Home

NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #1801
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Just went through the entire offseason of franchise. Overall I think the franchise is very well done. Trades, free agency and drafting were good except for draft day trading logic. It is beyond terrible. It is so bad I’m calling it broken. I was shocked by how awful it was.

Cleveland had the much celebrated Nets pick which was #6. They traded it for Dwight Howard! Marvin Bagley went 3rd overall to the Jazz (who traded Gobert and Favors to get the third pick - wow) and rated an 80. Apparently they had remorse since I started drafting at #12 and they offered me Bagley for that pick and a swap of backup PFs rated 70-75)! Why would they ever do that!? Terrible! Heat drafted Ayton high and then peddle him away for the 15th pick and a player. It’s as though the cpu immediately under values the draft pick as soon as they take him.

For everyone raving about 2K franchise I’m just shocked at how awful the draft day trading is.

Turrible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 AM   #1802
MVP

lareka's Arena

OVR: 0

My League is complete with an epic Game 7 in NBA Finals.

I lost the game on the last ball, Stanley Johnson missing a wide open three and my Pistons losing to the OKC by 2 points to lose the Championship.

It was a back and forth game, a great one.

They had the upper hand in terms of quality, even though I tried my best defending them, PG, Melo and Russ made some very difficult shots. I didn't have any luxury to play selfish basketball with my team and I guess My season with the Pistons can be called as success.

I uploaded 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter gameplay videos below, please check & comment:

2nd Quarter Highlights:

3rd Quarter Highlights:

4th Quarter Highlights:

Last edited by lareka; 03-19-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #1803
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Wow, what a heartbreaker. Great look at it, too.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #1804
Rookie

Jordanmike6's Arena

If i can add something, several times when i make a fastbreak after a steel with Harper or Pippen, i don't have a dunk when i push R2 but i have a lay up.
Maybe i did something wrong i don't know.
Happy to play against Isaac Austin, he is great in the game and now we don't see on the floor Bruce Bowen, and in October we could see him while he didn't play in 1997.

Last edited by Jordanmike6; 03-23-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #1805
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

I just played the game against the CPU on hall of fame and I think won't play the game for some time, atleast offline. I somehow always convince myself that it's not tha big of an issue but CPU defense is absolutely terrible, I don't know how you guys do it, I mean even when I don't want to abuse CPU's defense I can get open shots pretty easily. I was playing with Nuggets against the Wizards and after I scored an open uncontested layup with Murray after the pick and roll third time in a row I just quit the game, it's so frustrating. It's really sad because MyLeague is an amazingly deep and great mode but I can't play it if I don't like the gameplay.

I mean, pick and roll is the most basic play, every team uses it, it's a foundation of the basketball offense, and I don't know how you can release the game where CPU absolutely suck at it. Screens are too strong, especially if player has a brick wall badge, and there are zero moving screens called, so when the defender that guards the ball gets cut off, the big doesn't really focus on the ball to stop the ballhandler from driving to the paint and when the offensive player gets to the lane, noone helps.

I'll post the video that I posted before that illustrates what I am talking about
https://streamable.com/10qyu
gamebreaking, no rotation, no help, it's like I am playing on rookie

Now, this doesn't happen always, but it happens too often. And it's not just that, it's skating and clipping, it's players randomly leaving guys they are guarding open without any reason, not to help, not to stop something else, they just do it.

Layups need to be completely rebuilt, the layup animation takes too long, and it's too easy to block, that's something that maybe online players feel even more than the offline players. That's the reason why really small guys will never be able to drive and score as they do in the real life, as long as it remains how it is, and blocks when players are going down, that's so frustrating. Blocking is too easy in this game, it happens too often in situations it would never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8kgl4NJ5EHw
This needs to be gone in 2k19 awell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sRxw_Fdm560
Along with this

Layups that hit the bottom of the backboard are obviously some bug, and needs to be fixed, floaters are useless in this game because just as layups, it takes too long to do them and they are a big part of guards in the real life, look at Mike Conley for example.

There are so many issues with the gameplay but these are off the top of my head and I decided to write them down here as they come to my mind, just wasn't sure if I should have posted them under the wishlist for 2k19 or here, I guess it's kind of a mix between both.

I have never been so frustrated with the gameplay, 2k17 with it's brick wall defense and awful looking body models were less frustrating, before the patches it was a beautiful game. I've never written post like this about any 2k and this speaks for itself, 2k19 needs to be a huge upgrade regarding gameplay

Last edited by Johnnythelegend; 03-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2018, 03:37 AM   #1806
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnythelegend
I just played the game against the CPU on hall of fame and I think won't play the game for some time, atleast offline. I somehow always convince myself that it's not tha big of an issue but CPU defense is absolutely terrible, I don't know how you guys do it, I mean even when I don't want to abuse CPU's defense I can get open shots pretty easily. I was playing with Nuggets against the Wizards and after I scored an open uncontested layup with Murray after the pick and roll third time in a row I just quit the game, it's so frustrating. It's really sad because MyLeague is an amazingly deep and great mode but I can't play it if I don't like the gameplay.

I mean, pick and roll is the most basic play, every team uses it, it's a foundation of the basketball offense, and I don't know how you can release the game where CPU absolutely suck at it. Screens are too strong, especially if player has a brick wall badge, and there are zero moving screens called, so when the defender that guards the ball gets cut off, the big doesn't really focus on the ball to stop the ballhandler from driving to the paint and when the offensive player gets to the lane, noone helps.

I'll post the video that I posted before that illustrates what I am talking about
https://streamable.com/10qyu
gamebreaking, no rotation, no help, it's like I am playing on rookie

Now, this doesn't happen always, but it happens too often. And it's not just that, it's skating and clipping, it's players randomly leaving guys they are guarding open without any reason, not to help, not to stop something else, they just do it.

Layups need to be completely rebuilt, the layup animation takes too long, and it's too easy to block, that's something that maybe online players feel even more than the offline players. That's the reason why really small guys will never be able to drive and score as they do in the real life, as long as it remains how it is, and blocks when players are going down, that's so frustrating. Blocking is too easy in this game, it happens too often in situations it would never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8kgl4NJ5EHw
This needs to be gone in 2k19 awell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sRxw_Fdm560
Along with this

Layups that hit the bottom of the backboard are obviously some bug, and needs to be fixed, floaters are useless in this game because just as layups, it takes too long to do them and they are a big part of guards in the real life, look at Mike Conley for example.

There are so many issues with the gameplay but these are off the top of my head and I decided to write them down here as they come to my mind, just wasn't sure if I should have posted them under the wishlist for 2k19 or here, I guess it's kind of a mix between both.

I have never been so frustrated with the gameplay, 2k17 with it's brick wall defense and awful looking body models were less frustrating, before the patches it was a beautiful game. I've never written post like this about any 2k and this speaks for itself, 2k19 needs to be a huge upgrade regarding gameplay
Man you are spot-on on your complaints about NBA 2K18. I can't agree more about the CPU defenders overplaying the user especially in p&r situations and no help coming leads to easy open lay-ups even at HOF difficulty.

That's how I made it to the NBA finals with a poor Detroit Pistons roster lol.

My guy Poke is arranging a sliders to fix it up, if it works i'll let you know. Other than adjusting sliders you can't play it at default sliders and ask for a realistic competitive play from the CPU, they'll keep opening up the paint and stay attached to you meaninglessly all the time.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #1807
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareka
Man you are spot-on on your complaints about NBA 2K18. I can't agree more about the CPU defenders overplaying the user especially in p&r situations and no help coming leads to easy open lay-ups even at HOF difficulty.

That's how I made it to the NBA finals with a poor Detroit Pistons roster lol.

My guy Poke is arranging a sliders to fix it up, if it works i'll let you know. Other than adjusting sliders you can't play it at default sliders and ask for a realistic competitive play from the CPU, they'll keep opening up the paint and stay attached to you meaninglessly all the time.
The problem is that I've tried many sliders, from sliders section on OS, tried to modify them myself aswell, tried to edit ratings of players to fix it, I put pick and roll defense iq to 99 for every player and it was still subpar. That just tells me that it is broken, if i maxed it out, yeah, I put help defense under coaching sliders at 100 aswell, and the that still didn't fix it, seems like beating a dead horse
Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #1808
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnythelegend
The problem is that I've tried many sliders, from sliders section on OS, tried to modify them myself aswell, tried to edit ratings of players to fix it, I put pick and roll defense iq to 99 for every player and it was still subpar. That just tells me that it is broken, if i maxed it out, yeah, I put help defense under coaching sliders at 100 aswell, and the that still didn't fix it, seems like beating a dead horse
Hmm, that means the game is broken by the build. Same was true for Nba 2k7, it had frustrating problems for me and they were never being able to fixed with any slider adjustments

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »