Home

Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team?

This is a discussion on Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Can we take a moment to congratulate the GAMEPLAY dev team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
Just like it took the 4th iteration on last Gen to reach to the magnus opus that was 2k11

Wasn't 2K11 the 6th 2K game on last gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3

I've been playing basketball video games since (yikes) Lakers vs Celtics on PC. I used to cheat on NBA Live 95 but cheat to make the game competitive. I'd do anything just to get a decent game even if it meant helping the CPU.

Playing 2k18, I'm amazed at the CPU AI. Passes that would've been a sure thing in the past are getting picked off and heading the other way. The CPU finds open teammates when I help too much. My computer teammates cut when in a way that's logical. There's good basketball being played and I'm not sure I thought I'd ever see that. I've trailed most of the time I've played. Most intelligent sports game I've experienced!

Last edited by jmarcguy; 09-18-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #11
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
I think the post play is bad, post players in real life have go to moves like hook shots and such when going into the lane, and for me when iv tried using them, they are way off and shoot low percentages, when in reality dominant post players if not doubled could hit these shots at a high percentage. Plus getting good position means nothing sometimes cause they just clip thru your entire body to glitch the ball away, at that point its all for nothing if a defender can do that to stop you.
Just because you aren't good with post moves doesn't mean post play is bad. It's a vast improvement from last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #12
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

OVR: 0

Really fed up with 2K17. I've never been enraged playing a game in my life. I told myself I'm not getting 2K18 no matter what. Sick of the cheese fest. Playing 2K18 all weekend and having the most fun I ever had in a game I am like, good job, 2K. You addressed everything I wanted in gameplay. Yes, there are still annoyances and some flaws but this is a damn near perfect basketball game.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #13
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Got the game on Friday and started playing at 8 pm. Now aside from golf games (which is a long story and not the right thread) I really only play video games if Im working on a project like a franchise mode, career mode, or campaign mode for shooters. Aside from that I don't play video games much unless there's not much else to do. That being said, I didn't really put this game down at all this entire weekend. The gameplay is just completely amazing, from defending, to offense, to movement, rebounding and positioning being a big factor, even rotation logic is better, ESPECIALLY IN GARBAGE TIME. Garbage time rotations got a HUGE upgrade guys, in a game Bucks (me) @ Celtics (CPU) I blew the Celts out and scrubs on both teams played basically all of the 4th quarter! I would absolutely NEVER see that in 2k17. I mean its so good to me, as of right now, that unless 19 is an upgrade I just stay with this. Even 20 and onward if they aren't better. If gameplay stays as is and they fix the MyCareer and MyLeague bugs, this game becomes the GOAT 2K... And with SimWorld for Xbox AND PS4?? Man the potential for this game is just incomprehensible...

Side note, kinda funny how this is a positive review thread and some people still try to turn it into a complaint/rant thread...
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
I'm seeing a lot of people around the internet complaining (myself included) and i just don't feel like it's an accurate reflection of how good the gameplay is, so i thought it'd be worth setting up a thread where people can express their positive thoughts too. The 2k team slaves over this game for almost a year and they're only human, it'd be nice for them to hear that their work is appreciated. Also, 2K are more likely to build on the things that people appreciate. Think about that for a moment.

For me the gameplay is a total triumph. I've been playing basketball games since 2001 and this is the most impressed i've ever been with the gameplay. In terms of the little "risk/reward" sub-games of the game, i feel like this is the best it's ever been. You have to think from a basketball perspective to win. I'm seeing a lot of people on the internet complain that the game is too hard (i can't make shots! Too many turnovers! Defense is horrible!), but that's a load of bull$hit. I just blew out the Bucks with my crappy expansion team on superstar (where Ibaka, Jeremy Lin & Kyle Anderson are my big 3). This year it's not the game that's bad, it's the player.

Not only that, the way the animations branch off each other is pretty amazing. It moves beautifully. Defense feels SOOOOO much better. The "live ball" feel is really cool too. The driving game is great. Rebounding is cool. And there's so many other little tweaks under the hood that i can't put my finger on that are contributing to making this game feel like real NBA basketball.

I'm sure as we play it over the coming weeks/months there will be trends that emerge within the gameplay that need to be tweaked, but i don't believe anybody can have the grounds to complain about the gameplay until they really express how ****ing good it is. To me it's like basketball heaven. It's easily the best gameplay they've ever released. Way better than 2k11 imo, anybody who says otherwise is just getting cute with it imo. So congrats to Mike Wang, Scott O, Da Czar and whoever else who worked on the gameplay. I'm having an awesome time with the game. There's not enough time in the day to play with all the teams that i wanna play with.

What are you guys loving about the game?

Like you I have my gripes with MyGM and MyLeague being broken, among some other issues, but as far as the on the court gameplay, its stellar. Ive been buying 2k basketball games every yr since they very 1st game, which was I think called 989 sports or something like that before it became known as 2k, with the only game I never bought was NBA2k9, outside of that yr I have bought it every yr on the day it came out, and this is by far the best on court gameplay ever, as far as player movement and smoothness go.
Probably the only thing gameplay wise outside of lack of fouls, and wouldnt mind a bump in non steal turnovers, is the skip pass, and the lob into the paint. There needs to be more arc on the ball, when skipping it to the other side, and when you lob it into the post.. Love that they finally added a slider for pass speed.
Shooting is hard as heck for me, but Id rather it be like that, to where I can bump up the shooting sliders if needed, rather than it be too easy and trying to tone it down, as I find it easier to raise shooting sliders, than trying to lower them for some reason.
They definitely did a great job with on court gameplay, as its been slowly improving over the past couple years, as I thought 17 was a solid game for the most part gameplay wise, which is why I had faith that 18 would also be a step up as well.
So thanks to those devs who worked on gameplay, you really did a nice job this yr.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2

I was seriously doubting team 2k after 2k17... I hesitantly picked up the game after being encouraged by the prelude and wow!

Best gameplay out of the box ever!!! The biggest difference to me is the fact that they got rid of the bumping psychic defender nonsense... Kyrie feels like Kyrie. It completely opens up the game on both sides of the ball and adds another level of strategy... Weak defensive teams will get exposed without a sound defensive philosophy... That is the way it should be!

They nailed the control and feel of the game...

The speed threshold is tuned perfectly as well as the passing speeds. I love the fact that layups are a lot more dynamic and creative when avoiding blocks... John Wall did a 360 layup trying to avoid a defender and my jaw dropped...

The rugged emotions after a big play has me constantly checking the instant replay to confirm what I thought I saw... I have seen pointing, stare downs and even people standing over people... I have even seen people in each other's faces for fouls... I got a technical foul called on me for a hard foul in the paint. Lebron got up touching his face lol... I can go on and on...

The individual style opens the game up and I am having a the most fun ever playing a basketball game... This includes 2k11.

I have played about 30 games on play now hall of fame and I am in basketball heaven... Thank you 2K!!!!! Standing ovation. You have a special game on your hands. Really special...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease do not inadvertently start patching this masterpiece to appease people with small sample sizes and people with limited understandings about the game.

Last edited by rhein77; 09-18-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
Just because you aren't good with post moves doesn't mean post play is bad. It's a vast improvement from last year.

I echo these sentiments... there are a lot of other variables that go into successful post play. I notice that strength and speed matters... height as well.

A good post defender will cause problems... The post fade away is good as well as the up and under moves... You can literally completely back down weaker defenders and just dunk the ball. Speed kills on the block as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »