shot goes in, but doesn't want them to "greened" it.
- Gather move, teleportation glitch in 2k17, Chris Paul wasn't as quick as with the teleportation move in 2k18 but it was still OD (what is OD???). Discussed with 2k and "we got it out of the game."

- A few things he is unsure about with 2k18 / opinion /
(A) 50/50 blocking foul/out of bound calls when someone is baseline walking, he feels like if someone is tight roping that baseline, he feels that they should go out of bounds. Personally, he feels if someone is doing this, they should be punished for it.
(B) Load up shots - he feels like load up shots should be toned down, but shouldn't necessarily be taken out of the game. Load up wasn't a problem when 2k17 first came out. Load ups should be in 2k18, but shouldn't be as dominant. He spoke to Mike Wang about it. "If I'm open for the catch and shoot, it should just be that."
(C) One thing he is really concerned about is he hopes the game isn't watered down. 2k17 was day one legit, but then it ended up as being one of the easiest 2k to score on ... period. 2k17 is pretty easy to play, but when it comes to PRO-AM I want a bit of difficulty so it separates people, but how do you do this? Most people in the community don't want to adjust to the new 2k, and 2k ends up adjusting to the community.

That's pretty much it. He just hopes that there isn't too much of a drastic from once the game releases. 2k18 is looking good. If there are changes, hoping it isn't too drastic. The build he played was pretty old though.

OD means overdoing it or overdone . Basically it's still a problem . Or he could've said OP = Overpowered .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: (DmanUnt2014) NBA 2K18 Hands On Impressions: Concerns With NBA 2K18 - Final Thoug

Here is what I don't get, every shooter is not created equally.

• Klay Thompson is not a great shoot off the dribble shooter from 3. He is good from mid range off the dribble but not from three. He likes to attack very quickly with one or two dribbles and pull up.
  • Mike please don't allow greens on highly contested shots. Just let it get maxed out at some percentage of what the contested shot ratings says the player is capable of. Don't underestimate the simplicity of timing a shot for myplayer park pro am etc quick play. I don't know about everyone else but I want to be rewarded within reason. I don't think the shooter should automatically "win" the shot mechanic just because they timed the shot correctly when I played tight defense or vice versa. It kills all suspense of the game online or offline I guess you can turn it off but still.
  • I would rather something like the game looks at the ability to contest for the player with wingspan height and contest ratings and combines that with the actual contested shot ratings of the shooter.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
If they'd patch online and offline separately this wouldn't happen.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm still confused on what he means by "load ups" when he's referring to shooting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Klay Thompson is not a great shoot off the dribble shooter from 3. He is good from mid range off the dribble but not from three. He likes to attack very quickly with one or two dribbles and pull up.
In 2K, any movement going into a shot registers the off dribble rating, correct? Considering the frequency at which he makes 3's off a quick cut and catch, shouldn't his off dribble rating reflect that? Cause otherwise he won't make any shots in which he was moving just before the shot attempt, right? Or does coming off a screen or cut with a quick jump shot register the open/contested ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by GoDucks1224; 08-14-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Rookie

ocho cuatro's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
If they'd patch online and offline separately this wouldn't happen.
That would help a lot of people.

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to play MyLeague without connecting to the internet? I stopped playing 2K16 because I was so sick of the constant stealth updates ruining my games, and I hear that 2K17 was even worse.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #8
Rookie

ifeanyi18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
He attempted 199 pull up jump shots last season. 100 of them were from 3. He shot 64.8% on pull up jumpers, 68% from 3. In 2K, any movement going into a shot registers the off dribble rating, correct? Considering the frequency at which he makes 3's off a quick cut and catch, shouldn't his off dribble rating reflect that? Cause otherwise he won't make any shots in which he was moving just before the shot attempt, right? Or does coming off a screen or cut with a quick jump shot register the open/contested ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Not exactly sure where you got that data from, but actually happened to be looking at pull-up data earlier today. He shot 37.8% on pull-ups overall and 28.9% on pull-up threes.

source: http://stats.nba.com/players/pullup/..._UP_FG3A&dir=1

lol percentages in the 65-68 range would be unreal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »