Home

KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

This is a discussion on KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
Banned

realtalk0131's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
I don't understand why people who clearly don't play the mode, and for some reason dislike it altogether want to keep coming in and telling fans of the mode that their problem doesn't exist. I primarily play MYCareer. I however do not play online in the park or pro am. No desire. So I don't care about spending money to be an 85 to compete online. That doesn't change the fact that even the offline portion of the mode still try to force you to purchase VC. They have raised the price of everything but lowered the amount of VC you earn. Last year you could earn the right to choose jerseys after a few weeks in the season by spending time with the team owner. This year you have to get to an 80 overall which would take multiple seasons at the rate VC is given out. So it's gone from a few weeks to almost a few full seasons. Everything is locked behind VC, but you can only earn so little at a time in the mode. I don't care about getting my guy to a 99. I just wanna play the mode, customize my character. That's it. Player locked my league is an alternative but it's just not the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernte
trollolo? or you're just taking the p*ss here?
not trolling just stating facts, why did i got your attention? you take it as you want. im just saying why create so much fuzz that eventually you people will still buy into. you yourself create this thing so why complain now?? and like i said the forum is flooded with so much about online and im afraid some of the things will not be seen again or fix because of this.Peace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 1

I absolutely think the prices are too high. But to me, complaining about the prices after paying for VC is kind of like going to an NFL game and dropping 250-500 bucks on tickets, parking, and food and then complaining about the prices after.

You knew the cost and what you were paying for.

Again, with that said hope they lower the cost for those of you that do play modes with VC.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk0131
The thing is people coming at this becoz they over flooding the forum with the same damned complaint yet they will still buy into it. and its really annoying every year is the same thing. if its really that much of a headache for people to play modes that needs VC then avoid that mode, imagine how simple is that. and the funny thing is that people who plays this asking this and that like in real life and guess what there is nothing free in the real world. you think that there is a preview of your hair when you go to the barbers??what you became an allstar player in 1 day?? even Curry took what 5-6 years to develop in to a great player. and you people. doing it in 1 day and still want realistic?? they gave you a chance and still complain.
then why is the offline mode so limited to the point you can't even change your hair nor your animations. If they gave me a full game offline where I could just earn skill points to level my player like the 2K10 days then cool. But thats long and gone. You're being obtuse for no reason.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #68
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to side with the MyPlayer people (thought that I would NEVER see the day where I would type out those words, lol). I'm not an avid MyPlayer user, but I dabble in it every now and then.

Although I think the MyPlayer mode ruins other modes, because 95% of patches are mostly catered to that crowd, people have NO RIGHT to tell them to stop complaining about VC. Especially if VC earnings is not comparable to the price of the items being bought. To me, virtual currency across ALL games and platforms is just a bad thing. Virtual Currency is the devil of video games, and it's the main reasons why I don't play some games.

I rooted my phone and downloaded the Android game Marvel Puzzle Quest. Since my phone was rooted, I was able to get unlimited in-game currency to buy new cards. Let me tell you...I got a LOT in-game currency, and I'm still don't have everything I want. I can't imagine spending real money on that game. People would go broke just to get a "descent" deck of cards.

NBA 2K looks like it's going the same direction. 1K for a haircut and facial hair that was free before???? Come on, man! Even I got to scream foul play on that! I would have to play 3 games of PNO just to get a haircut for my character. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine how many games that I would have to play just to move MyPlayer from a 60 to a 70....
Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #69
Rookie

TBBF's Arena

VC shouldn't be this heavily in MyCareer. It just shouldn't. If you pay full price for a game you should be able to experience its main feature (sorry but it really is) without having to pay an extra $60.

For the people saying 'but all RPGs are like this!', this isn't an RPG. It's a sports game. This is the career mode of a sports game. If VC was just for MyTeam and buying packs of players etc? Yeah sure. That's entirely optional, and a feature of FIFA, Madden, etc. But none of those games have microtransactions in their single player story modes. It's just greed.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #70
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I'm sorry, but I HAVE to side with the MyPlayer people (thought that I would NEVER see the day where I would type out those words, lol). I'm not an avid MyPlayer user, but I dabble in it every now and then.

Although I think the MyPlayer mode ruins other modes, because 95% of patches are mostly catered to that crowd, people have NO RIGHT to tell them to stop complaining about VC. Especially if VC earnings is not comparable to the price of the items being bought. To me, virtual currency across ALL games and platforms is just a bad thing. Virtual Currency is the devil of video games, and it's the main reasons why I don't play some games.

I rooted my phone and downloaded the Android game Marvel Puzzle Quest. Since my phone was rooted, I was able to get unlimited in-game currency to buy new cards. Let me tell you...I got a LOT in-game currency, and I'm still don't have everything I want. I can't imagine spending real money on that game. People would go broke just to get a "descent" deck of cards.

NBA 2K looks like it's going the same direction. 1K for a haircut and facial hair that was free before???? Come on, man! Even I got to scream foul play on that! I would have to play 3 games of PNO just to get a haircut for my character. That's crazy to me. I can't imagine how many games that I would have to play just to move MyPlayer from a 60 to a 70....
17 games on mycareer for me to reach 70 ovr
Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #71
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

At least the cosmetic options aren't in loot crates.

This does feel exploitative, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #72
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBBF
VC shouldn't be this heavily in MyCareer. It just shouldn't. If you pay full price for a game you should be able to experience its main feature (sorry but it really is) without having to pay an extra $60.

For the people saying 'but all RPGs are like this!', this isn't an RPG. It's a sports game. This is the career mode of a sports game. If VC was just for MyTeam and buying packs of players etc? Yeah sure. That's entirely optional, and a feature of FIFA, Madden, etc. But none of those games have microtransactions in their single player story modes. It's just greed.
I am sure if 2k took out VC as an option to upgrade your player today and told everyone you start at 50 and grind your way to 99, people would cry bloody murder, how they don't have time because of their wife, kids job, etc... sure you can argue that you should get at least one free hair cut at the start of the game with more option but everything else i don't agree should be immediate available especially since VC can be earned throughout the game without having to paying for it.

Last edited by coolcras7; 09-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »