Home

Jumpshooting is an eye sore

This is a discussion on Jumpshooting is an eye sore within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #65
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Jumpshooting is an eye sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlCapitano
What I really dislike about shooting is that there are way too many instances where the shot short-rims and it bounces on the rim before going in.
This. It happens way too often.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
You are once again wrong.

https://www.nba2klab.com/shooting/#deadeye

I think that is very tight coverage with player being less than 2 feet from the shooter.

HoF deadeye, 90rated contested 3pointer = 32.67%FG

Which is actually better! than the stats I posted since it is on threes and that amounts to 49.005eFG% which is better than anyone except LeBron because f logic, right?

Gold deadeye gives you 29.33% which is what KD shot more or less given this is only 3 pointers.

So yes, the jumpshooting was alright.
Killin' em with Facts!!

Contested shots are NOT good shots, and do not fall in at a high percentage. That's why teams create passing and spacing to create OPEN looks.

However, I would not mind 2K taking into account team momentum and individual hot streaks to increase the frequency of made contested shots. That would be a great way to simulate getting "into the zone". Cause when KD is feeling it, no hand is going to stop him.

I don't want 2K increasing the percentage of contested shots overall. That would effectively eliminate defense; as that is the one shot every defense will allow--the contested jumpshot.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
Watching all these videos, and one thing that really stands out and irks me is how bad the shooting looks and probably feels in this game.

I'm seeing wayyy too many shots hitting the front of the rim and falling straight down. That's like missing by an entire foot. Anyone who knows basketball knows that shooting is truly a game of centimeters/millimeters.

It seems like the slightest contest triggers the ugliest brick animations. Contests look way too strong yet again.

It feels like 2k is artificially trying to achieve realistic shooting percentages. The game is looking pretty ugly as a result.

These are pros who shoot hundreds of shots each day. It shouldn't look like a pick up game between football players.
The large letters of above has always been the case. It's why i never liked when so called "sim ballers" would say things like "the fg%'s are too high when I play person X."

Thats not the logic they need to put in the game to FORCE realistic %'s on players.

What should happen and would actually simulate real life basketball. Is for them to based the shots going in off of the guys ability your release point(stick skills) and the defense.

its not that hard.

if a guy closes out but doesnt block it. and you have two ratings. one rating is how much you fear defenders vs how much you dont.

Lets say prime kobe, prime Tmac, prime ray allen with a hand in their faces. It should not bother their shooting release accuracy green area as much as it does to other players that are not special in that area of no fear.

You make the green zone larger for better shooters off the pick and pop, catch and shoot, and/or off the dribble all depending on that players abilities in those scenarios.

Then you decrease the bar based on the defenders proximity to the player. the defenders ability(is he a lockdown guy, a solid defender, or a bum on defense).

Then you allow the green zone to decrease lastly based on if the player is more afraid of a defender thats close to him or not.

ex:
Kyle Korver catch and shoot wide open lets say 10 is the largest green bar you can have. Green bar = 10 (in this scenario for this player)

Kyle off the curl around a screen = 9

Kyle off the dribble = 5

Kyle catch and shoot with a bum defender close by = 9.8

kyle catch and shoot with a solid defender close by = 7

kyle catch and shoot with a lock down defender close by = 3

I can do each one above based on these same scenarios.

lets do prime 81 points kobe.
Kobe bryant catch and shoot wide open lets say 10 is the largest green bar you can have. Green bar = 8(in this scenario for this player)

Kobe off the curl around a screen = 7

Kobe off the dribble = 7

Kobe catch and shoot with a bum defender close by = 7.7

Kobe catch and shoot with a solid defender close by = 7

Kobe catch and shoot with a lock down defender close by = 6.7

^^thats the logic of shooting in real life and should be the logic in any basketball game.

This would force realistic shooting percentage based on the players abilities, the guy on the sticks(skills), the defender's abilities, the defenders proximity to the shooter, the guy on the sticks of the defender(skills).

You dont just force x% on everyone based on nba stats without factoring in the fact that guys were defended well or not.

If you can't play defense or dont want to play defense in real life. a NBA player would destroy you and their fg% would be in the high 60's, 70's. bigs with post game would be in the 70's to 90's. The same should be said for video game basketball. Its up to the defense to make me miss more often.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #68
Rookie

It already started.

In seven days, Iīll play 2K18 and I`ll think "damn, thatīs the best BB-Game ever" ... and then Patch 1 will come, Patch 2 will ... and Iīll

First of all, 2K should post CPU vs. CPU Gameplay before release and only CPU vs. CPU, instead of letting users share their videos - videos, in which they simply play bad Basketball.
You have the best AI in the Sports Gaming business - show it!!

And second: some guys should really, REALLY watch some NBA Basketball.
Yeah, Steph Curry, arguably the best shooter of all time, misses sometimes. Hell, he will throw some, that donīt even hit the rim, it happens.
And if you canīt see it in the game, look at the stats.
8KB24 posted some, look at them: contested shots are bad shots and they shouldnīt go in most of the time, plain and simple.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

One thing I disliked about 2k17 was that if a defender was close you couldn't shoot a normal shot. They jumped into some funky contested shooting mechanic that looked like a HS kid that didn't know how to take a contested jumper. I wish they would go away from that, I'd rather the defender swat it back in my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #70
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
One thing I disliked about 2k17 was that if a defender was close you couldn't shoot a normal shot. They jumped into some funky contested shooting mechanic that looked like a HS kid that didn't know how to take a contested jumper. I wish they would go away from that, I'd rather the defender swat it back in my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

It was part of some peoples gameplan online to just run past you while shooting to send you into a wild jumpshot animation...

The contested jumpers are obviously still in for 2K18....but from what I saw in user v user play they occurred in much better context- like the Dragic play I mentioned and others...

Could be wrong once the game actually drops but its something I definitely had my eye on..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #71
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
Is for them to based the shots going in off of the guys ability your release point(stick skills) and the defense.
Timing a release is NOT a skill. Muscle memory on a button duration is NOT a skill.

Using tactics to get a clean open look IS a skill.

This is the broken logic that gets us 13 patch life cycles. There's a lot of stuff related to shooting that is "Stick Skills", such as creating your own space, using offball cuts, and good basketball to generate open looks.

To put it in different terms. I've played guitar for 15 years. A lot of kids start learning and want to shred. The result is you get a lot of kids that can play one scale pattern in 32nd notes at 190 beats a minute (Read: really FN Fast). That's timing though. With enough practice your grandfather could do that.

The true skill comes in being able to play that fast, and break out of your pattern, or completely improvise in the scale your using. The skill comes from the ability to use that timing in various ways (as well as knowing when to slow down).

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 2

Dont know what happened in 2k17 but the feel of jumpshooting became really weird....2k16 it was great.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »