Home

NBA 2K18 Offensive Tendencies, AI Execution & Motion Blog From Da_Czar

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Offensive Tendencies, AI Execution & Motion Blog From Da_Czar within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: NBA 2K18 Offensive Tendencies, AI Execution & Motion Blog From Da_Czar

Dear D_Czar,

So, low or high IQ ratings (or any ratings) aren't taken into account for players knowing more than one branch ?

I mean, lets say someone like Dunn faces the same situations presented on the videos of Reddick, is he equally efficient on doing all those reads and actions that Reddick did ?

How does the AI defense adjust and try to counter all those scenarios or is it solely a human task ? If it can, do IQ ratings (or any ratings) are accounted for how well should a player execute a given task or read branches ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #66
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannisLB
Aahh so good

Still didnt finish but have a question for Czar

Thoses AI specific change will be seen in MC? I mean if you play with Westbrook as a teammate or as an opponent, will he have the tendancies to Iso and attack hard to score ?

Cause it was something really annoying to see westbrook or others being calm and playing as a facilitator (as a teammate or opponent, both)

Thanks for the job

MC is a different beast fam and honestly a difficult one for me. Some users want the AI to be dominant and others want to live out their fantasy of being dominant. It is a tricky line.

That said we don't turn off the iso tendencies for MC so they should be more aggressive from that alone. I will be interested to hear your feedback once you have played the game awhile on if you feel we did enough for guys like yourself or if you would want more from your AI teammates.

I don't necessarily have a great answer for this.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #67
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21

Excellent in-game improvements Czar. Couple of questions for the people that play outside of single games and seasons:

How will the engine determine if a team is fast or slow paced years into a MyLeague or if the team composition changes in regard to tempo?

How will ACE take into account those same situations.

How will these AI enhancements play out in tandem with the new coaching philosophies mentioned in the other AI blog?

The "slight improvements" to substitutions; will the AI now sub at more appropriate times within each quarter/half & will the advanced substitution take into account foul count?

The new elements taken into account for each tendency situation; will they be affected by the coaches philosophy (especially if the coach changes) & are they separate tendencies?

Also do any of these new tendencies progress or regress?
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame

Last edited by ronyell; 08-30-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #68
Pro

OVR: 2

Great blog as usual, I love this stuff much more than watching gameplay videos...

Congrats on the effort Mister president, those new tendencies and the Flow Tech looks really dope.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #69

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsfan76
Czar,

Great job on the blog! I have a few ?'s if you can answer

1. When determining the substitutions will the CPU AI take into account player positions when subbing? I ask b/c based on the screenshot guys like James Johnson are listed at SF when they should be subbed as a PF. Will there be an adjustment to player positions to help with that sub pattern etc?

2. How often will the tendencies be updated?

3. Have play types been revised this year? Many bigs last year in 2K17 needed an update of their play type and then they played like themselves. Hopefully you've been able to reconfigure that for this year?

4. Are classic teams getting playbook and tendencies edited too?

5. Will coach points of emphasis have any affect on the AI offense this year? Will those POE be updated this year?

2. There is no defined schedule on that. If someone is playing drastically different than they have historically then we will look at that. For the most part these guys are who they are but new guys on new teams may play differently so we won't be hasty but we will keep an eye on it.

This year I am working with an as yet unnamed tendency master from the community so he will advise me when he feels changes need to be made and I will factor that into my decision.

3. LAst year the ACE system demanded that some players have certain play-types in order for the dynamic post-up and isolations to work. We changed that on the back end so this year they may appear a little different.

One thing though we don't just copy paste synergy values for play-types. When you watch those possession those don't always equal actual plays ran for that type. Also it really depends on what plays we have for a particular team.

Yes classic teams will have tendencies edited and updated the week of release.

I don't understand your last question the AI does not use poe's the AI uses ACE.

Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #70
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Gotta say this isn't some static run a play thing.. these freelances are the next level in basketball games, and in general all sports games.

I don't think people realize the magnitude of what they bring to the table.

It's akin to just playing another shooter vs one with destructible environments, enterable buildings, non linear paths and more than one way to complete a mission....

This dude deserves a freaking raise! I feel sorry for OG having to keep up with this
Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #71

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Still diving in but I'm really glad to see sub menu switched back. But one question...

It says we're supposed to choose who we want to sub in via button press but I only see five options on the screenshot. Is it correct to presume the game just gives you the five best sub options for your given position? So subbing for Steph Curry likely wouldn't bring about an option for JaVale McGree by default, correct?

Correct

Livingston
Macaw
Iguodala
N.Young
Casspi

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #72
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

Hi Da_Czar, quick question:

Will the CPU opponent recognize if one of their players are in foul trouble and sub them out accordingly? Or will the minutes in the Advanced Rotations setting override it again like in 2K17?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »