Home

Meet the man behind the NBA 2K18 ratings...

This is a discussion on Meet the man behind the NBA 2K18 ratings... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
2K Sports Community Manager

LD2k's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Meet the man behind the NBA 2K18 ratings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I have used his old roster files a couple of times, the guy knows his stuff. The thing is, I think he went from an appreciated roster-creator here, to being the guy who creates "Come on, that ain't right" rosters professionally.

Not his fault, you just can't win here.
We raise a glass to thankless jobs!

Stauff does a great job here. We're happy to have him.

Master of Operation Sports .gifs

Old 08-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohdini1
So this is the man that disrespected Rose with a 78 this year
I've noticed the overwhelming majority of people who say this have the Bulls logo as their OS avatar.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.....
Old 08-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
Rookie

Poohdini1's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I've noticed the overwhelming majority of people who say this have the Bulls logo as their OS avatar.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.....
Crazy cause he's a Cav now so I don't have any type of bias.

Nah fr he's one of my fav players of all time. I'm not advocating for something ridiculous, but 78 for a guy who put up 18-4 on 47% when rookies are getting 80's is pretty wild.

He finished last year as an 83 so not sure why they felt the need to dock him 5.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohdini1
Crazy cause he's a Cav now so I don't have any type of bias.

Nah fr he's one of my fav players of all time. I'm not advocating for something ridiculous, but 78 for a guy who put up 18-4 on 47% when rookies are getting 80's is pretty wild.

He finished last year as an 83 so not sure why they felt the need to dock him 5.
Look at his Advanced Stats and you have the answer.
Simply put, Derrick Rose is not underrated this year, he was extremely overrated last year.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro24
Look at his Advanced Stats and you have the answer.
Simply put, Derrick Rose is not underrated this year, he was extremely overrated last year.
One of the worst defensive point guards in the league, and his EFG is not impressive at all. 78 is very fair

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #22
Banned

I question if these ratings guys actually watch games

Some of the speed and strength ratings make absolutely no sense at all
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #23
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taper Fade God
I question if these ratings guys actually watch games

Some of the speed and strength ratings make absolutely no sense at all
Like Hassan Whiteside only having a 70 strength lol? Should probably be around an 88-92 imo
Old 08-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 8

first off, his rosters were fantastic. His was the first time I went off the default rosters back in 2012. He upped my enjoyment and the depth of my franchise immensely.

Second, for those complaining about overall (and Rose in particular) it is important to note that overall is not everything. Everyone gets hung up on overall, which 2k plays into with their "slow reveals" of everyone's overall ratings. NBA guys complain or boast about their overall.. It is ABSOLUTELY counterproductive to the game in every way. Because of this emphasis on overall, 2k must inflate overall to make contracts, rotations, free agency, trades, etc. work properly. Until 2k can come up with a system that better evaluates specific skills such as rim protection, floor spacing through shooting from distance, defense and other skills that aren't always tied to physical attributes, overalls will be inflated.

This is inflation results in true superstars not being appreciably better than the Kyle Korvers of the world in a 2k game. Because attributes are increased beyond where they should be, you get players staying in front of guys like LeBron, Kyrie, Chris Paul (and Rose) that should not be able to do so. This over inflation also results in too much parity where rarely do teams win less than 30 or more than 60. Almost all teams bunch around 40-52 wins because the ratings for players are simply too close together. This is all because overall is tied to so much else in the game. 2k seemingly doesn't have a method to get proper contracts for a 3 and D guy or a rim protector without over-inflating other attributes to push up that overall rating.

In addition, I'd suggest that overalls are over-inflated due to the sensitive nature of NBA players, who 2k wants to stay on their good side with each year. Remember these guys are giving 2k motion capture, pictures, in many
cases promotion through twitter and instagram, and even hop on 2ktv for segments. Not sure Larry Nance Jr. is quite as likely to join Rachel on 2ktv if he's rated a 55 overall to better reflect his skill set going into 2016-2017.

so all that said, I'm quite sure Michael has pressure from above on his ratings to make sure they reach certain overall numbers rather than just being able to hand in a set of attributes and say "Kyle Korver is a 55 because outside of a couple very specific skills, which are valuable mind you, his physical attributes are low and his inside skills are low." I just don't see that flying with his bosses at 2k

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »