Home

How 2K is like Street Fighter V

This is a discussion on How 2K is like Street Fighter V within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
How 2K is like Street Fighter V

https://youtu.be/iSgA_nK_w3A

A video analysis of Street Fighter's reduced skill gap. A lot of things in this video you will have heard about before in discussions about 2K's problems.

One thing I just want to point out is that the narrator mentioned that a smaller variety of combos are being used compared to before - in 2k competitive play, the post game is non-existent and you don't need complex dribble moves to get past your defender.

With the company's priority of interests - sponsors and casuals first - don't expect the drivel any of you have subjected to in the 2k league, to improve any time soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
MVP

lareka's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How 2K is like Street Fighter V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
https://youtu.be/iSgA_nK_w3A

A video analysis of Street Fighter's reduced skill gap. A lot of things in this video you will have heard about before in discussions about 2K's problems.

One thing I just want to point out is that the narrator mentioned that a smaller variety of combos are being used compared to before - in 2k competitive play, the post game is non-existent and you don't need complex dribble moves to get past your defender.

With the company's priority of interests - sponsors and casuals first - don't expect the drivel any of you have subjected to in the 2k league, to improve any time soon.
Thank you for the post & share.

It is quite common for games nowadays actually.

I remember like playing a game on "hard" difficulty in late 90s or early 2000s, you were sweating and it was very hard to beat a game at "hard" difficulty. Nowadays - since last 5 years- my default difficulty for gmaes is "hard" and it feels like "normal" barely a challenge

In terms of applying this to 2K is all i can say is in the past we had more complicated moves especially on the post, now it's a bit easier to execute them but i don't know if it's a bad thing or not. The bad thing for me is 2K direction. They are going where money is

Last edited by lareka; 08-06-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Great video that everyone in the FGC has probably seen.

I know "Skill Gap" is the hot term around the 2k community right now, and it's obviously used here... but there's really no comparison between the two genres, especially when one is attempting to replicate a sport.

As someone who actually plays SFV and other competitive fighting games the comparisons always drive me crazy...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Great video that everyone in the FGC has probably seen.

I know "Skill Gap" is the hot term around the 2k community right now, and it's obviously used here... but there's really no comparison between the two genres, especially when one is attempting to replicate a sport.

As someone who actually plays SFV and other competitive fighting games the comparisons always drive me crazy...

I disagree, I think the comparison has legitimate validity.

I grew up playing MK and never tried SF until SF4. SF was a game that demanded an incredible amount of skill to "master" (so to speak). Knowledge of inputs, timing, reflexes, understanding character differences. Very different from a game like MK and their "Dial a combo".

2K used to be a game like SF imo. There used to be checks and counters for what felt like everything. I used to have control over how I dribbled the ball, how I went up for a dunk or layup. I don't have that anymore.

I've lost count of how many times I've gone up for a right hand dunk with the defender on the left side expecting an appropriate and safe dunk just to watch my player do a damn windmill or something. I stopped counting how many times my player decided to switch ball hands dribbling up court screwing up my dribble combos and have conceded to just use the left/right BS so I don't get a turnover and piss off my teammates.

It's unfortunate that this title has gone this way and I hope 19 is different.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree there is a certain difference (I shouldn't be able to consistently go 5/5 from deep with Kendrick Perkins no matter how skilled I am) but it's still a decent comparison. When some moves are too OP (Limitless + Deadeye, blow-bys, snatchbacks) they get overused and gameplay is boring. Definitely agree with the sentiment things to be better balanced so different builds and moves are used to get closer to real, and entertaining, gameplay.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Banned

Housh123's Arena

I always liken 2k skill gap to fighting games. Let’s say youre a good player and you play 2k and jump on with an 85 on an archetype you’ve never used before. It’ll take you a couple hours tops to get fairly good even tho you’ve never used that archetype before. You know why? It’s EASY. If you’ve seen someone do something you can easily replicate it with minimal practice.

Go try to do that in Street Fighter. Let’s say you run Ken for years and are great with Ken. You have 2000 fights in and all 2000 are with Ken. Now try to pick Vega. You’ll get destroyed. You know why? Because each player has unique combos and timing and play styles. Just because your an elite player doesn’t mean you should be able to hop on and master another character in a day.

2k has catered this game to casuals more than Iv EVER seen a game cater to casuals. You shouldn’t make your game catered to only hardcore players but you also don’t cater to the casuals who won’t even be playing the game 7 months after release. That to me is idiotic

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Gm is casual, but to say you should have to master a character in a bball game is a casual concept. We all play d, we all play o. There are crosses that work better, better releases etc but unless you are trash, you should have a lot of the game mastered by now. There are different facets but they require different minds states more than skill set. My game doesn't translate to perimeter on o because I always play like a big, and I don't wanna run pg anymore but beyond that, it's all the same. It's more like a boxing game saying you should not be as good with Mike Tyson as you are with Floyd. But why, if you know the game you can make subtle adjustments.

That's not why the skill gap is lacking or why it's casual. It's casual cuz dudes aren't playing bball, just exploiting repetitive moves at high levels.

-Smak
Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Its just complete apples and oranges.

People aren't saying "How can a little girl like Sakura lift up a guy like Zangief"...because realistic fighting simulation isnt what the game is attempting to be. When you have a game that is attempting to be competitive while replicating a sport at the same time, it adds an entire different list of checks and balances to account for. Even now, you guys are talking about "OP builds" and what not...theres just no comparable aspect to that in Street Fighter or any other fighting game.

Side note: Vega and Ken just so happened to be my first two mains before Balrog dropped, lol

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-06-2018 at 10:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »