Home

Realistic shooting percentages

This is a discussion on Realistic shooting percentages within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Realistic shooting percentages

]It's that time of the year where everyone gets up in arms over missing a layup or an open three. That time of year where people want patches because they had a hand in the face of a shooter and the shooter still made the shot.

Reality is NBA players make lower percentages of shots in the paint than most people know, hit a lower percentage of open threes and a higher percentage of contested shots. Here's some data on why 2k is more realistic with this stuff than many players think:

Here's a site that allows you to look at shooting percentages and shot frequency based on how close defenders were. If you look at threes with defender within 2 feet, most teams still hit between 20 and 30% with a few more successful and a few less.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/shooting/...e=By%20Zone%2F

Expand out and have a defender within 2-4 feet and the entire league bunches between 25% and 35%.

Expand out to open (defender 4-6 feet) and everyone is still between 30-40%. Most teams bunched around 35%

Expand out to Wide open and the top team is STILL at 42%. It's is simply a myth that NBA players drop an open 3 with a extremely high rate of accuracy

The best wide open 3 shooter in the game was Jason Smith at 65%. The elite shooters? Korver 55%. Redick 54%. Klay Thompson 47%. otto Porter 46% Kyrie 42%

On the flip side with tight coverage (not enough very tight 3s taken to be really statistically valid on a player by player basis) you have Harden taking 4 of these a game and hitting 32%. Steph at 30% Lillard and Klay at 37%

Top shooters hit 3s with tight D and miss 3s that are wide open.

If you look at shots within 5 ft, the highest team in the league hit 65%. That isn't just drives either, that includes easy fast break points.

Elite players at attacking the rim shoot the following within 5 ft:

Lebron 69%
Westbrook 57%
Isiah Thomas 53%
Lillard 49.5%
Harden 58%
Wall 57%
Derrick Rose 48%

Cousins 56%
Griffin 69%
Anthony Davis 67%
DeAndre 73%
Towns 65%
Nurkic 45% (just to illustrate someone who struggles in traffic)

NBA players miss shots. Lots of them. And make tough shots Lots of them. So should 2k players.

Last edited by Comduklakis; 09-16-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Realistic shooting percentages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
]It's that time of the year where everyone gets up in arms over missing a layup or an open three. That time of year where people want patches because they had a hand in the face of a shooter and the shooter still made the shot.

Reality is NBA players make lower percentages of shots in the paint than most people know, hit a lower percentage of open threes and a higher percentage of contested shots. Here's some data on why 2k is more realistic with this stuff than many players think:

Here's a site that allows you to look at shooting percentages and shot frequency based on how close defenders were. If you look at threes with defender within 2 feet, most teams still hit between 20 and 30% with a few more successful and a few less.

Expand out and have a defender within 2-4 feet and the entire league bunches between 25% and 35%.

Expand out to open (defender 4-6 feet) and everyone is still between 30-40%. Most teams bunched around 35%

Expand out to Wide open and the top team is STILL at 42%. It's is simply a myth that NBA players drop an open 3 with a extremely high rate of accuracy

The best wide open 3 shooter in the game was Jason Smith at 65%. The elite shooters? Korver 55%. Redick 54%. Klay Thompson 47%. otto Porter 46% Kyrie 42%

On the flip side with tight coverage (not enough very tight 3s taken to be really statistically valid on a player by player basis) you have Harden taking 4 of these a game and hitting 32%. Steph at 30% Lillard and Klay at 37%

If you look at shots within 5 ft, the highest team in the league hit 65%. That isn't just drives either, that includes easy fast break points.

Lebron 69%
Westbrook 57%
Isiah Thomas 53%
Lillard 49.5%
Harden 58%
Wall 57%
Derrick Rose 48%

Cousins 56%
Griffin 69%
Anthony Davis 67%
DeAndre 73%
Towns 65%

NBA players miss shots. Lots of them. And make tough shots Lots of them. So should 2k players.

Why was this thread even made? Shooting is great as is. No need for this. Just go play the game. The game is out and people should enjoy. Traffic should die down on this site now
Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheArc88
Why was this thread even made? Shooting is great as is. No need for this. Just go play the game. The game is out and people should enjoy. Traffic should die down on this site now
Lol, his point was that shooting is well balanced and shouldnt be patched.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis

Lebron 69%
Westbrook 57%
Isiah Thomas 53%
Lillard 49.5%
Harden 58%
Wall 57%
Derrick Rose 48%

Cousins 56%
Griffin 69%
Anthony Davis 67%
DeAndre 73%
Towns 65%

From a user standpoint it is good on 2k18. Although, the cpu seems like they are to accurate on open shots so far.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheArc88

Yeah the game totally nailed it

No issues at all from this game so far

Idk how they did it actually

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
Yeah the game totally nailed it

No issues at all from this game so far

Idk how they did it actually

I agree. The CPU is little bit more accurate, but that can be addressed by sliders or better defense.

From the user perspective, the shooting percentages AND success/failure rate is on the money. I feel that there's not a shot that I WON'T take with the right player. Also, I never feel like I got cheated on any shots that I take or shots I contest.

The game changer for me is that dunks are relatively hard to come by, so it forces you to expand your game YET you're not discouraged in making the change. I hated how I would go 0-6 on open looks last year. Yeah, I know that players miss shots or have poor shooting nights, but damn.

This is from playing PNO and Quick Play.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Wholeheartedly agree with OP, the "open shots should always fall and contested shots should always miss" gameplay is what made me put down 2K17 after only a couple of months.

The people OP mentions have a fundamental misconception of what basketball actually is - a game of percentages. You don't expect a shooter to miss every contested shot, you expect that over the course of an entire game that he will make them less often than open shots .

As an iso guy I live for the moments at the end of the shot clock where I can give my team a 35 -40% chance to score when it would've otherwise been in maybe the 15-20% range. We can only hope 2K doesn't give in to the hurt feelings and stays true to the game of basketball.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
From a user standpoint it is good on 2k18. Although, the cpu seems like they are to accurate on open shots so far.

Been saying this from day 1 lol. CPU makes shots like it’s nobodies business. They should be missing more wide open shots than they are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »