Home

Is this going to be another year of little guys not getting any love?

This is a discussion on Is this going to be another year of little guys not getting any love? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #25
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Is this going to be another year of little guys not getting any love?

IT was eating me alive this morning. Off the dribble, catch and shoot, off pick and rolls. The man was finishing at the rim too. It was a joy to see.

You gotta give him a tiny bit of space or he’ll blow right past you, if you sag off too much, he can kill you with his jumper.

At times it was like Lebron wasn’t even on the court, IT absolutely takes over in this game at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 3

Ive seen a few instances of success with Isaiah Thomas driving to the basket, but I still have my questions as to how it would translate to the full game. I say that because the type of layups he does in real life to protect the ball, I have yet to see.

Something that I feel is a legacy issue with 2K is that their contact layups have the offensive player absorbing the contact with the ball high and extended. That's totally unrealistic, especially at a professional level because not only does it make the ball harder to control it gives shot blockers a continuous view of the release point.

In real life guards, especially smaller ones, use double clutch layups where they expose the ball, protect it then finish, something you rarely see in a 2k game. Before 2K12, if I remember correctly they mentioned an integration of The Shot Change mechanic and their contact layups which gave me hope that they were addressing the issue. But I never saw that come to fruition.

I still hold out hope that 2k18 has made improvements in that department. From the Prelude I've noticed that block attempts from the side and behind are punished more so that in itself should make penetrating guards more successful.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0

IT was killing against me in the prelude

His finishes were very creative

I loved it

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Absolutely a tendency, in fact it's one of the new ones: Iso aggression against defenders of different calibers. Curry is considered at least good, maybe even elite perimeter defender, and I'm willing to bet IT's iso rate is low against that level of defender.

We'll have to see if this is how it shakes out in the final game. Personally, at this point I think this tendency is a really bad addition, as good 1-on-1 players will tend to be aggressive to iso *no matter who is guarding them*. You think Harden stops driving just because Kawhi is on him? No. In fact if anything the elite rim attackers welcome the challenge and become even more aggressive when a well-reputed defender is on them.

If you really want to test if that's what may be happening, keep switching Zaza onto IT when he has the ball up top, and see if you notice him becoming more expectedly aggressive on the drive.
actually you would be right talking about a certain caliber of superstar. that has that super dog in them. most of them dont. most of them are great vs weaker comp and so so vs one another when the other guy is a decent to good defender.

harden aint trying to rush the rack with KL on him. he's going to be smart about it or else KL will have blocks, steals, and have him turning the ball over like crazy.

now if you were to put KL on a prime kobe. thats different. kobe is made up of different stuff than they new era guys. Kobe would go at KL in hopes he could break him.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Absolutely a tendency, in fact it's one of the new ones: Iso aggression against defenders of different calibers. Curry is considered at least good, maybe even elite perimeter defender, and I'm willing to bet IT's iso rate is low against that level of defender.

We'll have to see if this is how it shakes out in the final game. Personally, at this point I think this tendency is a really bad addition, as good 1-on-1 players will tend to be aggressive to iso *no matter who is guarding them*. You think Harden stops driving just because Kawhi is on him? No. In fact if anything the elite rim attackers welcome the challenge and become even more aggressive when a well-reputed defender is on them.

If you really want to test if that's what may be happening, keep switching Zaza onto IT when he has the ball up top, and see if you notice him becoming more expectedly aggressive on the drive.
Is there an iso tendency for each level of defender? That would mitigate this I think. You can have a player like kyrie have high isos against all levels while a lower level scorer would pick and choose more.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #30
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
The crazy part is that i'm almost certain that the prelude is on no higher that maybe all star difficulty.
I can't remember exactly what one of the Devs said, but they mentioned how the AI won't really take advantage of situations until you put them up to _____ level. We definitely are not on that level in the Prelude. I was literally playing 5 on 4 on defense to try to maximize the time that I could play on offense to play around with the offensive mechanics and I'd leave Isaiah, JR, LeBron, etc. unguarded and they'd just sit there dribbling a few steps out from the 3 point line. They'd only shoot the ball after running a play that allowed them to catch the ball while still being unguarded.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

Last edited by Yeah...THAT Guy; 09-13-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #31
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

From the prelude in 2KU i noticed Isiah Thomas being able to penetrate alot, he was able to find open teamates alot when the defense rotated, and he actually finished alot. I think the big thing for little guys is they have the ability to really penetrate inside and have a chance to finish or most likely find the open team mate.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »