Home

PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

Gamestop has a PS4 trade-in deal that essentially gives 200 dollars credit, which is half the cost of the PS4 Pro. I've read some reviews of the Pro, and they seem to be mixed on whether it's a massive and essential upgrade if you have a 4k TV, which I do. I've read that some games are almost indistinguishable between the two systems, while others look leaps and bounds better. I wonder which is the case for 2k18. For those of you with the Pro, is it worth it to upgrade specifically for this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Banned

Re: PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
Gamestop has a PS4 trade-in deal that essentially gives 200 dollars credit, which is half the cost of the PS4 Pro. I've read some reviews of the Pro, and they seem to be mixed on whether it's a massive and essential upgrade if you have a 4k TV, which I do. I've read that some games are almost indistinguishable between the two systems, while others look leaps and bounds better. I wonder which is the case for 2k18. For those of you with the Pro, is it worth it to upgrade specifically for this game?
Yes it is worth it. When I first thinking about buying a ps4 pro, I was trying to find information on if it was worth it too and when I got it, you notice it right away.

It is true, some games on the ps4 are not native 2160p but are close i.e 1440-1880p. Even the games that 1440-1880p are noticeable though but NBA 2k is a true 4k 2160p. If you want more information on what games on the ps4 are true 4k - 2160p, check out Digital Foundry on youtube.

In closing, NBA 2k17-18 in 4k is beautiful. The clarity is immediately noticeable. No more jaggies or rough edges and that may not sound like much but you will understand when you play it.

One thing to note about HD televisions though ( I know this because I did A LOT of research on TV's before I bought mine) is that with 4k specifically, the closer you sit, the more pixels you will be able to see. In other words, to really reap the benefits of 4k, you should be sitting at an appropriate distance. (Between 3-8 feet, Check the online and you will find info about it).

Hope this information helps though bro. I was like you when i was trying to find out information so I wanted to give you my thoughts on the matter.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

^^^ Great advice .

Make sure you research your 4kTV too. Especially when HDR comes into play
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
^^^ Great advice .

Make sure you research your 4kTV too. Especially when HDR comes into play
Excuse the silly question, but what should I know or be wary of when it comes to HDR and gaming? For reference, this is my tv...

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n55ku6290fxza/
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Rookie

CyberOps's Arena

Definitely worth it, i upgraded to PS4 pro 4 months ago and also bought a 4K tv with HDR, the result was amazing on 2K17 everything looks so much better, I bet 2K18 will be even better so yes i recommend the upgrade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
Excuse the silly question, but what should I know or be wary of when it comes to HDR and gaming? For reference, this is my tv...

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...n55ku6290fxza/
That's is a great middle of the line TV. It gets a great 4k picture. Doesn't get bright enough to display HDR to its full potential though . The 8 series Samsung is the most recommended 4k HDR Tv. It is also a couple hundred more for the same size. It's still worth it though even on your TV.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Banned

NewBreed1's Arena

I have a question. If I get a Pro, but don't have a 4K TV yet, will the game look better? I heard it upscales it, but can you notice any difference?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
That's is a great middle of the line TV. It gets a great 4k picture. Doesn't get bright enough to display HDR to its full potential though . The 8 series Samsung is the most recommended 4k HDR Tv. It is also a couple hundred more for the same size. It's still worth it though even on your TV.
I got my TV for around $500 because it was an open box that someone returned. Best Buy's policy on open boxes is really forgiving, so I gave it a shot and I've been very happy with it. At some point in life I'll upgrade again, but this is all the TV I need for now. I didn't even think about a Pro until a few days ago, but I really appreciate the feedback! Now I'm leaning towards upgrading on Friday when I pick up my copy of 2k18.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »