Home

NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #801
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

My friends who came over last night said they don't like the jump shooting. We were playing on rookie and they were throwing up bricks. I didn't notice it as much as they were, but shooting does require a little tweaking IMO. I personally don't like using the shot meter. It's a bit distracting to me. 2k was better when it didn't have one IMO.

Anyone notice a framerate drop on 2K Low Camera view?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #802
MVP

OVR: 12

Keep games close/rubberband AI is still in effect. Somehow it's gotten worse. This game turns scrub cpu players into otherworldly superstars. While your superstars turn into scrubs.

I've been labbing with my Nuggets and I randomly selected the Hawks. I've played several games and the results are always the same. I get a big lead and my players begin to play like crap while Bazemore, Prince, and Schroeder go completely nuts from 3. I know they are going to use the 3 to get back in the game so I make the adjustment to no 3's. Doesn't matter. Either someone is wide open or they whip the ball around with more precision than the Warriors could ever dream of and they're stroking 3's. On the other end, I'm bricking layups, fumbling the ball when I pass to someone wide open giving the D a chance to recover and close out. I'm calling multiple timeouts to no avail.

Last game I rage quit after playing half way through the 4th qtr and the Hawks had made 26 3's. Taurean Prince a D+ shooter from 3 was Klay Thompson hitting 7 threes.

I kinda agree with the dude that said day 1 it was great but now something weird is going on. Ratings and tendencies be damned. When the cpu needs to comeback they will. Jokic and Millsap will miss bunny after bunny and Gary Harris will miss wide open jumpers while ATL is rebounding and pushing into transition 3's with a numbers advantage.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #803
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Keep games close/rubberband AI is still in effect. Somehow it's gotten worse. This game turns scrub cpu players into otherworldly superstars. While your superstars turn into scrubs.

I've been labbing with my Nuggets and I randomly selected the Hawks. I've played several games and the results are always the same. I get a big lead and my players begin to play like crap while Bazemore, Prince, and Schroeder go completely nuts from 3. I know they are going to use the 3 to get back in the game so I make the adjustment to no 3's. Doesn't matter. Either someone is wide open or they whip the ball around with more precision than the Warriors could ever dream of and they're stroking 3's. On the other end, I'm bricking layups, fumbling the ball when I pass to someone wide open giving the D a chance to recover and close out. I'm calling multiple timeouts to no avail.

Last game I rage quit after playing half way through the 4th qtr and the Hawks had made 26 3's. Taurean Prince a D+ shooter from 3 was Klay Thompson hitting 7 threes.

I kinda agree with the dude that said day 1 it was great but now something weird is going on. Ratings and tendencies be damned. When the cpu needs to comeback they will. Jokic and Millsap will miss bunny after bunny and Gary Harris will miss wide open jumpers while ATL is rebounding and pushing into transition 3's with a numbers advantage.
tempo, control the tempo. The Ai controlled team is good at frustrating and getting you to play at its tempo. those easy misses you have, lead to quick buckets by the AI controlled team, what you as the user tend to do is try to score as quickly as the Ai controlled team. all of sudden you are out of your comfort zone. muck the game up when you see the Ai coming back. play physical D, switch your coverage to tight or smother, and double team the players that are lighting you up.
and if you dont know call timeouts

basketball is a game of runs, its all about minimizing the run.

for every action in the game there is a counter action, its all about finding that right combination.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #804
MVP

OVR: 19

I like 2K18 so far no complaints. I just set up my fantasy draft GM mode. the story line is a slow set up, but when the music comes on and you see yourself in the arena hallway standing there in a suit, and the beat drops, and it says staring "your my player name". it amps you up

another thing I like is the soundtrack. some nice classics for us old school folks.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #805
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
tempo, control the tempo. The Ai controlled team is good at frustrating and getting you to play at its tempo. those easy misses you have, lead to quick buckets by the AI controlled team, what you as the user tend to do is try to score as quickly as the Ai controlled team. all of sudden you are out of your comfort zone. muck the game up when you see the Ai coming back. play physical D, switch your coverage to tight or smother, and double team the players that are lighting you up.

for every action in the game there is a counter action, its all about finding that right combination.
Yup,I fully agree..but like most people many weren't usd to getting punched in the mouth the way this CPU has done this year (in a good way) besides the 3pters.

I can clearly remember getting upset I lost the ball..and they get a ui l score and I pissed off ..try to get the score back..yet wind up digging myself in a whole.. same goes for threes if they drain tons of threes that I think is way out of whack..I try to do the same..and get killed.

They DO slow down and it comes in waves..but as someone pointed out in I believe a post somewhere .. slightly turn down the CPU 3pt %juts a bit and it makes a huge difference...average players shouldn't be nailing 3s with ease like the way that it's happening.

Right now th game might be okay for some but for many it's broken in some form...online players are complaining of lag and frame rates,offline people's my career still being erased.and tons of issues people don't like.

I'm waiting till next week.. Patch h should make everything somewhat stable..and won't be many huge changes again.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #806
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril

Nah not true in my case. I'm being pretty deliberate running my offense and getting good shots. Some of the bunnies are putbacks. Offensive rebound and uncontested shot at the rim. I'm anticipating a dunk on some of the putbacks especially with Faried but instead they lay it up and miss. Any other time during the game except when the cpu is in comeback mode it's realistic and they'll dunk or make the easy layup. When the cpu gets an offensive rebound their rookie Collins is rebounding in traffic going up and getting an and 1 over 2 defenders.

Honestly despite tempo, 30% three point shooters should not be hitting threes at the clip they're hitting them.

I understand it's a game of runs but the predictability of the runs seem so scripted and false. When I go on runs my good players are playing to their ratings. It's not like Plumlee is going crazy. When the cpu goes on one of its runs it doesn't matter. Doesn't matter who is on the floor they are a threat from anywhere and regardless of how they've been shooting all game they get red hot.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #807
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes it has...

I agree with everything...played a mix of Lakers vs. Bulls and Warriors vs. Cavs, what I liked most so far:

- Responsiveness, on offense and defense. Its like 2k17 was at release day, loving it.
- Gameflow and motion in general, it feels great.
- AI, Lebron put up some really cool moves in the post and got me a few times
- Menus and UI
- The game loading times seem to be faster

more info
Old 09-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #808
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
My friends who came over last night said they don't like the jump shooting. We were playing on rookie and they were throwing up bricks. I didn't notice it as much as they were, but shooting does require a little tweaking IMO. I personally don't like using the shot meter. It's a bit distracting to me. 2k was better when it didn't have one IMO.

Anyone notice a framerate drop on 2K Low Camera view?
Do you have game mode on on your tv when playing what is your imput lag, there is no way anyone can be missing good shoots on that level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »