Home

2k18 All-Time Teams Roster Review

This is a discussion on 2k18 All-Time Teams Roster Review within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2k18 All-Time Teams Roster Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Hawks: Zelmo Beaty would be the best choice as a backup big, but Moses would still be a solid choice for the end of their bench. He was in his mid 30's and pushing past his prime. Josh Smith is mehh, I can see him either way. Terry doesn't belong, I'm ok with him missing.

Nets: no on Marbury. He was only there for a couple years, didn't crack the playoffs, and they have enough capable guards on the team. Rick Barry is tough because his years with the Nets are all ABA, it looks strange enough with Dr J there. Barry only played 2 years with the team considering no championships or anything that's not a large enough body of work IMO.

Birdsong would be a solid choice. But Michael Ray Richardson is a better player. Jayson Williams is missing. Joe Johnson doesn't belong.

Celtics: agree IT doesn't belong. Especially now that we know is tenure on the team was only 2 seasons. Antoine Walker also doesn't belong.

Hornets: Become a difficult selection with the split of he Pelicans. Coleman doesn't belong.

Bulls: I don't agree that Kirk belongs, also fine with Ben Gordon missing. Norm Van Lier, Chet Walker, Bob Boozer, Reggie Theus, notable omissions. I'm also iffy on the Oakley selection. He's a good pick, but not with the team long enough IMO.

Cavs: Kemp definitely doesn't belong, especially since you're picking for a spot over Kevin Love. He's already played more games for them than Kemp, is also an Al Star, helped them win their only championship ever.. not even close. Walt Frazier doesn't belong. Way past his prime, only played 66 games with the team.

Mavs: Stackhouse doesn't belong, Marion is iffy but I would vote no. Barea and Haywood are awful choices. Dampier, Donaldson, Tarpley, all better options than Haywood.

Nuggets: I agree Iverson shouldn't be on the squad, but not sure why you use the only 2 year argument for him and not some of your other selections. Michael Adams could be there.

Pistons: I like your choices. Drummond would be a decent pick up for one of the last spots. I'd rather he than Stackhouse be there. Honestly, Stackhouse just isn't that good player.

Warriors: Durant I agree, one year is premature. He even missed around 20 games, hasn't even been there a full season.

Rockets. Agree with Bev but also Cuttino Mobley. Horry is iffy, but I'd probably keep him on. Rudy T, Moses Malone, maybe even Elvin Hayes.. Barkley doesn't belong.

Pacers: obviously Reggie. I don't agree that Mullin should be there but he maybe at least has a small argument. Croshere and Foster? lol no. Granger, Kellogg, Brown, would be better choices. Artest was a solid player. Good defender 20ppg guy, brings an edge. Definitely tops Mullin's 9ppg with the team.

Clippers: players you listed are obvious misses, it's a shame they aren't there. Bledsoe, Crawford, Redick, Miles, Bill Walton are all laughable choices. Curious to know why you have Mils staying and kicking off Gordon?

Lakers: I personally wouldn't have Fisher there. Seems like they really just wanted another point man. But would Nixon and Van Excel not be better players?

Grizzlies: not much team history to go back with a big lack of top level talent. Scott, Wells, Posey are all out. Maybe even Anthony. Reeves, Wright, Mayo, Dickerson are all decent choices to replace those guys.

Heat: I keep seeing Grant Long, but no he 100% does not belong. I'd like to see Chalmers over Whiteside but I understand because Whiteside is the better talent. But there is no back up point guard and 7 big men on the roster.

Bucks: agree, Jennings? Why.

T-Wolves: LaVine and Hassell gone, replace them with Googs, and Mitchell/West.

Pelicans: agree, kick off Cousins.

Knicks: Porzingis and Amar'e should be gone. Plenty of replacement options with the team rich history.

Thunder: James Harden should be gone.

Magic: Hedo and Lewis should be there, your other missing guys I don't agree with. Steve Francis doesn't belong, Gordon doesn't belong, Shaw and Outlaw are iffy. Replace Gordon and Francis with Hedo and Lewis and that's a pretty solid list.

76ers: Moses, Chuck, Jones, Schayes are the obvious ones missing. Embiid, Dawkins, McKie, Bibby, Holiday, should be gone.

Suns: the guys you listed I agree with. Dragic and Barbosa are the guys to get the boot.

Blazers: Missing Sheed, Lucas, Roy, probably Pippen, I don't think Buck, Grant, Stoudamire need a spot. Cliff is a toss up. Rider, CJ, Batum, Matthews, ZBo all do not belong. Jim Paxson, Kiki Vandeweghe, Sidney Wicks, are so big misses as well.

Kings: Brad Miller really? lol Carr, Gay, and I think Williams, all do not belong. Quite a few better choices especially if you go back far enough. Stokes, Tisdale, Embry, Johnson, Twyman, Lacey, Birdsong, even Kevin Martin.

Spurs: Aldridge out, Danny Green, Del Negro, Horry, maybe even Rodman. I would for sure add Johnny Moore, Alvin Robertson, maybe Silas, maybe keep Rodman just because he's something that the rest of the group really doesn't have.

Raptors: Not sure why the LOL for JV. He's probably the best all around center the team has had. (They have a terrible big man history). He's a better offensive player than Davis who really undersized and more of a F/C. Camby was mostly a lanky shot blocker, and he's the only qualifying big man who gives them someone with enough size to at least bang around on guys like Shaq. JV would probably be a 20&10 guy if he played in the 90's or on a team now that gave him more touches. He's a much better player than Bargs, Junkyard Dog, or Oakley's corpse. I don't think Lou, Amir, or Ross belongs. I would add Camby (teams first decent bigman), maybe Jalen Rose, Bargnani?

Jazz: agree with Boozer and Bailey. Replace Favors, Ostertag. Throw Jeff Malone over Millsap. I actually think Gobert is the perfect back up for Eaton. They can keep the same strategy with him on the floor.

Wizards: In my opinion maybe the worst team on the list. Jamison, Arenas, Bellamy are noticeable misses. Porter, Gortat, Hamilton, Bol, Muresan, Beal, maybe even Hughes, Chapman, and Webber don't belong.

Jeff Malone, Phil Chenier, Dandridge, Butler, even Michael Jordan, and maybe even Calvert Cheaney are better options on the wing than Porter, Beal, Chapman, Hamilton, and Hughes.

Gus Johnson belongs at the 3/4 spot, I would probably put Jamison and Howard over Webber even due to him not being there all that long and all of his great years being with the Kings. Bellamy probably the most talented big man in team history, Ruland even a better choice than Bol or Muresan. This team was absolutely butchered, though I'm sure 2K just couldn't get most of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's odd is that many of the missing players are in the NBA Retired Players Association already. According to Ronnie2K that's the criteria to get in otherwise the players need to sign exclusive with 2K. I'm not sure why many of the guys above are not in? Maybe 2K doesn't have renderings of them?

Here's the list of guys in the NBARPA that should be in game:

http://www.legendsofbasketball.com/alumni/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
Rookie

Thx for the mention of Paul Arizin, had never heard of him. I guess cuz he played so long ago, altho I've heard of many other famous players from around that time... Anyhow, looked him up, and damn he was ****in awesome. One of the best players from his era easily. Seems like 2k might have a hard time getting the rights to some players who have passed away.... It's too bad they couldn't work something out with their estate

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
Thx for the mention of Paul Arizin, had never heard of him. I guess cuz he played so long ago, altho I've heard of many other famous players from around that time... Anyhow, looked him up, and damn he was ****in awesome. One of the best players from his era easily. Seems like 2k might have a hard time getting the rights to some players who have passed away.... It's too bad they couldn't work something out with their estate

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Paul Arizin and Tom Gola were the heart and soul of the 1956 champion warriors and both were well ahead of their time. Would love to see them in the game.

Gola was the first really great wing defender and Arizin the first excellent jumpshooter.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Pistons: I like your choices. Drummond would be a decent pick up for one of the last spots. I'd rather he than Stackhouse be there. Honestly, Stackhouse just isn't that good player.
I like a lot of what you said about a lot of the picks, but I'll step up to defend Jerry Stackhouse's honor here. If we're talking about skill and/or being a good player, we can't vie for Andre Drummond on one hand then opt against Jerry Stackhouse on the other.

Drummond eats rebounds due to his body and leaping ability. He's also good at finishing above the rim within three feet. But he might literally be the worst shooting NBA player I've ever seen, has very little court sense, is frequently a terrible and/or disinterested help defender, is foul prone, mentally checks out, and generally speaking, hasn't really proven to be a reliable asset year in and year out.

Stackhouse put up big numbers on a lot of usage for a few years in Detroit (NBA's second leading scorer in 2001), but I've always had respect for how he modified his game for the benefit of the franchise in 2002. Less scoring, more leadership, more defense, and subsequently, he spearheaded the team's first division title and playoff series win in over a decade.

I don't have a real issue with the inclusion of either, but right now I think Stackhouse is more deserving than Drummond at this point when accounting for impact, skills, and legacy. He helped put the Pistons back on the map.

Edit: If I had to guess, you don't feel that strongly about what you said but no one really talks about the Pistons these days so when the opportunity arises, I can't help myself.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-27-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
Rookie

PippenFan's Arena

Quote:

Bulls: I don't agree that Kirk belongs, also fine with Ben Gordon missing. Norm Van Lier, Chet Walker, Bob Boozer, Reggie Theus, notable omissions. I'm also iffy on the Oakley selection. He's a good pick, but not with the team long enough IMO.
In a video game where majority of the people who play are in their teens and 20s yes Ben and Kirk should be there. This is suppose to be ALL TIME team not just 70s-90s and him and Kirk did a lot to help those early 2000s teams. They along with Deng and Noah were the key core players and should get that respect.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #30
Pro

Stack belongs on the all time piston team. No further discussion necessary on that matter. He holds the team single game scoring record, he's the most prolific pure scorer the Pistons ever had. And he proved at the end he could sacrifice to play for a winner.

Last edited by Kstat; 08-27-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #31
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
Dallas Mavericks: 6/10 (Some Glaring Misses)
Notable Omissions:
Brad Davis (Would've been great! I'm sure it was a licensing issue)
Jerry Stackhouse (No shame in using Jerry 2 or 3 times for these teams)
Shawn Marion (Same as above)
Josh Howard

Why Are They Here? :
J.J. Barea (Seriously??)
Brendan Haywood (Outrageous, perhaps the least deserving player on all teams, if ANYHTING should've been on the Wizards)
How is Stackhouse more deserving than Barea, who was a key part of a championship team?

Quote:
Detroit Pistons: 7/10 (Not entirely 2K's fault due to licensing, but there are a few missteps here)

Why are They Here? :
Andre Drummond
He's 1 of 12 Allstars in franchise history

Quote:

Indiana Pacers 2/10: (The most poorly represented team, even giving a pass with Reggie Miller, 2K really struggled securing rights to the Pacers most important players)

Why Are They Here? :
Ron Artest (Malace at the Palace & a few DPOY's can't save Artest from being here, just shows you how much 2K struggled with getting licensing, better than a current player though)
Roy Hibbert (LOLOLOL)
Artest is the best defender in franchise history. Hibbert is a 2 time all star. Why would they not make the team?

Quote:
New Orleans Pelicans/Hornets: 10/10 (2K Didn't have much to work with here, they did fine)
Notable Omissions:
Jamaal Magloire

Why Are They Here? :
Demarcus Cousins
Magloire over Cousins?

Quote:
Philadelphia 76ers: 6/10 (Some Very big pieces missing here, some unavoidable but got most of the key pieces, tough to do with such a storied franchise)
Notable Omissions:
Bobby Jones (TOTAL failure here, especially because he's in the game)
100% should have made it in. Bad decision to leave him off

Quote:
Phoenix Suns: 9.5/10 (Can't blame them for no Barkley, recovered nicely with some new players, and the key parts of the 92' team)

Why Are They Here? :
Goran Dragic
He's not the best decision, but at least he was an All-NBA player in 2014. Not many other Suns players were ever at that caliber.

Quote:
Toronto Raptors: 10/10 (Missed 2-3 players, but got it right )
Notable Omissions:
Andrea Bargnani (The first overall pick in the 06' draft spent 7 rather impressive solid seasons with the club, before making his way out of the league. Currently playing in Europe, would've been a nice inclusion here. He was in 2k17 in the EuroLeague)
Marcus Camby (See Previous)
Charles Oakley (I mean.... why not?)
Donyell Marshall
Jerome 'JunkYard Dog' Williams (UPDATE: Will be added to this team!)

Why Are They Here? :
Jonas Valanciunas (LOLOLOL)
Terrance Ross (LOLOLOLOL)
Amir Johnson (6 years spent in Toronto certainly working in AJ's favor, but theres too many missing pieces listed above for him to be included here)
Jonas is better than all of those guys. Easily. Ross isn't a great pick but Amir certainly is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippenFan
In a video game where majority of the people who play are in their teens and 20s yes Ben and Kirk should be there. This is suppose to be ALL TIME team not just 70s-90s and him and Kirk did a lot to help those early 2000s teams. They along with Deng and Noah were the key core players and should get that respect.

It's not a 70's-90's, that's why there is Deng, Rose, Jimmy, Noah. It's not a lack of respect of those two aren't top 15 players they don't need a spot. Neither of them were ever an All Star or all NBA player, or even the best player on their team. Leaving them off isn't a lack of respect, they just happen to land somewhere between 15-20 and not the top 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »