Home

The Issues I've been seeing with defense in 2k18 (video)

This is a discussion on The Issues I've been seeing with defense in 2k18 (video) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #49
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The Issues I've been seeing with defense in 2k18 (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
What does control of animations have to do with the ball going through players? I saw a full court pass from the CPU go through one of my players to get to the intended target.

You don't need to defend every issue the game has. Pointing them out the way the OP did is how things get fixed. If we keep making excuses, it won't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I never said having more control is exactly what's causing clipping, but it does play a part in it. Clipping is happing because the players whole body isn't totally included in however physics are simulated like i.e. the hand and ball.

Take a look at this Clip from NBA Live 18 then you'll understand.
https://youtu.be/joCSMFMbgAQ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 09-12-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #50
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Purpose of a demo is to give people a small representation of what the gameplay will be like and nothing more. I compare it to getting a free food sample at your local grocery store. It's not like you would say to the store clerk: "Hey this small portion of apple pie isn't enough for me to decide whether I should buy one..Just give me a whole pie for free...lol

Right, but you're saying that it isn't a representation of what we will be getting because it's a different difficulty. The "whole meal" as you put it would be all of the various modes, and all teams available.

So using your analogy, it's like getting a sample of apple pie when I wanted to sample a steak.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #51
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
I never said having more control is exactly what's causing clipping, but it does play a part in it. Clipping is happing because the players whole body isn't totally included in however physics are simulated like i.e. the hand and ball.

Take a look at this Clip from NBA Live 18 then youll understand.
https://youtu.be/joCSMFMbgAQ

That glitch is no more acceptable than what we're talking about here.

However, in that clip, it didn't affect the outcome of the play because he shifted back to where he should have been.

Clipping is acceptable if it doesn't negatively impact the play. At that point it just looks ugly. But when the ball goes through a defensive player to get to the offensive player, or vice versa, resulting in a turnover, foul, or score, then it is an issue.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #52
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakaido
Ummm yes you do. People wouldn't complain otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app
Well if you knew it wasn't going away anytime soon you wouldn't complain. Either you play and deal or go outside.

It's only so much they can do to give people what they want with what resources they have available to them.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 09-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #53
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
That glitch is no more acceptable than what we're talking about here.

However, in that clip, it didn't affect the outcome of the play because he shifted back to where he should have been.

Clipping is acceptable if it doesn't negatively impact the play. At that point it just looks ugly. But when the ball goes through a defensive player to get to the offensive player, or vice versa, resulting in a turnover, foul, or score, then it is an issue.

Clipping is clipping no matter what. I never said it more acceptable, i told you why it's happening. Accept it or don't. If you don't like it dont play because its not getting resolved this year.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 09-12-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #54
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Right, but you're saying that it isn't a representation of what we will be getting because it's a different difficulty. The "whole meal" as you put it would be all of the various modes, and all teams available.

So using your analogy, it's like getting a sample of apple pie when I wanted to sample a steak.

I'm not saying it isn't representative El I'm saying it's a small representation of what the game is. The demo is devoid of options that will exist in the full game that may alleviate your issues(difficulty settings,etc). Also, do we even know how old the demo build is? I can understand some being shaky about the final product but I think some people are getting a tad OCD about breaking down issues in a demo. DaCzar is on record stating that people should be careful about analyzing video without knowing the settings....
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 09-12-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #55
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Clipping is clipping mo matter what. I never said it more acceptable, i told you why it's happening. Accept it or don't. If you don't like it dont play because its not getting resolved this year.

You said it's happening due to more control over animations. But that doesn't make sense in the context of a loose ball because there are no animations being played out at that point.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #56
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'm not saying it isn't representative El I'm saying it's a small representation of what the game is. The demo is devoid of options that will exist in the full game that may alleviate your issues(difficulty settings,etc). Also, do we even know how old the demo build is? I can understand some being shaky about the final product but I think some people are getting a OCD about breaking down issues in a demo. DaCzar is on record stating that people should be careful about analyzing video without knowing the settings....

I get what you're saying, but I'm not analyzing a video. I'm analyzing the game I've been playing. So I know what is happening on the sticks and what actions lead up to each thing I'm seeing.

And I do realize that it's a demo, but I feel that it would be bad business to release a demo with major issues like that unless they make it known that those things are fixed in the final build. But until something else appears that demonstrates that the things I'm seeing are resolved, I'm going to bring them up.

If they weren't so secretive and actually showed some full length gameplay videos that show these things, threads like this one wouldn't exist. But as long as they choose to withhold information and videos until after release, the skepticism will remain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »