Home

AI Defense Sometimes Getting Lost On Help Defense For No Reason

This is a discussion on AI Defense Sometimes Getting Lost On Help Defense For No Reason within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: AI Defense Sometimes Getting Lost On Help Defense For No Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Again if these help defenders stop just shy of the lane line on their rotations instead of sitting under the rim then they would be in perfect position to assist on drive if needed while also being able to provide some sort of contest on the corner jumper. That is really the main thing that needs to be addressed imo
This 100%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
The AI issues, both intentional(overly User-centric gameplay focus) and unintentional make MyCareer a non starter for me. I don't know how anyone who likes playing good fundamental basketball can stand to play it.

In the normal 5v5 games I do feel like making your own defensive adjustments can ameliorate it quite a bit. I probably only see it about 4 or 5 times a game now, but hopefully they can tweak something in the logic of those players to make it less extreme.

Even if he's right in principle, I think that OG should acquiesce to the communities wishes on this issue and not have that defender ever sag that deep into the paint on those plays.
Agreed. This should be able to be resolved fairly easily by making two changes to the AI programming.

1. Play tight on elite shooters, and do not leave them to rotate. (Maybe 85+ or 90+ three-point rating)

2. When defenders do sag to help, program them to be a foot or two outside the lane. They should never be under the basket or standing in the paint.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Agreed. This should be able to be resolved fairly easily by making two changes to the AI programming.

1. Play tight on elite shooters, and do not leave them to rotate. (Maybe 85+ or 90+ three-point rating)

2. When defenders do sag to help, program them to be a foot or two outside the lane. They should never be under the basket or standing in the paint.
Here's the problem... The game was patched how many times last year? This was NEVER addressed. 2K simply doesn't see that the defense is fundamentally broken somewhere in the programming.

For the second straight year this is happening, and I see people in every thread concerning it defending the game and ignoring it. HOW!?!? How can people not see how broken this is?

I will say it doesn't appear to be happening as often as it did in 2K17, but it's still happening and it just shouldn't be. There is NO situation in real basketball where you literally run AWAY from your man to stand somewhere that nobody is near just to watch your guy shoot a wide open 3. It's NOT basketball. It is broken.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #68
Rookie

So, I play MyGM exclusively. Offline vs. CPU, back and forth between Pro and All Star, no slider changes. Here's what has me frustrated about my teammates' defense...

1) First man back runs straight to the basket and stands under the rim, EVERY DAMN TIME. This completely breaks -- a term I don't use lightly -- transition D rotations and accounts for at least 3 or 4 wide open 3's a game. And from what I've seen so far, the CPU almost never misses wide open 3's. This was, IMO, the single most broken thing about last year's game (offline vs. CPU), and it hasn't changed AT ALL. Horribly disappointing...

2) Players who aren't "excellent" defenders seem to be completely lobotomized on help/rotations/working through screens. I like that "defense now matters," the battle cry of lots of people on this forum, but HOW it's been made to matter seems cheap. There seems to be very little middle ground: if your guy ain't Gary Payton or DeAndre Jordan and you're not controlling him, he WILL get lost for no reason, leave his guy alone for no reason, rotate for no reason, etc...

3) CPU offensive rebounding is -- again, a term I don't use lightly -- completely overpowered. I suppose sliders can fix this, but damn: you play stellar D, for a change none of your guys leave you hung out to dry like a Madden FB on a sweep play, but nope -- Gordan Heyward plays volleyball with himself under the rim after the miss.

4) Even when I move D adjustments to tight/smother on ball and deny off ball, and THEN pick "no threes" on the fly, the CPU still gets open for 3's -- not all the time, but way more often than they should.

NOW, to be fair...

I suspect that Team Chemistry has a nasty overpowering effect in MyGM, and that some (much?) of this is probably tied to that. Last few games , which have been horribly frustrating, have been at the beginning of season 2 with a rebuilt Knicks squad. My team has the top 2 rookies, the stud SF and the stud PG, both in the low-mid 80's with great D. My other 3 starters and key bench guys are all super young in the mid-high 70's. Being young, all probably have lower D awareness, and my team chemistry is in the 50's. It seems like EVERY other team in the entire league has team chemistry in the 90's, which is stupid.

So my ultimate take is this: broken transition D (statue guy under the rim) is still there; "defense matters" has crippled average defenders, especially off the ball; coaching adjustments are hit and miss -- some guys just don't listen; and team chemistry exacerbates it all.

Ultimately, I'd love to play games to get the team chemistry up, but I find it too frustrating. I might just sim until chemistry is in the 80's. MAN, I wish MyGM had manual saves...
Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #69
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

I turn help defense to 5 or 0 in my coach settings slider. Huge improvement for me anyway. The lower the better imo
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #70
Pro

Re: AI defense is broken.. again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
What should defensive mishaps look like?

We keep saying what it SHOULDN'T look like but nobody ever says what it looks like
Given the clips the OP showed, this tack doesn't make much sense to me. The game actually does a good job of organically producing mistakes in many situations (which has made calling plays a real joy this year). That's part of the reason why those clips stand out so much. Also, the action is exaggerated to the point that it looks like a glitch. The real question anyone trying to replicate reality should always ask is: Does this break suspension of disbelief (given what your viewer/user expects to see)? If so, consider revising.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #71
Rookie

My CPU guys often run into each other and get stuck on each other. When the CPU nails ANOTHER ****ING WIDE OPEN 3 even though I have help d off and "no 3's" chosen, I go to instant replay and revel in that deliciousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #72
Rookie

My best experience so far has been on Pro, with CPU shooting and offensive rebounding sliders down to 48, help D set to 5/100 in coach settings, and in game d adjustments set globally to tight both on and off ball with deny for any player who's a good 3 pt shooter. I play full court D to fix my players' running back and chatting with reporters in press row. Then I institute some house rules like having to run actual plays half the time (in lieu of PnR every time) and having to play on ball D every other possession (instead of floating w a big).

This has saved the game for me. CPU cheese has been greatly reduced. I will try these settings on All Pro soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »