Home

Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots?

This is a discussion on Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #9
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
Let me temper expectations some. That glitchy absentee defense stuff happens with a LOT less frequency in this game. I've played 14 games now and I absolutely vouch for it. So long as you don't expect perfection, you will feel the difference. I think you should buy this game.
It happens pretty infrequently, and even then some of it can be attributed to the fact that I'm playing as the Knicks. It can be frustrating, but it frustrates me when it happens to the actual Nuggets, which is a lot. Game is great.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Anyone else have thoughts on this now that we're a week out from early release?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord
Anyone else have thoughts on this now that we're a week out from early release?
Someone did post something else about the defense simply running away from a perimeter shooter, leaving him open. There continues to be still be 2k legacy issues (I wrote about one legacy issues in the following thread. Read it to see why the 2k transition defense still has issues).

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...no-reason.html

It's really going to come down to how much you can overlook this while playing the game. Even with those legacy concerns, I'm still having a pretty good time with 2k18. Just know that it happens, but not always.

In my honeymoon phase with the game, I feel like it's an upgrade over 2k17. I strictly play on broadcast camera, so that visually neutralizes some of the AI concerns, but they will rear their heads every now and now. It all comes down to how 2k codes the defense. In order for them to truly fix it, they would have to start by fixing the transition defense. If you strictly look at the transition defense, it shows a lot of flaws that may have carry over effect to half court defense.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Someone did post something else about the defense simply running away from a perimeter shooter, leaving him open. There continues to be still be 2k legacy issues (I wrote about one legacy issues in the following thread. Read it to see why the 2k transition defense still has issues).

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...no-reason.html

It's really going to come down to how much you can overlook this while playing the game. Even with those legacy concerns, I'm still having a pretty good time with 2k18. Just know that it happens, but not always.

In my honeymoon phase with the game, I feel like it's an upgrade over 2k17. I strictly play on broadcast camera, so that visually neutralizes some of the AI concerns, but they will rear their heads every now and now. It all comes down to how 2k codes the defense. In order for them to truly fix it, they would have to start by fixing the transition defense. If you strictly look at the transition defense, it shows a lot of flaws that may have carry over effect to half court defense.
So I caved and got the game. After one game offline and one game online, I saw this problem happen once. Much improved. The computer jacked up 3s (the Nets shot 50 against me) mostly because my defense was slow rotating. But by slow, I mean a half step behind, not running away from their man. Since I'm the Bulls, I can sort of accept this as just bad defense, NOT broken programming.

One thing I will say is this - why on earth should we have to "overlook" broken programming to enjoy a game? That's RIDICULOUS. Something this fundamentally wrong shouldn't be in the game at all. Period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »