Home

2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

This is a discussion on 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #65
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'd love to have him on board but I actually think the obsession over his and Charles Barkley's absence is a testament to how well 2K nailed things back in 2K12. There's definitely some Reggie and Chuck fans out there who are dying to be able to play as their favorite players but generally speaking, I think their absence has been such a big deal because they're just about the only modern superstars missing. We yearn for Reggie because we don't have to yearn for, say, Patrick Ewing. We yearn for Charles Barkley because we don't have to yearn for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I say this lightheartedly but if Chuck and Reggie came on board, sometimes I feel like we'd be happy for a week then come back here to start the petition to acquire the rights to Bernard King and, I dunno, Rod Strickland or something.
For me it's not so much the players in Barkley & Miller. Both teams were solid. Finals teams... The sonics had some great playoff battles with the Jazz, Rockets,, Suns & the same go's with the great rivalries between the Heat, Knicks, Pacers, & Bulls in the 90's...

As is and has been is we had no Pacers or Suns representation for classic teams outside created players.

I'd love to set up a playoff bracket that looked like this... (might have some of my years off)

Western Conference

1) 87 Lakers
8) 91 Warriors

5) 00 or 91 Blazers
4) 02 Spurs

3) 93 Suns
6) 96 Sonics

7) 97 Jazz
2) 94 Rockets

Eastern Conference

1) 96 Bulls
8) 97 Heat

5) 99 Knicks
4) 99 Pacers

3) 89 Pistons
6) 83 76ers

7) 85 Hawks
2) 86 Celtics
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHEGAWD
Yeah massively overrated player but him and those Pacers team define the lore of the 90's and make for some match ups against the teams already in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Am I the only person who could care a less if Reggie Miller of all players makes a 2k classic team? It's seems every year he's the main name that pops up. So many better players than him throughout league history that could be featured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't ever see anyone overrating him as a player. You can't really overrate him as a shooter -- however, he's a beloved player because of his clutch abilities, on court antics and rivalries. Guys are thirsting for much lesser players than Reggie. Lol you can't really overrate 25,279 points in the NBA....

....Outside of Reggie and of course the C-Webbs, Chuck and Grant requests you'll be hard pressed to come up with better players that are also more iconic/popular than him that aren't included. I'd be interested in seeing that list of better players that could be featured that people actually want. It's not like the want to play as him is unwarranted.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'd love to have him on board but I actually think the obsession over his and Charles Barkley's absence is a testament to how well 2K nailed things back in 2K12. There's definitely some Reggie and Chuck fans out there who are dying to be able to play as their favorite players but generally speaking, I think their absence has been such a big deal because they're just about the only modern superstars missing. We yearn for Reggie because we don't have to yearn for, say, Patrick Ewing. We yearn for Charles Barkley because we don't have to yearn for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I say this lightheartedly but if Chuck and Reggie came on board, sometimes I feel like we'd be happy for a week then come back here to start the petition to acquire the rights to Bernard King and, I dunno, Rod Strickland or something.
I can't really agree with this. This makes it seem more like they are novelty players when really they are two of the greatest players in the history of the NBA and Hall of famers. People want them for that reason.

It's not say, a season specific version of a legend -- e.g. Wizards MJ. Yeah we'd forget about that. Because we have a better version of him, the version that fueled his lore. People want to play as that suns team WITH Charles. That Pacers team WITH Reggie. They want them to be entities in their MyLeague seasons, etc....

It's sorta ridiculous to think people want them because their aren't bigger superstars to want and not because people actually want to play as them.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by World1
I can't really agree with this. This makes it seem more like they are novelty players when really they are two of the greatest players in the history of the NBA and Hall of famers. People want them for that reason.

It's not say, a season specific version of a legend -- e.g. Wizards MJ. Yeah we'd forget about that. Because we have a better version of him, the version that fueled his lore. People want to play as that suns team WITH Charles. That Pacers team WITH Reggie. They want them to be entities in their MyLeague seasons, etc....

It's sorta ridiculous to think people want them because their aren't bigger superstars to want and not because people actually want to play as them.
Perhaps my point was muddled. I, too, would like have Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, Chris Webber and each of their corresponding classic teams accounted for. I'd love for my 2004 Pistons to have a 2004 Pacers counterpart (and the Bulls and Knicks another 90's counterpart). I'd love to finally have those sunburst jerseys used properly on an authentic '93 America West Arena and the return of a Chris Webber Kings team and maybe a Bullets squad would be super peachy for a Michigan guy like myself.

I'm just saying the absence of Reggie and Charles has kind of taken on a life of its own. Again, I get that those guys and their teams are yearned for. I'm there with you guys. But we've just about reached a point where I'm not entirely sure people are joking when they hint that their absence might be a game-breaker for them, as if we don't have at least 70 of the top 100 players of all-time already included in the game.

Perhaps I'm saying that I'm not sure any additions could fully satiate our desires for classic teams. Our attention would just move to whatever's next on the missing list. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-16-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #69
MVP

OVR: 3

Why do I want Barkley in the game? Because this is what he looked like last time I used him for a season. That's him throwing it down.

I've played a couple seasons with classic teams. They haven't been roster accurate and they've represented different years but I've had a lot of fun recreating the 90's. Having Miller and Barkley would really be cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #70
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
NBA 2K18 is adding 16 more classic teams this year. Today, they revealed the '96-'97 Miami Heat and '98-'99 New York Knicks. Which teams are you hoping make the list this year?

Click here to view the article.
NBA JAM : TONIGHT'S MATCHUP.....HEAT VS KNICKS!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #71
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

Man I cant wait to run with that Heat team and play on that court. Hopefully their defense is top notch like they were in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 9

98-99 Knicks is a tremendous and fun and talented team that i followed incredibly, i love them in! Great news 2K!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »