Home

Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video

This is a discussion on Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video

Smh didn't 2k say the game was no longer animation based?

But that video is exactly the type of animation I hate the most.

Being put in a posterizer dunk animation and having to sit and let the animation play thru vs being able to jump or foul or something to stop the bucket.

Clearly that's 1 of the same "you're about to get dunked on" locked in animations from last year.

It never ends. Sigh.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #34
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanning2
The game is likely on rookie to get shots for the trailer
The difficult has nothing to do with locked in animations that they said were not going to happen this year.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #35
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
I don't think that was motion shifting on purpose, it was a bad looking collision with Parish because he was trying to get back after the dunk.

Regarding the dunk, you do know Shaq has dunked on lots of people in his prime so sometimes its best to not over analyze highlight clips.

Dunk ons will happen just like blocks will happen. I never seen anyone straight up block Shaq on a dunk attempt in his prime. He was too strong going up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I definitely understand the situation you're talking about straw, I just dont think this was a good example to trigger that concern....Parrish's positioning looked appropiate...
Here's two images below. We'll have to wait and see once 2k18 drops. I simply wished Parrish was standing in the restricted half circle area. That allows him to defend the hoop better. Whereas standing directly underneath the basket lessens your chance; Shaq has an easy time getting to the rim.

The following may not look like much, the blue circle is where it looks like Parrish was positioned (based on his position with respect to the rim). The red circle is where I would have liked to have seen Parrish positioned.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct

Being put in a posterizer dunk animation and having to sit and let the animation play thru vs being able to jump or foul or something to stop the bucket.

Clearly that's 1 of the same "you're about to get dunked on" locked in animations from last year.

It never ends. Sigh.
(A) What would your solution be? Because if I'm standing there getting posterized by Shaq, I would probably do exactly what Parrish would be doing. What else could you have done in real life? Seriously curious.

(B) 2k said it's still animation based. They're saying that 2k17 and all prior iteration had animations that were tied together. My interpretation of that gameplay blog is that if animation X happens at z location and t time, then animation Y will always take place always.

With NBA2k18, they're saying that ALL animations will be tossed into a blender and if/when the same animation X happens, then one of several things can happen (animation D, animation E, animation F, animation G, animation H, .... animation W, animation X animation Y, animation Z, etc. etc. etc.).

Signature animations will always been animation based. A physics only system will likely mean everyone moves and plays the same.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #37
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct

It never ends. Sigh.
Bro thats not what Mike Wang said. He said nothing is predetermined. You'll notice on that dunk there was no suction or canned animation. Shaq jumped and Parrish reacted. That might be one of the outcomes if you dont jump.

Every game has animations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Here's two images below. We'll have to wait and see once 2k18 drops. I simply wished Parrish was standing in the restricted half circle area. That allows him to defend the hoop better. Whereas standing directly underneath the basket lessens your chance; Shaq has an easy time getting to the rim.

The following may not look like much, the blue circle is where it looks like Parrish was positioned (based on his position with respect to the rim). The red circle is where I would have liked to have seen Parrish positioned.

I dont feel the blue mark accurately represents where he was....maybe thats the difference...

I would actually be a lot more alarmed if Parrish was getting back in transition at the rate he was and was able to wall off Shaq..

EDIT:

10, 6 and 3 here I would say are very similar situations...being at a disadvantage and overpowered in transition....

https://youtu.be/6Yu8CdKFdN8

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-26-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I dont feel the blue mark accurately represents where he was....maybe thats the difference...

I would actually be a lot more alarmed if Parrish was getting back in transition at the rate he was and was able to wall off Shaq..

EDIT:

10, 6 and 3 here I would say are very similar situations...being at a disadvantage and overpowered in transition....

https://youtu.be/6Yu8CdKFdN8
You're going to have to look at Parrish's feet. Parrish is leaning toward Shaq is why it looks like he is not directly underneath the rim, but if you look at his foot location, that's why I have a bad feeling about "position awareness." Parrish's feet puts him almost directly underneath the rim.

All the dunks you're referring to have the defenders closer towards the top or just below the restricted circle, which is exactly where I would have like to have seen Parrish located. And basically what happens is the NBA defenders momentum while jumping to defend moved them back underneath the basket. The defenders weren't directly underneath the basket to begin with. That's my main concern -- initial court position rather than position after a collision.

Spoiler

Porzingis initial position is at top/just below the restricted half circle. Porzingis' momentum took him back towards directly underneath the rim. With 2k18 Parrish's position, Parrish looks to set himself up directly underneath the rim first (based on foot position, not lean position).

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Do we seriously have this many pages arguing that Parish's feet were a foot away from where they should have been on a fast break situation..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »