Home

NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #1057
MVP

lareka's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

I have been impressed with the AI so far with the 10+ full games with 11 minutes quarters that I played in this game in superstar difficulty with default sliders.

I have tried to beat the Warriors with OKC and Denver but couldn't beat them yet. I love the fact that they adapt and play better after 1st quarter each and every single time.

I love how the Warriors endlessly pick and move and then KD or Klay is open for 3. Bam !

I love how they execute the gameplay, not force anything or not cheese anything.

I love how Warriors move on defense, how Draymond is unbeatable in 1 on 1's when the opposition is facing him especially.

I love how Warriors bring help to the post especially when I post up Curry.

I love how intelligently they play off of Roberson and shrink the floor and make it hard for my guys to find space.

I played against Cavs with the Raptors too and beat them.

I loved how Cavs started to dominate the game with Bron on the post on the left block once I started to gain lead on them.

I loved how realistic it was for me to have 1-2 pick and roll and I.T. on DeRozan most of the time and them bringing help defender to it.

I loved how they went ultra small with Crowder and Love to trim the lead after second quarter.

I loved how quick is DeRozan's spin move and how effective he is in the post and how often he finishes with contact in the paint just like in real life.

I loved they put Lowry's signature step back to the left jumper so it drops with high %.

Oh by the way, I.T. and Wade at 1-2 do not help them at all defensively and having Thompson, Tristan with Wade actually makes them worse (in game at least) by making either Bron or Wade a spot-up shooter on the wing when I bring help off of them to the paint.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #1058
Rookie

Gameplay-wise, i feel 2k18 could really be the best basketball game i've played when they fix certain issues (centers getting all the rebounds, boxing out, low cpu turnovers...).

Nevertheless, the abuse of scripted scenarios in Superstar/HOF difficulty is killing me since the last patch.

Whenever you take a head start, the game will at some point decide to cheese by entering an completely supernatural god mode. Offensively, they start shooting 80% and hit contested 3s all the time, not to mention they grab the all the offensive rebounds on the rare misses... Defensively, they start piling up steals and blocks while you can't score any (rare) open jumper...

If that wasn't in EVERY game, i'd be fine with it once in a while. I don't mind losing if I feel I had a chance to win.

But when you see a cpu center or PF unrealistically gliding at the speed of light to come and contest your open jumper between two cpu contested 3s, you know you're going through theses moments where you just won't score no matter what, and you will only be spanked until the game decides you can now play again.

Some people will say I just need to adjust sliders, but I do agree with some people in here that said changing sliders completely messes up with the game compared to the standard difficulty modes...

Seriously, is it too much to ask for the possibility to go back to previous setting when you play offline ? I was fine with how the gameplay felt at launch... but it seems i have to undergo every failed experiment 2K will be doing for the next few months... sigh
Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #1059
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

Nice little sequence of fouls that others been wanting to see more of

https://youtu.be/sEMjYN25wBk
Old 10-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #1060
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

what camera settings are you using cam?
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #1061
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm using 2k CAM
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2017, 04:37 AM   #1062
Rookie

Great game! But there are some issues that really should be addressed. I’m going try to be quick, but it probably won’t happen lol. All of this stuff I’m mentioning is mainly AI stuff and how the game is translating difficult. It’s like they didn’t actually play or test the game but releasing it. They really, need to invite some sim players up some of their 2k play events or a year before and point out these issues.

1. I know what they are trying to accomplish. But the ball gets knocked out of your hands for the dumbest reasons. I' can see if it happened with the AI but it doesn't.

2. Miss way to many open shoots with good shooters. A good release wide open with a good shooter should go down, again I said with a good shooter, wide open.

3. The AI hits way to many shoots with a hand in their face. If I shoot a jumper and the AI is 4' away and don't put a hand up. Then we all know the saying “Hand Down, Man Down”. Which shouldn’t be a slightly contested shot. In the NBA, or in this case, you are playing the AI, that’s pretty much wide open. Good gameplay feature. Just needs to attention to detail.

4. The defense leaves their man way too much. Even on Deny Off Ball, my guy feels the need to help 8 off a 3 point shooter. If this is something that can be fixed with other coaching adjustments then Scott OG needs to explain this stuff. He did a good job with explain what things do by adding the explanation feature. But he should do at least one blog and explaining this stuff. For example, if I set it to Deny Off Ball do I need to change the Help No Rotation setting too? That will really help.

5. Why can’t hit a layup with Paul George and 6’ PG on me. And yes, I know the timing of the layup release. Sorry, but PG is rarely going to miss that.

There’s more but I’m going to stop there. Just saying 2k shouldn’t be charging $150 for a game some of these issues. I get there’s things that are going to happen, but some of this stuff is insane.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:52 AM   #1063
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoS2411
Gameplay-wise, i feel 2k18 could really be the best basketball game i've played when they fix certain issues (centers getting all the rebounds, boxing out, low cpu turnovers...).

Nevertheless, the abuse of scripted scenarios in Superstar/HOF difficulty is killing me since the last patch.

Whenever you take a head start, the game will at some point decide to cheese by entering an completely supernatural god mode. Offensively, they start shooting 80% and hit contested 3s all the time, not to mention they grab the all the offensive rebounds on the rare misses... Defensively, they start piling up steals and blocks while you can't score any (rare) open jumper...

If that wasn't in EVERY game, i'd be fine with it once in a while. I don't mind losing if I feel I had a chance to win.

But when you see a cpu center or PF unrealistically gliding at the speed of light to come and contest your open jumper between two cpu contested 3s, you know you're going through theses moments where you just won't score no matter what, and you will only be spanked until the game decides you can now play again.

Some people will say I just need to adjust sliders, but I do agree with some people in here that said changing sliders completely messes up with the game compared to the standard difficulty modes...

Seriously, is it too much to ask for the possibility to go back to previous setting when you play offline ? I was fine with how the gameplay felt at launch... but it seems i have to undergo every failed experiment 2K will be doing for the next few months... sigh
Yo! I feel your pain. I'm going thru the exact same thing. I just mentioned it my post. It's like the AI hacks your team for however long it see fit. Players gliding into position for rebounds, you can't hit open shots with good shooters. The AI glides into positions faster to contest shots, PG's can get rebounds with 3 dudes under the baskets with'em. Not saying it can't happen but when you replay it the ball went thru 2 of your teammates hands first. Then on the flip slide the ball can get knocked out of your hands for the dumbest reasons, smh. Fouls are being called on clean blocks, the AI stops obeying your coaching settings that OG said would override ACE, I can go on, and on. It's a good game, but it has a lot of bugs. If more ppl played offline they would recognize this. But everyone plays in my park so they have no idea this stuff exist.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #1064
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL32
Great game! But there are some issues that really should be addressed. I’m going try to be quick, but it probably won’t happen lol. All of this stuff I’m mentioning is mainly AI stuff and how the game is translating difficult. It’s like they didn’t actually play or test the game but releasing it. They really, need to invite some sim players up some of their 2k play events or a year before and point out these issues.

1. I know what they are trying to accomplish. But the ball gets knocked out of your hands for the dumbest reasons. I' can see if it happened with the AI but it doesn't.

2. Miss way to many open shoots with good shooters. A good release wide open with a good shooter should go down, again I said with a good shooter, wide open.

3. The AI hits way to many shoots with a hand in their face. If I shoot a jumper and the AI is 4' away and don't put a hand up. Then we all know the saying “Hand Down, Man Down”. Which shouldn’t be a slightly contested shot. In the NBA, or in this case, you are playing the AI, that’s pretty much wide open. Good gameplay feature. Just needs to attention to detail.

4. The defense leaves their man way too much. Even on Deny Off Ball, my guy feels the need to help 8 off a 3 point shooter. If this is something that can be fixed with other coaching adjustments then Scott OG needs to explain this stuff. He did a good job with explain what things do by adding the explanation feature. But he should do at least one blog and explaining this stuff. For example, if I set it to Deny Off Ball do I need to change the Help No Rotation setting too? That will really help.

5. Why can’t hit a layup with Paul George and 6’ PG on me. And yes, I know the timing of the layup release. Sorry, but PG is rarely going to miss that.

There’s more but I’m going to stop there. Just saying 2k shouldn’t be charging $150 for a game some of these issues. I get there’s things that are going to happen, but some of this stuff is insane.
There's a 59.99 version...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »