Home

ACE & Pace!

This is a discussion on ACE & Pace! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

OVR: 0
ACE & Pace!

Suggested Reading: (Questions and Answers from the Czar AI thread)
Spoiler

Many thanks to Czar for engaging with us in this dialogue. Along with Ronyell and TrekFan I was also very curious about the pace that teams play at. I'm a freak when it comes to getting gameplay and simulated stats looking true to life. Here are my ideas on possible solutions.

From what I understand, each Coach has their own unique ACE preferences, and the part that controls pace is based off of last seasons Pace stats. That's good.

I think we can all agree that for the most part, every coach in real life has their own identity, and when they switch teams they usually carry over their key philosophies, some more successfully then others. A lot of there success/failure has to do with System Proficiency (now in the game!), which is very much a real thing. Some Coaches are lucky to have rosters that match their preferred System. Some end up with a Carlisle and Rondo situation, where their starting point guard doesn't have the shooting skills that the coach's system requires

Or D'Antoni with the Lakers, where they had an older team that couldn't run as much with two Centers in the lineup that didn't provide enough spacing for his system to function properly. The conflicts between roster lineups, and system proficiency will develop on their own in these situations because you won't be getting the most out of said system.

So with said, there should definitely be a tie-in with ACE and system proficiency in future games. I think Coaches should have their preferred ACE tempo, which can be based off their coaching career's statistical track record (attached an image of my own research below as an example). Some like to play fast, and some like like to slow it down, while some don't really have a preference on that aspect of the game. These should work in conjunction with their preferred system.

Same goes for players, some like to run up the court while others are more slow paced. Although if you really think about it there aren't THAT many current examples of point guards who slow the game down and walk it up a lot. Off the top of my head I can think of Mike Conley. I also recall nominal "point guards"/ball handlers like Kobe, Wade and LeBron walking it up after made baskets.

Now that both the Coach and Player have their own preference/tendency, it brings the game even more life-like scenarios and challenges. It builds off of the system proficiency features that were added this year. It's something I've wanted for a long time, and now you can add this extra wrinkle. The clash between player and coach philosophies should exist and could be controlled by some sort of "Coach-ability' tendency or attribute. Being coachable is more of a skill, while the actual pace preference is more of a tendency but I worry that introducing pace tendencies to each player will mess with simulated MyLeague Stats heavily. So maybe their speed and athleticism controls the pace they play at while their coach-ability attribute adjusts their ability to adapt to the coach's system. This might not even need a new attribute, it could be lumped in with "Intangibles".

Figuring out how to make the tempo dynamic to each individual game is tricky. Cause ideally all these coaches usually stick to their usual game plan and identity, but against certain opponents in the playoffs they rework things and make adjustments. I think dynamic tempo changes should be saved for playoff series adjustments. Similar to how the Cavs purposely slowed down the game against the Warriors during their first two Finals meetings.

It's totally normal for a team to push the pace after getting stops or turnovers, if the fast break opportunity is there most teams take it. So that never bothered me because it was only natural.

In 2K17, I was never able to differentiate what ACE settings the different teams were playing on. Because I rarely ever saw them walk it up the court. I felt like they all adjusted to play at an average pace as soon as the games started regardless of the opponent. I don't mind when ACE starts strategizing for certain players defensively and adjusting their defensive focus. But they were too quick to adjust their ACE settings in regards to the basics like offensive rebounding/defensive rebounding philosophies, and Pace.

I'm impressed by how things look in 2K18 and this issue looks corrected. Coaches who spend entire training camps and seasons trying to get their team to play at a certain pace or leak out in transition/Crash the defensive glass don't just abandon those core philosophies against every regular season opponent. This should be more rare, like against very specific teams that are a bad matchup for them.

I don't even think its entirely a points per game issue. As long as the correct number of shot attempts are there I'm cool with whatever the final score is. Because maybe a team that normally scores a lot of points got their usual shot attempts but faced a tough defense that night. The highest scoring average last year was 116 by the Warriors, and the league average was 106.

Basically, I'd like a coach's ACE adjustments to be in-line with their system proficiency/POE preferences. If we could have control over each coach's ACE PREFERENCE like we do with POE's, I think that would give us more control over how these teams play, and allow us all to find our own happy medium. I don't know if this is something thats possible because ACE sounds like a very smart and complex system.

I wish there was a way to find out how many shot attempts are averaged in AI vs AI games by the teams that are set to "walk it up". As a user I would be able to test this out and figure out what teams I want to assign that ACE setting to.

Sorry for the long post, or if it seemed like I was rambling. I had a lot of thoughts on this stuff and theres never a quick easy solution.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 3.32.04 PM.png (99.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by antdoggydogg; 08-31-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »