Home

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #361
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

Yall acting like Scottie did not have even a single brain fart in his career. If it is consistent with goat level defenders then I call it a bug. Even best defenders like Kawhi, Dray make mistakes or get shook.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #362
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
Yall acting like Scottie did not have even a single brain fart in his career. If it is consistent with goat level defenders then I call it a bug. Even best defenders like Kawhi, Dray make mistakes or get shook.

Umm.... just.... no.

If you want to just justify this as a brain fart then I'm sorry dude but you're either a big 2K fan boy or just plain naive.

It's ok if there's something that's not quite right. It's important to point these things out.

Pippen has NEVER done this in his entire career. I promise.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #363
MVP

You want to tell me Scottie never ever ever made a mistake on defensive end, even at his peak?

Old 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #364
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Quote:
You want to tell me Scottie never ever ever made a mistake on defensive end, even at his peak?

No.

But what I'm trying to outline is, I'm certain this is not an intentional, pre-programmed mistake being made by the AI.

This is a basic set being run from an inbounds pass. No basketball player on earth would just get lost and fail to follow their man in this fashion.

To justify it is simply being in denial.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #365
Rookie

Quote:

it's obviously bad coding/programming... look at the player model.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #366
MVP

Not justifying it. Hence why I said "If it is consistent with goat level defenders then I call it a bug."

If it is once in a lifetime thing with Scottie, Dray etc I call it not having 99 in everything.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #367
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Yeah fair enough..... maybe you're right.

Changing the subject though, I also noticed a few comments on the clipping issue. But check this footage out - maybe the clipping isn't that unrealistic after all....

Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #368
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Quote:
Not justifying it. Hence why I said "If it is consistent with goat level defenders then I call it a bug."

If it is once in a lifetime thing with Scottie, Dray etc I call it not having 99 in everything.
I already mentioned this once about the a sequence involving Rose from another video.

We don't have an issue with lapses in defensive IQ or defensive awareness. That's not the concern here to be honest. It's "how" it's expressed that's the concern. What you see with Scottie definitely looks like a programming bug. I've included screenshot below of what's happening and what should of happened.

At the beginning of the sequence (screenshot below), Scottie (green box) is guarding the out of bounds baseline area directly under the hoop where no one is positioned. Scottie is suppose to be guarding Grant Hill (yellow box).

Notice Scottie's animation isn't lined up properly with Grant Hill. Scottie should have been directly face guarding Grant Hill straight up. Watch the animations for Grant and Scottie. Grant is calling for the ball; Scottie is waving his arms up trying to deny the pass. That's where the programming bug is starts. This sequence is not a poor defensive lack of awareness concern. It's a bug.

The ball is getting inbounded from 10-15 feet away (orange box) to Scottie's left while Scottie looks to be guarding the out of bounds baseline underneath the hoop.

Notice Scottie doing an animation to shield off the pass to Grant Hill are not synced or positioned properly. This is why it's a bug and not a defensive awareness problem.

This is where Scottie should have been positioned to guard Grant Hill straight up. Notice the major difference in location between where Scottie is playing (bug) and where he should have been positioned.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »