Home

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #377
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements Blog From Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Maybe Pipen was programmed to stick with Grant when Pippen is "X" distance away from Grant. But because Pippen starts at X+10 units (or whatever distance) from Grant, then that Pippen needed to pick up the closest man, which was number #18 at the lower corner which is why we see Pippen drift towards that direction.
A bit of an oversimplification. It's not just distance that has to be accounted for, but also who is set as that defender's assigned man in the rotation. And Hill was clearly the closest man until Pip decided to run towards the baseline in the other direction. So that's two strikes. The fact that Lanier got chosen as the main priority for Pip happened incorrectly and also prematurely. One thing that'll help figure out some of these issues is that new defensive callout floating text as well as the defensive assignment arrow. I'd be curious what both were set to for Pippen if the user had immediately switched to controlling him on D. It'll be a good way to debug issues like this as they occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
In other words, I do think the bug starts off with the initial setup.
I'm in total agreement with you here. In fact, I'm ignoring the rest of Pippen's behavior once Hill gets to the top of the key, just because the user Rodman found out what was going on and started to cut off the passing lanes. It's a broken defensive rotation at that point.

Hopefully, this is just an inbound defensive issue and not a widespread problem.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #378
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

^True. There are definitely more factors and variable at play that needs to be accounted for to determine what was the root cause. It's definitely more than just a single variable. It's a collective.

So hopefully those that believe this was some type of proper defensive lack of awareness sequence can see that it in fact is a bug.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #379
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
A bit of an oversimplification. It's not just distance that has to be accounted for, but also who is set as that defender's assigned man in the rotation. And Hill was clearly the closest man until Pip decided to run towards the baseline in the other direction. So that's two strikes.
Spoiler
I was just looking over the entire Pippen sequence again. And I think your very first post about vector and direction was probably more apt to what was happening.

I'm thinking the vector/direction Pippen was suppose to be following was completely flipped upside down, and somehow reverted back to normalcy as Hill and Pippen crossed path. Hill and Pippen's initial separation angle were complete opposites and most notably the speed at which they left their initial spot were simultaneous and with approximately the same velocity. The whole sequence was for Hill and Pippen to move in a counterclockwise direction. Instead some bug caused Pippen to move in a clockwise direction.

Screenshot below. Also take notice of the exact moment when Pippen and Hill (yellow boxes) hits those particular spots. I'm hypothesizing that if Pippen had followed Hill in the counterclockwise direction, Pippen would have "known" what to do. But Pippen's clockwise movement to the 5 o'clock position left Pippen completely clueless "where is Grant Hill that I am suppose to be guarding."

The situation reverted back to normalcy when Hill/Pippen met at the 5 o'clock position. But, if Grant Hill would have received the pass exactly at the yellow box, and followed through with a jump shot, I bet Pippen would still be spastic near the baseline. What we have here are characters programmed to "follow" command scripts telling them what to do if the opposition does X, Y, Z. Initially I was thinking in terms of character truly having its own set of artificial intelligence that they can self manipulate in an unlimited fashion as they see various situations playing out, thus I mentioned the distance between Pippen and Grant Hill. It is because motion and player movements are still set to A, B, C, then X, Y, Z, thus bugs can arise. I'm hypothesizing that if the players had true artificial intelligence to the point where the defensive is truly "read and reactive," such bugs may or may not be present.

Pippen Gif
Spoiler

EDIT: Just wanted to add two more screenshot that likely supports our hypothesis that it's a bug related issue.

Spoiler

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-05-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #380
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake;
^True. There are definitely more factors and variable at play that needs to be accounted for to determine what was the root cause. It's definitely more than just a single variable. It's a collective.

So hopefully those that believe this was some type of proper defensive lack of awareness sequence can see that it in fact is a bug.

I see the Pippen issue as a bug.
That Rose issue - I see as defensive lack of awareness or whatever its called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #381
MVP

Note: For anyone who is completely over the "Rose defensive awareness" gif, please skip this post.

Spoiler

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-05-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 AM   #382
MVP

I stand corrected. This could potentially be problematic if it continues.

Didn't see the gif best I could since I was watching it on my mobile phone while in public transportation.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #383
Pro

JoFri's Arena

https://youtu.be/Zqcxpv7QoK4

Gotten this clip from the highlight thread posted by Yeah...THAT Guy

I notice LBJ running towards the arc out of Curry's screen, and I didnt see KD doing a fake off-ball action faking LBJ. In all basketball sense, he should be following KD by going under off-ball Curry's screen and not go one round like a clown.

I suspect it could be the Cpu defense scheme that made LBJ going over the screen instead of under the screen.

If setting to Auto is what we get for this from our AI teammates defending the off-ball players, suggest to set go under. This is just prelude, so hoping this is not happening in actual gameplay for 2K18.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (388.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (350.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #384
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Now that the game is out...I'm not liking this Otto Porter defense. I'm getting burned by threes....I thought the cpu would adjust when two or three goes in and starts to cover....nope he's camping under the rim leaving the guy WIDE open.

How do I fix this horrible game choice design?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »