Home

NBA 2k18 Freelance Offense Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 Freelance Offense Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k18 Freelance Offense Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
What is the difference between Motion Cuts and Scoring Actions?

Does it change the actions of the freestyle offense?

Thanks!
Motion cuts simply runs the freelance set you have selected.

Scoring actions is a bit more complex. The AI will make dynamic reads based on what is going on in the game at that moment, and is affected by what you have selected as your gameplan and by what assigned play-call types each player has assigned.

It might branch into a pick & roll play if the current ball handler runs that type of play, another nearby player runs that type of play as a screen setter, and if the floor spacing at that moment makes sense for a pick & roll play to be called. Or it might go into an impromptu iso, if certain factors line up for it.

The 2k16 freelance system had those dynamic reads of scoring actions built in, but they have since been separated into the vanilla version of motion cuts and the dynamic version of scoring actions.

Last edited by Doogie_Howitzer_WMD; 11-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #58
Rookie

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advise.

If anyone has had experience playing with the knicks, what's an effective freelance to run with them? If you dont play with the Knicks often most players on the team are pretty good 3 point shooting team with a few low post threats (Kanter,KP)

Any help is appreciated thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosantous
I'm new to this forum and looking for some advise.

If anyone has had experience playing with the knicks, what's an effective freelance to run with them? If you dont play with the Knicks often most players on the team are pretty good 3 point shooting team with a few low post threats (Kanter,KP)

Any help is appreciated thanks in advance
I play with the Knicks most of the time. I find the "Knicks" freelance (what they run in real life) to be sort of wonky in the game. I will get some decent looking branch options, but they don't seem to trigger consistently. Often times, I end up spending a good 10-15 seconds moving the ball around between the player at the point and the two players on the wings with various passes, dribble handoffs, and screens, but not really getting the offense to branch into anything else.

I mean, this works pretty well as a dribble-drive/kick-out offense (with that ball movement up top that I mentioned), and it has good floor spacing for user-initiated pick and rolls (especially if you use the guy occupying the low post), but don't expect too much more from it than that. If that suits what you like to do, go for it. I'm just not always looking for that kind of play style.

Now, the freelance I use most often is Flow. The spacing is 3-out/2-in, with one big in the low post, and the other big in the high post. It's best when you have Kanter at C and Porzingis at PF. I generally only use motion cuts with it, because it has enough complexity to it on its own. I will call smart plays at times though to change things up.

I like Flow because it has a lot of nice branches and actions to it, and one of the branches runs through Porzingis. When you bring the ball up the floor to the top of the key, your first options to initiate the offense are to pass to big in the high post (usually Porzingis if he is playing PF) or to pass to the guard on the wing, or you can hold the ball and let some other actions happen. There are lots of good looks in it with all the different branches, but I really like giving it to the Porzingod; he's in a spot he can work out of with good spacing. Take the midrange jumper if guys play off of him. Drive left or right and go to the rim (initiate a post up and take them to task if they stop your drive attempt). And when you give Porzingis the ball here, this branch in the offense has off-ball screens going on around him that gets guys open for looks at 3-pointers.

There are also a few freelance sets that I run with scoring actions, like Hawks, Horns, Through, and Floppy. Running things with scoring actions takes some experimenting with different gameplan settings (share the ball, get shooters open, pick and roll, etc.) and much of that comes down to personal preferences.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #60
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647;
What is the difference between Motion Cuts and Scoring Actions?

Does it change the actions of the freestyle offense?

Thanks!
I’ve a different take from doogie. Take classic bulls for example.
Both motion cuts and scoring actions run the same freelance offense. With motion cuts, u will keep seeing Longley at the post within the triangle, predictably. With scoring action, u will see MJ (or Pippen) in the post within the triangle. The ACE definitely reads the players’ tendency and assign the best possible scoring options to attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 1

what freelance resembles what the raptors run irl?

they got a 3-2 in the game yet havent run that in years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davon_A_Brown
Swing/Motion Cuts
can we please have a list of default freelance teams run from the original 2k roster? thx.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
did the triangle get neutered lol. I could run it to perfection on 17. now it seems like a lot of the actions are gone

Even on scoring actions it’s all isolation plays. Very easy to defend.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #64
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

noob question: how do you activate the freelance offense? Seems like it just automatically starts if a previously selected play breaks down?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »