Home

PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

Well it depends on how much of a graphics nut you are. I upgraded 5 months ago. It's a noticeable difference, granted you have the right TV, but it's not so crazy that 1080p becomes unbearable (unlike like standard Def to high def back in the xbox 360 days was). Also It's going to really depend on what size TV you're getting.

I have a 40 inch 4K ultra Samsung and i also have a 24 inch 4K dell monitor. On my 40 inch is where i see a noticeable difference with how crisp the picture was compared to 1080P. On my monitor it was barely noticeable, almost to the point of regretting my purchase.

So if you're going to upgrade, then just make sure you do your research. I game almost exclusively on smaller monitors and TV's , So for me it's not quite worth it. The only what you'll truly know if it's for you is to test it yourself mate.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Rookie

Chas3's Arena

I JUST upgraded to PS4 and 4ktv (55inch LG, 120Hz, HDR) and it looks amazing. Well worth it.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
Rookie

Before upgrading I recommend checking http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag for a list of input lag on various TVs. It also explains the importance of this.

In some cases the input lag between your console/PC to your TV can be higher than the latency to 2k servers. This depends on the TV and which fancy processing is enabled on the TV. Most newer TVs have game mode which lowers the input lag.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
Rookie

XxCavaliers360's Arena

OVR: 1

fwiw, I don't have the Pro, and I had problems with gameplay pausing during the Prelude... haven't had this problem with any other game, if that even has anything to do with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

I was going to make this exact thread in a couple weeks. Just moved to Long Island a few weeks ago and am waiting on my siblings to ship my tv to me, plus my ps4 HAS to be coming to the end of its life soon lol. I got it shortly after release, and have thus far survived the ominous repetitive beeping and disc eject issue, so have been thinking about the Pro recently.

Thanks for the feedback fellas

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
Rookie

OSUXUGrad's Arena

Overall I think the upgrading to a PS4 Pro is worth it for games other than just 2k18. As alluded to above, make sure you get a 4K screen that supports HDR 10. I picked up a 65" Samsung KS8000 back when they went on sale in the spring and I can't recommend it enough (if you can find one, newer models have come out). One word of caution with the Pro is that while 2k17 looked beautiful in 4K/HDR, the fan on my launch Pro sounded like a blow dryer at times. Oddly enough, it was the loudest when in a menu compared to actual gameplay. I think I read somewhere that it had something to do with uncapped frame rates in the menus. Hopefully this is fixed in 2k18. 2k17 made my Pro so loud that I ended up getting the Xbox One version during a Black Friday sale just so I could play in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
New PC Build: i7 10700K, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (16GB 3200mhz), RTX 2070 Super, Z490 Aorus Elite AC M/B, EVGA 240 mm AIO, 6 Corsair LL120 RGB fans, Corsair RMx750 Watt PSU, and Lian Li Dynamic XL Case (white)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Pro

So I upgraded to the PS4 Pro in anticipation of tonight's 2K18 release. I got it all set up, but when I go to settings it says HDR isn't supported on my TV. That's whether I put my TV into game mode or HDR+ mode. A link to the TV I have is below, and it certainly looks like it supports HDR. Can anybody with a deeper understanding of this stuff help me out? Did I just waste my money?

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n55ku6290fxza/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
So I upgraded to the PS4 Pro in anticipation of tonight's 2K18 release. I got it all set up, but when I go to settings it says HDR isn't supported on my TV. That's whether I put my TV into game mode or HDR+ mode. A link to the TV I have is below, and it certainly looks like it supports HDR. Can anybody with a deeper understanding of this stuff help me out? Did I just waste my money?

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n55ku6290fxza/
I got u

Ku290 is not a true HDR Tv ,you won't get the full benefits . It does display HDR content just not too the full potential . Turn off HDR+ mode. Don't ever look at it again. Enable game mode. Go to picture / settings / expert settings. You should see HDMI UHD color . Turn it on for HDMI 1 and make sure your PS4 is in HDMI 1. Now go back to your PS4 and test for HDR again.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »