Home

Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video

This is a discussion on Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:10 AM   #49
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Shaq tweeted a short NBA 2K18 video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
Eh. Yall missing my point. 1 that's not a signature animation. That's a guard dunk from last year and years prior. So everyone guard with posterizer has that dunk.
Spoiler
Note: This entire post is strictly about two man animation.. not about player awareness or location awareness.

Putting your quote in spoiler tag just to save post real estate. I think I know what you're talking about now. They're probably not going real time physics based anytime soon. From what I've played of the other basketball demo, I think it may use some real time physics for air collision, basketball hitting body parts collision and falling to the ground collision. Just a guess, but not exactly sure.

Spoiler

Below I have included three different gif sequences. The first two sets are from the NBA2k18 Legends Trailer. The third set is from a promotion music video. Would you consider these to be two man animations. What about the one where Mark Price attempts to block but was still posterized? Was that sequence in NBA2k17? What about the Shaq dunk on Bill Russell? Was this sequence in NBA2k17? And what about the third one where the brother dunks on the other brother? Legitimately asking if these would also signal that 2k18 is still possibly using the two man animation sequences?

I'm not going to comment on "position awareness, location awareness" for the following two posterization dunks and the defenders' position because someone's going to get on my case. I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread ... it's a potential concern. Obviously nothing concrete at this point, but it's still my concern. Legacy concerns isn't that easy to completely erase, which is why I feel the way I do with my other post in this thread. This is a situation where I hope I am 100% completely dead wrong..

Spoiler tag contains all three sets of gifs. "Regular" speed and "Slow" speed. A couple of the regular I had to slow it down just a tad because it was incredibly fast in the trailer.

Spoiler

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is simply not enough footage to make any sort of observations.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #51
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
This is simply not enough footage to make any sort of observations.
False. It's enough if you play 2K enough to notice animations that have been in the game for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #52
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Note: This entire post is strictly about two man animation.. not about player awareness or location awareness.

Putting your quote in spoiler tag just to save post real estate. I think I know what you're talking about now. They're probably not going real time physics based anytime soon. From what I've played of the other basketball demo, I think it may use some real time physics for air collision, basketball hitting body parts collision and falling to the ground collision. Just a guess, but not exactly sure.

Spoiler

Below I have included three different gif sequences. The first two sets are from the NBA2k18 Legends Trailer. The third set is from a promotion music video. Would you consider these to be two man animations. What about the one where Mark Price attempts to block but was still posterized? Was that sequence in NBA2k17? What about the Shaq dunk on Bill Russell? Was this sequence in NBA2k17? And what about the third one where the brother dunks on the other brother? Legitimately asking if these would also signal that 2k18 is still possibly using the two man animation sequences?

I'm not going to comment on "position awareness, location awareness" for the following two posterization dunks and the defenders' position because someone's going to get on my case. I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread ... it's a potential concern. Obviously nothing concrete at this point, but it's still my concern. Legacy concerns isn't that easy to completely erase, which is why I feel the way I do with my other post in this thread. This is a situation where I hope I am 100% completely dead wrong..

Spoiler tag contains all three sets of gifs. "Regular" speed and "Slow" speed. A couple of the regular I had to slow it down just a tad because it was incredibly fast in the trailer.

Spoiler

These are great examples of small clips where it honestly DOES NOT look like those are animations I've seen before (granted I didn't play with a big at all last year).

The Nuggets & Nets clip more specifically how his arm is going up and then curls in when he is hit with the body. It does LOOK as if these plays are not 2 man animations with outcomes that we can't change at FIRST but when you watch the last part where the defender runs off, that reminds me of getting dunked on by a big where I was helplessly pulled into the animation. So idk tbh...

But...Knowing 2K for years and knowing the system they run. I think these just may be 2 new 2 manned animations they added.

As far as the Live videos. THAT is the stuff I would hope to see in 2k with how smooth it runs. If I throw the ball at a player and it hits him in the face, I expect him to react just like that. I want him to get hit with the ball like 'wtf' and not be able to react as opposed to 2K where if I throw that pass against the CPU they'll just steal if automatically even if they are looking away, because of how the animation system is and how the CPU reacts as SOON as you do something on higher levels regardless of how poor the defender is.

Granted that was LeBron, he has been hit in the face with the ball before. Now, the animation where the players kicks the other below the belt, that looks like a 2K canned animation sequence which will play out from time to time depending on situation.

I say all that to say, I hope I'm wrong and there are at least various sets of animations if they do have 2 man canned animations. IE in the Shaq vid, maybe Parish could be back peddling and I press jump and he jumps forward only to trigger a different dunk on animation. OR I press block and he goes up to hard contest Shaq and actually makes him miss, fouls him or blocks him.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #53
Rookie

ZBoo50's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by barond57
I really hope we can get the shaq body type for myplayer
and as a myplayer Brick Wall badge should be only obtainable by this kind of body types with MAX STRENGTH

otherwise brick wall is OP as it usual
Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
False. It's enough if you play 2K enough to notice animations that have been in the game for years.
Animations carryover from year to year. No surprise. The fact that people can't seem to understand that this video was released to showcase legends (Shaq, in particular) and not showcase "new animation!", "awesome defensive positioning!" is what's getting me.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #55
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
Animations carryover from year to year. No surprise. The fact that people can't seem to understand that this video was released to showcase legends (Shaq, in particular) and not showcase "new animation!", "awesome defensive positioning!" is what's getting me.

The fact that it's not remotely possible to extract nor formulate any inkling of potential concerns addressing surrounding elements from a small clip goes beyond me. Remain narrow vision and solely focus on the spotlight because nothing else should matter. Just because the group on the other side of the fence chooses never to hypothesize potential could be's, doesn't mean the opposing group can't make valid assumptions based on past experiences.

Obviously hypothetical ramblings is non-factual. Nothing is concrete without seeing the entire picture. No one knows the full picture besides the creator. We don't know whether user/cpu played a factor or camera angle could have been working it's magic.

Yes, remain optimistic for the new. Remain excitedly optimistic for a new offering, but cautious skepticism is something valid if history is of any indication.

Again, I hope I'm 100% dead wrong. I want to be dead wrong. I don't want to be right about any of this.

Side Note: When Madden released their "What's New In Madden 18" trailer, someone made a note that Brady's throwing animation was on point. It was only a short second clip, but even with that one clip, I stated that there's still an issue with the QB's throwing mechanics because of the hip/shoulder issue. Once the game dropped, QB throwing animation mechanics and even Brady is still suspect. If I haven't changed my signature, click on "Throwing." Basically, what I'm saying is that just because it's a small clip doesn't mean you can't extract any "potential good/bad" from it.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-27-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
The fact that it's not remotely possible to extract nor formulate any inkling of potential concerns addressing surrounding elements from a small clip goes beyond me. Remain narrow vision and solely focus on the spotlight because nothing else should matter. Just because the group on the other side of the fence chooses never to hypothesize potential could be's, doesn't mean the opposing group can't make valid assumptions based on past experiences.

Obviously hypothetical ramblings is non-factual. Nothing is concrete without seeing the entire picture. No one knows the full picture besides the creator. We don't know whether user/cpu played a factor or camera angle could have been working it's magic.

Yes, remain optimistic for the new. Remain excitedly optimistic for a new offering, but cautious skepticism is something valid if history is of any indication.

Again, I hope I'm 100% dead wrong. I want to be dead wrong. I don't want to be right about any of this.

Side Note: When Madden released their "What's New In Madden 18" trailer, someone made a note that Brady's throwing animation was on point. It was only a short second clip, but even with that one clip, I stated that there's still an issue with the QB's throwing mechanics because of the hip/shoulder issue. Once the game dropped, QB throwing animation mechanics and even Brady is still suspect. If I haven't changed my signature, click on "Throwing." Basically, what I'm saying is that just because it's a small clip doesn't mean you can't extract any "potential good/bad" from it.
Your right. I'm just ready for some damn info. No, really. We are too close to release to have NO gameplay footage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »